Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 PM

369 posts, read 759,932 times

Advertisements

When I was giving my Neptune belly rubs this afternoon, I noticed his penis was sticking out a little and it looked like there was some blood on it. Everything I'm reading online says this is a sign of cystitis, but he's not showing any of the other symptoms. He's eating and drinking normally, no vomiting, not straining to pass urine, and he doesn't seem to be in pain or lethargic. Right now he's rolling all around my living room playing with a toy mouse. Is it likely he has cystitis with only the one symptom or is there something else that could cause this? He's been sneezing a lot for the past two days too, I'm not sure if it's related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyJaneway View Post
When I was giving my Neptune belly rubs this afternoon, I noticed his penis was sticking out a little and it looked like there was some blood on it......
Blood on a cat's penis is never a good sign. I hope you've already decided to take him to your vet for a good checkup.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Yes, I'll be calling tomorrow. I was just hoping someone had heard of other causes for it besides cystitis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Blood on a cat's penis is never a good sign. I hope you've already decided to take him to your vet for a good checkup.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:43 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Sometimes the urine can darken the fur around that area. I would still take him to the vet anyway because it could be something else and the sneezing. Maybe he had a mild UTI or passed some crystals. UTIs can come back so don't wait around. I would keep a close eye on him until the vet appointment. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
I agree you should take him in for a check-up, BUT I have noticed before that some of our boys are rather "vigorous" when they are cleaning themselves. Is it possible that what you saw was not actually blood, but just a very pink and wet penis after his cleaning himself? Is he neutered? I ask because I have seen males who are somewhat "aroused" and appear to be injured when in reality they are just "primed and ready to go"!! (You know what I mean - I'm having a hard time explaining myself here...

Old 06-10-2013, 02:07 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
If the clean like crazy down there you should go in for a check up too. Its one of the habits when there is a problem downstairs. Better safe than sorry. Updates?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. He is neutered. He has a vet appointment this afternoon and I'll come back and let you know what the vet says. He still hasn't developed any other symptoms, and his sneezing has improved. I saw his penis again yesterday and I'm starting to think it may be what CFoulke suggested, just the color after a good cleaning. I just adopted him last week (with a clean bill of health from the shelter), so I don't know yet what's normal for him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats