Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Bobbles might as well get used to what it's normally like here while she's young. She's proving to be very adaptable if you don't switch her litter.
Every cat has his/her breaking point; I think you've found Bobbles'!

My mom's neighbor had a dog like your neighbor's dog -- she was a little mini dachshund, and if she was in their yard and heard us so much as open the door, she'd bound over to our yard to see what was going on. She always wanted to play with our cat, who of course wanted nothing to do with this ridiculous wriggling puppy.

Quote:
In a month or two, I'm going to slowly switch to unscented litter with the same texture by slowly adding unscented and slowly decreasing the scented over a period of a month if necessary.
In a month or two you can switch to a clumping litter, too; Bobbles will be old enough. I'll third the recommendation of Precious Cat Ultra -- what little dust there is bothers be not one bit, unlike cheaper litters like Target (ugh - uber dusty!) or perfumed litters like Tidy Cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,126,623 times
What a cute kitten. I am so glad that you saved her.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:29 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
I missed this part. The cat allergies are doing okay, not severe. The litter allergy is challenging. Add both allergies together at the same time and he struggles on occasion. The litter is powerful perfume smelling stuff. It's more disgusting smelling than what happens in the litter box. We're going to try to ride it out until we can relocate her litter out of his room. In a month or two, I'm going to slowly switch to unscented litter with the same texture by slowly adding unscented and slowly decreasing the scented over a period of a month if necessary.
What kind of litter are you using?

I had a cat for 22 years and when he got really old I had to help my little buddy out and get him a litter box. I used Arm and Hammer unscented. It worked great! I recall it was hard to find and I could only find it at my local PetSmart.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Not sure what to think of this. She is charging the basset's face and spitting at him while he's sleeping. She stops just an inch away. It has happened three times within the past five minutes.

The basset won't even respond. I wish he would. My Labrador would have never put up with this treatment (he put all annoying puppies in their place), but my basset has always been super submissive. His eyes get huge like he's in terror and he slowly starts to move away. I told him "it's okay" and got him to stay where he was sleeping.

I knew she would eventually terrorize him when he was sleeping. I just wasn't expecting that she would go for his face. I'm afraid she'll go one step further and jump his face, not attacking in a nasty way but attacking like she does her toys.

At the same time, she does the sweetest thing and curls up just a foot away from him staring at him like he's wonderful. I can tell she wants to sleep with him. I hope all of this charging and spitting is her way of trying to determine he is safe enough to cuddle with eventually. I sure hope she's not determining that he is a wimp!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:

At the same time, she does the sweetest thing and curls up just a foot away from him staring at him like he's wonderful. I can tell she wants to sleep with him. I hope all of this charging and spitting is her way of trying to determine he is safe enough to cuddle with eventually. I sure hope she's not determining that he is a wimp!
It sounds like she needs another kitten around her age for a playmate and kitty-company.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:42 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
It sounds like she needs another kitten around her age for a playmate and kitty-company.
Heh. Now you're causing trouble. But it's true, another kitten, especially older, or even an adult cat, could potentially have positive effect on the youngster's behavior. Not a guarantee though, that's the risk. Plus they'll maybe gang up on the poor old hound, LOL.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:26 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
It's just play.

Distract her with a stuffed animal toy about her size or slightly larger. This will help her understand what she can and can't beat up on. Kittens learn from their litter mates and mama how to play fight and how to hold back on teeth and claws.

Since she doesn't have that, she needs to learn in a different way. When she pounces at the dog's snout, or your hands and feet (which if it hasn't started yet, probably will) give her something she CAN pounce and beat up on. She will learn the difference.

In addition she can be distracted with throw and chase toys.

This would be about the right size ratio for her own stuffed animal:

or

Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Cute pics catsmom!

Thanks to everyone for validating that this is normal behavior but behavior she needs to learn isn't acceptable. I'll get her a new stuffed animal. The one she has and enjoys beating up is now smaller than her. It was the same size of her. She has grown an incredible amount in the past week. I need to take another can of beans picture. It's absolutely amazing how much she has grown.

Just for the record, Kitten Attract really works. I didn't even use a full litter of it. I just sprinkled it on the top of her old litter. When she uses her litter, she spends 10 minutes in there. She goes nuts for it. She plays in her litter. She hangs out in her litter box. I only sprinkled a 1/4 cup on top. Imagine what she'd do if the entire thing was full of Kitten Attract. What's in that stuff? LOL

Old 07-03-2013, 09:08 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Just for the record, Kitten Attract really works. I didn't even use a full litter of it. I just sprinkled it on the top of her old litter. When she uses her litter, she spends 10 minutes in there. She goes nuts for it. She plays in her litter. She hangs out in her litter box. I only sprinkled a 1/4 cup on top. Imagine what she'd do if the entire thing was full of Kitten Attract. What's in that stuff? LOL
That's funny. And good! What's in it? Dunno. Catnip, maybe? Among other things I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats