Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,117 times

Advertisements

Nice idea. My cats are Orion, named after the cat in Men in Black because I liked the goofy movie and he's gray and white. I got him from the shelter and he weighed only 13 ounces, I had NO idea he'd grow to be a giant, he's a lovely, gentle boy, the vet thinks he's probably mixed with Norwegian Forest, it doesn't matter he stole my heart =)

Then there's Joe. He's named for my friend who likes her coffee almost black, just a drop of milk please. Yup, he's almost all black with just a small dab of white on his chest, it looks as if someone touched him with a paint brush. He doesn't care for dogs AT ALL but plays with Scooter.

Scooter's name I can't claim. He was a neighbor's cat who kept running away when they got a new dog he didn't care for, he liked our puppy better =) He's well named as he scoots out the door frequently. He also has no tail, he was born that way although we doubt he's a Manx. He still loves the dogs and Joe as well, Orion doesn't care for the other cats much preferring the company of the dog as well.

Luckily the dogs, Judy (mixed breed) and Bruno (chocolate lab) like the cats. We're a happy, silly family with rather odd names =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:53 PM

861 posts, read 1,147,315 times
I was watching my new adopted cat playing while I was trying to think of a good name. He kept stealing toys from his new older brothers and I called to him: "quit bogarting the toys." I begain calling him Bogart and eventually settled on Humphrey, the name he proudly held for 17 years. Winston and Oliver have followed in his footsteps, but Ihave no idea why I call them that. Maybe I just went through an "English Royalty" phase?

Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 PM

112 posts, read 352,010 times
Last year, we adopted two cats We have Mr. Shankly - named for the beloved late coach of Liverpool Football Club. He was adopted from a shelter, and the name he had there was Jack Frost or Monstro. He answers to Shankly. Jack Frost I could have lived with, but he is definitely not a monster.

A few months after adopting Mr Shankly, we adopted Micah. Micha is an old man. He is 14 now, and weighed 17lbs when we got him. He is losing a tidge of weight. He is a beautiful all white cat. I am a bit distressed today because Micah started having diahorrea and vomiting tonight. He had been to the vet on Saturday for a cortizone shot because he was struggling. This evening he started being sick. DH took him to the vet and they gave him an injection and some tablets for tomorrow.

Back to Micah's story. We think that he was turned in to our vet years ago. A woman adopted him and lived happily with him until about 2009 when she had a stroke. Back he went to the vet and there he lived in the cage (of course out of the cage when possible as well) until we adopted him last year about this time. So he had been there for 3 years when we got him. He was 13 then. The vet was so thrilled that he now has a loving home and a little girl, they provide all his medical care for free.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lplkemc View Post
Last year, we adopted two cats We have Mr. Shankly - named for the beloved late coach of Liverpool Football Club. He was adopted from a shelter, and the name he had there was Jack Frost or Monstro. He answers to Shankly. Jack Frost I could have lived with, but he is definitely not a monster.

A few months after adopting Mr Shankly, we adopted Micah. Micha is an old man. He is 14 now, and weighed 17lbs when we got him. He is losing a tidge of weight. He is a beautiful all white cat. I am a bit distressed today because Micah started having diahorrea and vomiting tonight. He had been to the vet on Saturday for a cortizone shot because he was struggling. This evening he started being sick. DH took him to the vet and they gave him an injection and some tablets for tomorrow.

Back to Micah's story. We think that he was turned in to our vet years ago. A woman adopted him and lived happily with him until about 2009 when she had a stroke. Back he went to the vet and there he lived in the cage (of course out of the cage when possible as well) until we adopted him last year about this time. So he had been there for 3 years when we got him. He was 13 then. The vet was so thrilled that he now has a loving home and a little girl, they provide all his medical care for free.
What a lovely story lplkemc, I rescued a cat from the shelter when I adopted Orion. I didn't know her name but she was so placid I named her Pax. She was with me less than a year and died from cardiomyopathy. Orion and I were heartbroken which is why I adopted Joe. It is so sad when they become ill because they can't let us know they are ailing.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,932 times
Her name is Cassie and I got her from a public pet shelter. She was already named and I liked it. So I stuck with it.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:34 AM

511 posts, read 837,814 times
Gracie - my great Aunt Grace loved cats

Maisie Mouse - my daughter loves the character

Cotton Eyed Joe - my son insisted he be Cotton and it fit his personality.

We also currently have Dreamboat Annie, Jennieanydots, Picasso, Matisse, Frieda, Thumbelina, Hello Kitty, Carlin and two my kids named after themselves. All are temporary though.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Stella Luna because she looks just like the bat in a children book named Stella Luna.

However we often call her by the name the local shelter gave here when she escaped and stayed with them for a day and a half - Evil Princess of Darkness

Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Bobbles was named for the verb because she was bobbling around when we found her.

I just realized that noun means mistake or blunder. Poor Bobbles.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
My cat's name is burgler, I have been called burgler since I was 15

Old 10-11-2013, 11:59 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Besa was named by her original owner who said it was "kisses" in Spanish. My boy cat is Yoshi, a name my young son had picked (from a video game) a year before we actually got the cat .I had a big orange tabby who was called Titan. It was so fitting I'm going to have Titan II if I ever get another orange cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats