U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 PM

4,676 posts, read 8,981,909 times

Advertisements

Cat nip toys are useless.

Buy the loose catnip.

Lily eats it first... then rolls around and gently plays.

Charcoal dives head first into it, eats a little... and then breakdances... and then tries to steal his sister's helping!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM

9,120 posts, read 7,571,359 times
All five of my cats enjoy the nip, but in varying degrees. 2 of them really get into it, 2 others not quite as much, and the last one has only a passing interest in it. But I think the catnip toys don't quite do it for them, and they prefer the loose variety.
When I met my wife in the early 90's, she had a very sweet all black tom cat named Mikey. He was a laid-back little guy mostly, but did have a knack for mischief. My wife grew her own catnip at the time, and kept a large baggie of it in our kitchen overhead cabinet. One year we went out to celebrate New Years Eve, and returned home about 1:00 am to find a complete disaster in our kitchen. Mikey had got up on the kitchen counter and somehow managed to pry open the old cabinet door and claim his prize. The quart-size freezer bag full of fresh catnip was ripped open and nearly all the nip was scattered everywhere, with Mikey laying on his back in middle of it half asleep. He had rolled & back-rubbed in it so much that we had to comb some of it out of his fur. He was quite drunk, and his twin brother Bo was hiding under the bed and would NOT come for anybody. The whole thing was hilarious of course, but I felt sorry for Mikey the next day. He wasn't quite his usual self and kept a low profile for a while. That was 20 years ago now, but whenever I think of catnip this little episode comes to mind.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:10 AM

303 posts, read 484,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Cat nip toys are useless.

Buy the loose catnip.

Lily eats it first... then rolls around and gently plays.

Charcoal dives head first into it, eats a little... and then breakdances... and then tries to steal his sister's helping!
Of my two kitties, Napoleon loves the loose catnip! He'll stick his head in the bag and then after eating some he'll roll around and tackle his toys. He doesn't like the catnip toys though, maybe they're not strong enough. My little girl Josie has zero response. She actually looks at me when her brother is "on catnip" as if to tattle tale on him. "Mom, look! He's doing kitty drugs again!" It's always an entertaining time when catnip comes out in my house.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,019,147 times
Something like 75% of cats respond to catnip. All three of our cats love it. When Scooter runs out that's how we lure him home =D

If you ever wonder if 'big' cats like it go to the Big Cat Rescue site and watch the video of the cats there when they're given paper bags containing catnip. Cats In A Spin Over Catnip

Old 07-15-2013, 05:15 PM

19,721 posts, read 14,372,149 times
We've had the same experience, some of our cats love it and some don't understand the attraction. My one Son had a cat, Sassy, who was NUTS about it. They had to keep it securely put away or she would find the bag and help herself. One time they were moving and packed it in a cardboard box. The next morning they found the box torn open and her laying there with catnip all over her body. She was in heaven.

We had one cat who was old and when we gave her catnip she reverted to a kitten, all feisty and tearing around the house, chasing the other cats. I feel like a drug dealer when I dole it out sometimes.

Something else I have found that no cat can resist is those Whisker Likins treats in the plastic bottle. Don't know what is in them but they love them. My new cat helps herself by knocking it off the counter and ripping the top off.

Don

Old 07-15-2013, 10:05 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,019,147 times
Don, I had something similar happen once. We kept the catnip in a drawer where we stored the checks and checkbook. I was in my early 20s and obviously didn't think about it. One evening while we were out at the movies we left the drawer slightly open. When we returned it looked as if it had been burglarized! Papers, checks, all the contents were strewn everywhere. The cat was in the middle of the pile, eyes glazed completely relaxed, LOL

Needless to say we found a secure place for the catnip after that!

Old 10-30-2020, 06:09 AM

13 posts, read 4,319 times
My cat loves catnip

Old 11-17-2020, 11:08 AM

7,478 posts, read 6,417,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverdalas View Post
My cat loves catnip
Only one of my three cats enjoys catnip. I buy the loose catnip, stuff an old sock with it, and knot it. Great big Nobby acts like a kitten...lays on the floor with the sock between his front paws or rolls around on it. I bought him catnip toys as well, but he prefers his sock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats