Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 11:15 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

Unscented is always better, but clumping should not be used for kittens under six months old. Plain old clay, or pine pellets.

At her age any diet changes are likely to result in digestive upsets and loose and smelly poops until her body adjusts. You can use a probiotic, that will help, though I'm not sure how much for an 8 week kitten. Ask her vet.

Avoid canned foods that contain fish, grains, fruits and veggies, and carrageen. All of those will make for stink.

Last edited by catsmom21; 06-27-2013 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I suspect it was a change in moist food. Which foods result in less smelly litter boxes?
Once she adjusts to the change in food, she might not be so stinky. Be patient.

Quote:
I also need litter brand suggestions. I don't like the smell of this litter even when it's clean.

It's a scented Arm & Hammer. Yuck.
I use a mix of Arm and Hammer unscented and Dr. Elzey's Precious Cat. I like Precious Cat the best -- very low dust -- but mix it with the Arm and Hammer. I can't remember which unscented Arm and Hammer I use -- there's Super Scoop and Multi Cat. One I liked, one I didn't. I'll post when I get home. Film at 11.

Either way, don't use clumping litter for a kitten. They have a tendency to eat it, and you don't want that stuff clumping in her little intestines. There are unscented, non-clumping litters. You can switch to a clumping litter in a few months.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I will say this in case you are not aware - dogs absolutely love to raid the litter boxes and pick up snacks. It is vile, disgusting, and gross. When I was single and had my cats and my Pomeranian (RIP Cassie) I ended up keeping their litter boxes in the spare bedroom and a baby gate in place so she couldn't get in there. The very thought of her doing that, and then trying to kiss me.....I still gag thinking about it.....urf...
I know! My basset eats cat poop he finds in the yard! We're just supervising the box right now. I'll figure out a long term solution later. I was thinking of putting a cat door on the door to the basement. We could put the litter box on the basement stair landing. That's where we keep the kitchen garbage can. It makes sense to keep smelling stuff all in the same place! The only problem with this plan is the door is over 100 years old. I'm not sure I want to ruin the integrity of the door. If I don't figure out an alternative, we might do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Unscented is always better, but clumping should not be used for kittens under six months old. Plain old clay, or pine pellets.
Hmmmm......does that apply to all clumping ones? The lady at the cat store warned me about dusty type ones that aren't good for kittens, but she specifically recommended this particular litter we're using and it does clump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Either way, don't use clumping litter for a kitten. They have a tendency to eat it, and you don't want that stuff clumping in her little intestines. There are unscented, non-clumping litters. You can switch to a clumping litter in a few months.
I guess this is clumping. I'll buy something else today. I hope she doesn't get mad at me for changing the type of litter.

Quote:
Avoid canned foods that contain fish, grains, fruits and veggies, and carrageen. All of those will make for stink.
Fish! That explains it! Note to self: Never buy fish again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012
And since I'm posting ... any photos of the kitty and doggy getting along?
Here are the latest photos of her below!

None of them getting along yet. We're actively involved when they're that close together. I'll work on it.

She has been hanging out in my laptop bag for the past few days. This grouping of luggage is like her fort. It's a good excuse to procrastinate putting the luggage away.

Playing last night:

She ventured to the other room today. Here is where I found her. Looking at the photo, I realize I need to dust back there. Maybe she'll do the dusting for me.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
Good lord she's tiny!!! Red is definitely her color......any permanent name yet? I vote for Belle (aka stinkerbell) !!!!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:57 AM

484 posts, read 760,831 times
I love her sockssssss omg.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 PM

Stickerbell is appropriate! But my son is sticking with Bobbles. It's growing on me.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:04 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Bobbles is a beautiful girl! I have an aversion to bells on collars though. A cat's hearing is extremely sensitive and constant jingling in her ears must be a real irritation. People say "the cat gets used to it" but my opinion is, why should she have to?

One tip: don't take the advice of pet store employees on what is best for your kitten, always check with us first.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:06 PM

She used to walk around meowing at inanimate objects.

Now that she's hiding places, my dog is barking at furniture.

They're both insane!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Bobbles is a beautiful girl! I have an aversion to bells on collars though. A cat's hearing is extremely sensitive and constant jingling in her ears must be a real irritation. People say "the cat gets used to it" but my opinion is, why should she have to?
That's an interesting point. I think we need it for now. She's starting to venture further and further away from her fort. She's just too young to let her disappear for a long time. But I won't need a bell her once she is securely acclimated to the house and family.

Quote:
One tip: don't take the advice of pet store employees on what is best for your kitten, always check with us first.
Too funny! You're right!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:47 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Do any of your box springs have the pellon linings on them destroyed? Ours does - the kids love to climb up under and into the box springs - humans NEVER think to look there!!! I've gotten down on the floor to check their hidey-holes and found as many as six little eyes staring back at me before!!!!!
Good info'.... I'll look up and check and see. I don't really know what's under the boxsprings. There just might be a hole somewhere and the little stinker is crawling up and hiding there for her naps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats