U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 04:19 AM

7,481 posts, read 13,130,881 times

Advertisements

I was just searching for a particular photo for another thread and opened a folder in my "Pictures" folder on my computer that I haven't looked at in a while. The first thing I saw was this photo ...

I swear my breath caught in my throat, then I had this visceral reaction of getting teary. That's Satay on the left and Mabel on the right ... I got them both as 6-week-old kittens from the Berkeley East Bay Humane Society in '91, then they moved with me to Michigan in '93, then New Hampshire in '02. Satay died in January 2006 and Mabel died in July 2007. They had long and happy lives with me, but wow, I was surprised by the depth of the pain of missing them, out of the blue.

There are times when I am cuddling with Hansel, my sweetie-pie kitty, and I whisper to him, "I wish you had known Satay because she was as sweet as you." Those are rather bittersweet moments.

Kitties don't live nearly long enough.

Gotta go hug my other kitties now. Have a great day, everyone.

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 07-12-2013 at 04:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 08:31 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,711,954 times
Awwwww.....Karen, I'm sorry. I do the very same thing sometimes and while it's painful, it's also so very sweet - that feeling of remembrance. You can feel their fur, hear them purring, feel the weight of them in your arms, and remember the sweetness of each one of them that makes them so very special to you. I find the more I love them, the more I want to love them. I can remember the names and quirks of virtually every animal I have ever had in my life - dogs, cats, horses, bunnies, even fish......and yet I sometimes forget some of the people who were important to me in my life at various times. Hold your memories dear and shower some love onto the lucky brood you have now. Have a good day and a good weekend too.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 AM

36,494 posts, read 44,791,159 times
allergies are really acting up today. I too remember pets from my entire and long life. i hope there really is a rainbow bridge.
Once during a particularly dark time in my life I had a dream I was laying in a beautiful meadow and cats and dogs from my life all came to cuddle with me and love me. I've always thought it was a glimpse into what I imagine and want heaven to be.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 AM

32,860 posts, read 61,065,503 times
Beautiful kitties you had there. Of course you miss them.

My sister, mom and I talk about our childhood cat all the time, especially her capers and quirks. She's been gone almost 30 years now, and my mom's house still doesn't seem them same without her sleeping on the rocking chair, or meowing at 2 a.m. to come in for the night, or stepping on my stomach while I'm dead asleep so she can get to the open window above my bed, or the time I let her in the door before I realized she had a live chipmunk in her mouth. LOL

I even miss my spouse's cat, who hated me. He was like a 3-year-old who didn't want Daddy to have a new Mommy. He hissed at me, swatted at me, left the room when I walked in. This cat didn't like the spouse much of the time, either, so I really didn't feel so bad. He was just a cranky old cat. I think I was able to pet him once or twice, and one of those times was just before we put him to sleep, poor kitty.

So now my husband and Bear are together again, with all the other cats he had in his lifetime. I don't think he was without a cat since he was a little kid, even during his worst poverty-stricket college years. That guy loved cats, which of course was one of the things that attracted me to him.

I don't even want think about my current cats' passing. They showed up in our backyard as kittens, and my husband and I tamed them together. When they go, so goes another part of my life with him, and I'm not sure I can handle that. Hopefully it won't be anytime soon; they are 7 years old now.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 AM

18,941 posts, read 11,962,274 times
It is a horrible thing to lose a beloved pet. We have had to say goodbye to 4 of ours in recent years, they got to be about 17 and they simply wore out. Two of them were Sniffy and Scooter, who were always underfoot at my shop. I had to constantly move them out of the way when I wanted to work on something and would find them laying beside me when I was working under a car.

Here they are in happier times.

They even had their own chairs to sit in and watch me work.

Don

Old 07-12-2013, 03:55 PM

8,708 posts, read 6,168,414 times
I too find it very difficult to look at photos of my cats, and dogs, who are no longer with me. Strangely enough, I can look at pictures of my late wife (gone 6 years now) and feel perhaps a little sad that she's no longer here, but not the deep sorrow... only good memories of the love we had for each other. But when I try to look at photos of the pets that have passed on since my wife died, I almost start to cry. The 2 dogs and 7 cats were ours together and of those, only 5 cats remain. They are all seniors now and I know the time will come when I'll have say goodbye to them one by one. They are a living connection to my wife, and that makes losing them even harder. I suppose someday I'll be able to look at their pictures, but right now I just can't do it.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:40 PM

I think the reason you feel that way about a cat vs a person is that animals are so helpless and look up to us for protection. When I look at pictures of the cats that have left our family I feel bad because they couldn't tell me if I was making the right decision or not. You always worry that those horrible words you have to say to the vet are the right ones, or if you should have tried harder to save them.

Don

Old 07-13-2013, 12:00 AM

7,481 posts, read 13,130,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Awwwww.....Karen, I'm sorry. I do the very same thing sometimes and while it's painful, it's also so very sweet - that feeling of remembrance. You can feel their fur, hear them purring, feel the weight of them in your arms, and remember the sweetness of each one of them that makes them so very special to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
allergies are really acting up today. I too remember pets from my entire and long life. i hope there really is a rainbow bridge.
Once during a particularly dark time in my life I had a dream I was laying in a beautiful meadow and cats and dogs from my life all came to cuddle with me and love me. I've always thought it was a glimpse into what I imagine and want heaven to be.
Candace and NK, as usual your kindness comes through in your posts. They actually reminded me that after Satay died and I was a total mess (a friend of mine called Satay my "soulmate kitty" because we were so bonded), I would desperately want to hold her just one more time ... and I would go to sleep and dream that she was there in my arms, purring her little head off. Those dreams were so amazing because I swear I could feel her and hear her and pet her. I would wake up sad that she was gone but cheered that I had been able to cuddle with her one more time.

When Mabel died a year and a half after Satay, I went through the same pain of course, but those dreams really helped a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Beautiful kitties you had there. Of course you miss them.

So now my husband and Bear are together again, with all the other cats he had in his lifetime. I don't think he was without a cat since he was a little kid, even during his worst poverty-stricket college years. That guy loved cats, which of course was one of the things that attracted me to him.

I don't even want think about my current cats' passing. They showed up in our backyard as kittens, and my husband and I tamed them together. When they go, so goes another part of my life with him, and I'm not sure I can handle that. Hopefully it won't be anytime soon; they are 7 years old now.
I don't think I could fall in love with a man who doesn't love animals, especially cats. May you and your current kitties have many many many more years together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I too find it very difficult to look at photos of my cats, and dogs, who are no longer with me. Strangely enough, I can look at pictures of my late wife (gone 6 years now) and feel perhaps a little sad that she's no longer here, but not the deep sorrow... only good memories of the love we had for each other. But when I try to look at photos of the pets that have passed on since my wife died, I almost start to cry. The 2 dogs and 7 cats were ours together and of those, only 5 cats remain. They are all seniors now and I know the time will come when I'll have say goodbye to them one by one. They are a living connection to my wife, and that makes losing them even harder. I suppose someday I'll be able to look at their pictures, but right now I just can't do it.
What a sweet post, Catdadx7. I completely understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I think the reason you feel that way about a cat vs a person is that animals are so helpless and look up to us for protection. When I look at pictures of the cats that have left our family I feel bad because they couldn't tell me if I was making the right decision or not. You always worry that those horrible words you have to say to the vet are the right ones, or if you should have tried harder to save them.
Don, I think you are right about that. I swear when my kitties look at me with those lovey-dovey eyes (I am laughing as I write this, but that describes it!), my heart just melts.

Thanks to all who replied ... you made me feel better. May you have fun with your kitties this weekend (and of course any humans who happen to be around too! ).

Old 07-13-2013, 02:02 AM

144 posts, read 227,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
I help maintain a feral cat colony and I miss the cats that just simply go missing and are never seen again. I wonder what happened to them. Atleast I did my part in making their lives a little more comfortable.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memberX View Post
I help maintain a feral cat colony and I miss the cats that just simply go missing and are never seen again. I wonder what happened to them. Atleast I did my part in making their lives a little more comfortable.
You took the thoughts right out of my head. I too feed some feral cats every night who live around my shop, and over they years I have seen so many of them come and go. When one of the regulars stops coming I know he or she has had something bad happen to them and my heart aches. We are down to only about 2 regulars coming around now, but here are some of the ones we used to have coming around:

Some of them became really close to us and would come into the shop while we worked and would play with toys we had for them and lay on a towel and just have a little bit of normalcy in their life.

I finally got fed up with seeing them disappear, especially the little kittens, so I started trapping the young ones and getting them adopted out. So far I have gotten 4 good homes, and I have gotten one Mama cat spayed so that will end the cycle for her at least. Here are the ones I got homes for:

This is the first one I trapped and got a home for. She lived in my shop office until I found her a home.

I have come to the same conclusion as you, I can't save all of the ferals in the world but if I can at least send a few to bed at night with a full belly that is something at least.

Don

Last edited by don1945; 07-13-2013 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats