Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:25 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort3762 View Post
Just got 2 cat's meow in yesterday. One only has a grinding sound thought it was the batteries I was using was old, but new batteries did not resolve the issue. Tried the other one it ran for less than 15 minutes and won't come back on. These items have a 30 day guarantee less S&H. Just think how many million this company and others make just on S&H charges. Never again will I order from" AS SEEN ON TV" ads
It's not the S&H that they will make the money on. The problem with guarantees/warranties on a lower priced item is that it's not worth the hassle to repackage it and ship it back, and these days shipping can cost more than the item itself. Most people just won't bother trying to return it, and just write it off as experience. The companies that make this crap know this and count on it, knowing they won't have to honor the guarantee. They make their money on the initial round of purchases before word gets around about how bad the product is. Then it goes away and they move on to the next one. They could care less if the product fails... they've already got your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Was watching ESPN and a commercial for these came on ... [URL]https://www.getcatsmeow.com/[/URL] . I am VERY skeptical of most "as seen on TV" items, but this looks like something my kitties would like. OTOH I don't want to buy it if it's a piece of junk (which, alas, it likely is).

Anyone have one of these or something similar?
just got mine. takes (3) C batteries. typical junk from china. my cat sat on his scratching pad watching it. wasn't even interested in it. decided to go outside. in the trash they go. got the batteries on sale for $6/4.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:12 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Dance View Post
I won't waste my money. Everything out of China is cheaply made but costs us plenty. I use the three foot wand with string and feathers to give the cats and myself a workout. While watching TV, I sit on the floor and slip the other wand with feathers directly on the end under a throw. My Calico loves that and tries to entice me going to the spot and waiting. Those wands won't wear out and when the feathers get pulled away, I have piles of them in the craft bin.
There you go! I have a large selection of toys for my cats, both interactive and not. I bought some elastic to repair the strings when they go. As for trashy stuff from China... those "Pouncing Paws" toys cost $24 each and aren't worth more than $5, if that. There is nothing to them and as already said, they burn right out. The Co that imported and sold them is called KittyCity. They are on Facebook so I posted there and was told they no longer sell them so they can't replace them. Too many complaints I guess. We also bought a remote battery run mouse for $15 and that lasted no more than 10 minutes. We wont waste any more money on these expensive Chinese made *scam* toys meant to last minutes.

My Calico Callie used to bring me her mouse attached to an elastic cord and pole to play with. If I pretended to ignore her she would shake it to make the little jungle bell ring, drop it and look up at me. Then pick it up and shake and drop it again. But now, over a year old, she no longer wants to play with it.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:47 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,434 times
If anyone in Richmond or willing to cover the shipping wants mine, let me know, it's all yours!

Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Good to know. I was thinking of getting one for Sushi. He's very destructive when he's bored.
His latest favourite toy is a plastic bag filled with disposable cutlery. He drags it around everywhere.
Go figure.
Get a few of those interactive toys and play with him. They're pretty sturdy and easy to replace the elastic cords. You can really wear a cat out with them. My kitties would play and play until they were tired and need a nap. It gives them good exercise.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,625 times
yes, they are junk. weve had 3 now, first one lasted a month before the gears stripped. last moved too fast and was whipping my cats!!! not cool! and as soon as one pounced and the toy stopped moving it stripped all the gears. they do offer one in the doctors foster and smith catalog... im gonna try it. says it has 3 speeds, the "tarp" is red, and it only uses 3 aaa batteries as opposed to the 3 c batteries the cats meow needs ill keep ya poster

Old 11-04-2013, 07:50 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the raven 79 View Post
yes, they are junk. weve had 3 now, first one lasted a month before the gears stripped. last moved too fast and was whipping my cats!!! not cool! and as soon as one pounced and the toy stopped moving it stripped all the gears. they do offer one in the doctors foster and smith catalog... im gonna try it. says it has 3 speeds, the "tarp" is red, and it only uses 3 aaa batteries as opposed to the 3 c batteries the cats meow needs ill keep ya poster
If it doesn't have some sort of clutch mechanism designed into it, then it probably won't last much longer than the other one. Haven't seen the one you mentioned, so don't know. Let us know if this one is any better. My guys would love it.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:40 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,102 times
Imagine if it worked? I'm positive it CAN be done - we've managed to create a 3-D printer and they're not terribly expensive, it's the 'powder' that costs, LOL

Joe found a new toy tonight, we couldn't imagine what he had but it made a huge racket. Turned out to be a plastic corner that fell off a white board. I feel another 'reason why cats are better than children,' coming on...

Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,380 times
DO NOT PURCHASE "Cats Meow as seen on TV" I purchased the first one and I couldn't get the screw out for the batteries. The second one I took back because (in the sealed box) a part (the cap) was missing. The third one I took back because it was making a very high and abnoxious squeal (like a bad hearing aide). I was told that if I pulled out the "mouse wand" a little bit it would stop. I doesn't. This is a poorly made (China) toy. It has great possibilities, but your cat (or you) will not enjoy it "as it is". If it made a chirping sound, had a timer, other settings, or a attachment where you could attach a beloved toy it would be better, but once again IT SUCKS! DON'T BUY IT!!!! ZERO STARS!!!!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:56 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Yeah, we got one too, picked it up pretty cheap on sale at Walmart (but it's the same "as seen on TV" brand)...it's garbage.

Within a week it barely had the strength to move the wand at all. Husband tried to take it apart and fix it but he couldn't make it work any better. Nimbus liked it...when it worked...

Latest greatest toy: Jingly plastic ball with bell inside. We get them cheap, so when they get lost or broken, they cost less than a dollar apiece to replace.

Cats just don't really need high tech toys, although I think the most amusing high tech thing we did was putting a fishtank video on my computer monitor for him. He was intrigued by it but half-convinced the fish just had to be behind the monitor somewhere. It was funny for a little while, maybe 10 minutes before he lost interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats