Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:34 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times

Advertisements

I almost cannot remember what my sofa looks like. I keep covers on them all the time. Some day when the cats are all gone I may see it again, but for now slip covers are the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 10:44 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrose60 View Post
We just bought a brand new quite expensive sectional, I cannot for the life of me keep our cat off this one cushion, she already has a permanent dent in it and freaking hair all over it. Sprays are not working... Any advice before it is totally ruined? A very nice brand new cat condo is sitting right beside the sectional.
Find a blanket or rug that appeals to her, and make a bed for her on that spot on the sofa. You can remove it when you need to & to wash it, and that will minimize hair build up on the fabric. You could do the same thing with a simple sheet or towel.
I don't know how experienced you are with cats, but if you expect her to stay off of selected pieces of furniture (or all of them), you are in for a major uphill battle. You'll be better off (the cat will too) if you try to accommodate her, and work around it as best you can. As the other poster said, it's her home too.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:58 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
How did your cat dent your sofa? How heavy is this cat???

Old 03-23-2015, 09:01 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
You will not succeed in keeping a cat off the sofa. Sure, she may not be on it when YOU are there, but the minute you leave the area....she'll be on it.

So....make life easier on yourself AND your cat and simply throw a few blankets on the sofas or put slipcovers on them. Problem solved.

After all, what is more important...the sofa, or your cat?

Finally, you KNEW you had a cat when you bought the furniture....why in the heck did you not take that into consideration when you purchased it?

If you cat is "denting" your sofa, it's not a very high quality piece of furniture anyway.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:05 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,138 times
So true Peachsalsa! We just bought a new sofa and got something that wouldn't be a magnet for cat hair plus we didn't want any leather because of their claws. It was a win-win for the family and the kitties.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
You will not succeed in keeping a cat off the sofa. Sure, she may not be on it when YOU are there, but the minute you leave the area....she'll be on it.

So....make life easier on yourself AND your cat and simply throw a few blankets on the sofas or put slipcovers on them. Problem solved.

After all, what is more important...the sofa, or your cat?

Finally, you KNEW you had a cat when you bought the furniture....why in the heck did you not take that into consideration when you purchased it?

If you cat is "denting" your sofa, it's not a very high quality piece of furniture anyway.
Sofa= material possession

Cat= family member (or should be)

I would think a person sitting in it would 'dent' it much worse than the cat.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:32 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrose60 View Post
We just bought a brand new quite expensive sectional, I cannot for the life of me keep our cat off this one cushion, she already has a permanent dent in it and freaking hair all over it. Sprays are not working... Any advice before it is totally ruined? A very nice brand new cat condo is sitting right beside the sectional.
The problem with most disciplinary methods is you have to be there to catch the animal in the act. So get a Scat Mat. It gives a mild electric shock when the animal walks on it and will work even when you're not around. Most animals only need a few shocks before they learn to avoid the area.

They cost around $50 or so depending on the size, and you can buy them at pet stores or on Amazon.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:56 AM

11 posts, read 21,163 times
Train her to stay away from it otherwise cover up sofa with flannel sheets.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:21 AM

6 posts, read 5,383 times
I have a long-haired cat and an Australian Shepherd, and the single one thing they can agree on is that the couch belongs to them! So if training doesn't work...my mom gave me one of these that she saw in Cat Fancy...one for her and one for me, and we both LOVE them!
About the BE FOREVER FURLESS brush | Lilly Brush
It only takes about 20 seconds to clean my whole couch. You can brush in any direction and the hair just gathers on top of the brush. I've had mine for 3 months and it still looks like it's brand new. One thing though, I think it works best on longer fur...

Old 03-26-2018, 12:29 AM

1 posts, read 913 times
Try using mouse traps. Now before you think I'm a cat murderer, please here me out. Set the mouse traps on the specified furniture, but upside down. Lay a heavy blanket over the mouse traps-two per couch cushion-but be careful not to Spring the traps.
When kitty jumps onto the blanket covered furniture, the traps pop and Spring up vertically, scaring the fur balls out of the cat! Be sure to use a heavy blanket and not a light sheet so as to protect your precious pet. After a few times of experiencing this, kitty finds somewhere else to chill.
See? I'm a cat lover afterall!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats