Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:26 AM

36,330 posts, read 15,927,686 times

Advertisements

Bridget for my old female~~for Bridget Jones Diary
George~~For George Burns, I want a dog named Gracie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 AM

484 posts, read 756,465 times
All the cats I have had have been rescues, and I have kept their rescue names sort of like an homage to their caretaking, idk. I did bring Camille in a few weeks ago to the vet, and the vet tech I had was the daughter of the rescuer! She remarked that she was so happy I had kept her name, so I felt good about that. (Off topic - I found out that day that my poor little Camille is likely suffering from Idiopathic Hypercalcemia)

Old 06-13-2013, 12:52 PM

41,695 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Later I thought it would be neat to have 2 cats, a male named Malarkey and a female named Shenanigans.
Love it!

I always wanted to give birth to twins -- a girl and a boy -- and name them Barbie and Ken.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times
Oscar is named after my beloved grandfather. Nobody in the family liked his name but we all loved him. My mother used to say "I wouldn't even name a cat Oscar." I think he would have thought it funny. He was a dear.

Langley is named after a favorite but long since dead soap opera charter Langley Wallingford on All My Children. He was married to Phoebe. You have to be really OLD to remember him.

Pumpkin -the last outdoor cat I had, was a big orange rescue kitty who kind of named himself.

Alice came from Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Gracie -a beautiful but incredibly dumb angora persian was suitably named cat

BeeBoo- named herself appropriately
Harry- ditto

Barbara after Barbra Streisand cause she had a funny nose

Boyfriend- came along when Barbara went into heat and I referred to him as "That Boyfriend Cat". After Oscar he was my all time favorite cat with so much personality. He died at 16 of heartworms.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
Kona: When I first adopted her, I named her "Rajah" after the character (tiger) in Aladdin, just because I liked the name and movie. But I quickly realized that didn't roll off the tongue very easily, and then she started to develop coffee-colored Siamese points... so I switched it to "Kona," after the coffee.

Cyrus: He's a purebred Persian, so I decided to look for a traditionally Persian name. When I found Cyrus in a name book, it said he was once the King of Persia, and freed the Jewish slaves at that time. He thinks he's royalty (don't all cats, lol), and I'm Jewish - so it was the perfect choice!

Bindi: She is a tuxedo cat, but has a little white marking on her head like an Indian bindi... my co-worker at the time was an Indian woman, and she recommended either that name or "Shanti." I liked both, but decided "Bindi" suited her personality a little better.

I also have a dog named Rudy, and he was named after both Rudy Galindo (the figure skater, who I know personally) and Rudolph Valentino. I adopted him right before Valentine's Day 2005, and he has those heart-piercing brown eyes like the movie star, so that name just popped into my head. When I told Rudy Galindo about this, he reminded me that he too is named after Rudolph Valentino - his given name is actually Val Joe Galindo! It was fate.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:13 PM

6,546 posts, read 4,691,920 times
I have one cat. His name is Keyser Sozay, after the character in the movie "The Usual Suspects". (not sure of the spelling of Keyser Sozay!)

My daughter named him after the character from her brother's favorite movie.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:05 AM

4,881 posts, read 13,742,426 times
Puppy: For years a friend and I would argue over whether I should be adopted by a cat or a dog. I compromised by saying I'd name the next cat who came to live with me "Puppy." On 12/04/92 this same person brought over two "cat-olescents" for an early Christmas surprise, and I kept my promise with the male of the pair.

Weasie: The other half of my 1992 Xmas gift. As soon as she'd been sprung from her carrier she was dashing around the house, her skinny body not yet caught up with its long legs. Since I couldn't make anything work with "Mongoose" I settled on the name of that furry beast's cousin the weasel. And it didn't hurt that I'm a huge fan of "The Jeffersons." (When we'd watch reruns and George Jefferson would bark, "Weezie!" my Weasie would snap her head toward the TV. LOL)

Blaliko: She started visiting during the summer of 2011, attracted to the "feeding station" I'd taken to leaving on the back porch that year to help the spiked feral/stray cat population in my neighborhood. (I spin the story by saying Weasie brought her around as a successor. In hindsight I'm pretty confident that Weeze's terminal liver cancer had probably invaded at about the exact time Blaliko first showed up.) As for the name? Since her coat looks like what would result if a tortoiseshell cat and a calico mated - black with caramel "highlights" above, calico markings below - it came naturally. The "k" is there because many Japanese parents put a "ko" suffix on their daughters' names. It means "little," the same as "ette" on Antoinette or "ita" on Juanita. Blaliko is my first cat whose name written in Japanese can include a Chinese character instead of just the basic alphabet letters.

Seteria: Blaliko got preggers before I was able to TNR, and Seteria was 1/6 of the result. Her siblings were rounded up in time for ready adoption, but not her. So after taking the necessary drastic measures to make TNR happen I kept her in our home, and that's where she and her mom will stay for as long as fate keeps them in this life. The name, you ask? Seteria was a classmate during elementary school, whose name I'd only heard that one time. For its uniqueness it was one of the names I had on a list for future cats.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,421,207 times
Our current cat is called Squeeky, due to her rather odd sounding voice. She has a sound like a squeaky toy, and she also has a unusual sounding purr. She sounds like a V8 engine with a loose spark plug wire, kind of up and down, and out of synch.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:46 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,513,836 times
I currently have two male rescue cats.

My little red one came with the name Luke and, since he responds to it, has kept it.

My second one (a black and white long hair tuxedo) is also a rescue. He never responded to his prior name and so I renamed him. He now responds very well to Cat Mandu.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,685,747 times
I'm running out of names. Over the years we have had various house cats and they were named:

Sylvester, Sniffy, Scooter, Alto, and Sassy. Our current house cats are Lucky, Chewy, and Daisy.

In addition, we have had a bunch of feral cats that we feed at our shop every day and they have been named:

Mama kitty, Schmoo, Whiskers, Scaredy Cat, Sad Faced Daddy Cat, F.T (short for Furry Tail), Smokey, Snowball, and Mini Schmoo. I have a feral living in my shop office and she is simply Mama Cat because I am fresh out of ideas and no name strikes me as perfect for her.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats