U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-15-2007, 10:00 PM

19,941 posts, read 18,960,282 times
Well, looks like it can be done. I guess I'll find out next time. Thanks everyone!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-18-2007, 01:41 PM

3,517 posts, read 7,936,317 times
I put a harness on the cat and a leash before letting them out of the crate. More insurance on them panicking. In addition to all the other tips. I get howls for about 15 minutes then they give up and are quiet.

Unread 11-19-2007, 11:18 AM

786 posts, read 1,804,730 times
Default travel

When I moved from Atlanta to Charlotte, I had a 'dog crate' (wire) that Annabelle slept in to protect her from my roommates cat who would fight anybody and everything...thus her name TYSON. Put th hairballs and their litter box inside and took off. Bubba hollered for 45 minutes (scared me to death...he's usually so quiet) and then calmed down. Annabelle crawled into the litterbox and layed in the box the entire trip... I stopped and tried to give them water but nope didn't want. As soon as I got to the apartment and got the keys, took the crate with them inside and closed them in a closet with water inside and a blanket over the top....dark, quiet and safe. My family got there with the truck, peeked in and laughed. we got the truck unloaded, truck returned and went to dinner, when I got back I opened the crate door and they crept out and were fine. Subsequent trips back and forth to ATL they fuss a little but resigned themselves to the trip. I actually bought a smaller "travel" carrier - plastic and is easier to transport both inside...a little fussing then they usually sleep.

Unread 11-20-2007, 04:55 PM

650 posts, read 3,469,321 times
Have you considered finding a pet sitter instead of taking the cats on vacation with you? That might be easier.

But, if you still want to take them, a large dog-size kennel gives cats a lot of room. We bought a dog-size large carrier for our two cats to stay in, since it gave them more room. We drove with them about 10 hours when we moved recently. They didn't seem to mind the drive overall.

Unread 11-26-2007, 07:08 AM

19,941 posts, read 18,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Have you considered finding a pet sitter instead of taking the cats on vacation with you? That might be easier.

But, if you still want to take them, a large dog-size kennel gives cats a lot of room. We bought a dog-size large carrier for our two cats to stay in, since it gave them more room. We drove with them about 10 hours when we moved recently. They didn't seem to mind the drive overall.
I was taking her to my mothers, but she won't be able to do it next time, and I don't want to leave her with a stranger.

Unread 11-29-2007, 01:15 PM

1,223 posts, read 3,169,083 times
Default We moved cross country with 3 cats

In July, my husband and I moved from Maryland to Arizona with our 3 cats. After debating several strategies, here's what we ended up with:

We have a Subaru Baja (car/truck - kind of like the old brats, but we have a cover on the bed). We folded down the back seat so they had access to the bed (it's securely covered). There was a litter pan back there that they could use. We spread blankets and cat beds throughout the vehicle. We had netting set up b/t the front and back seats so they couldn't get up front and distract the driver. We even had one of their smaller "trees" set up so they could lay on that and look out the window. We also hooked up a large rabbit water bottle that they drank from w/o having water sloshed all over the car.

We only used a crate to take them from the car into the hotels each night. They were a lot better than we expected. But one other thing we did was give them very very low doses of acepromazine each morning (just to mellow them out a bit). They were nowhere near knocked out, but it helped to ease their anxiety - none of them have ever been cooperative travelers.

Unread 11-29-2007, 01:18 PM

46,509 posts, read 40,869,286 times
worst scenario, she does not like it. keep her in her cage . she is guna yowl count on it. ear plugs? not all cats react the same. some love it. no cage no nothing. they are funny creatures.

Unread 11-29-2007, 04:30 PM

7,793 posts, read 11,162,704 times
traveled 3,000 miles with my cat .

Next summer , I am planning to move to Portland from Long Island and , of course, Gracie will come with me. I would need to stay in motels (the way I drive, it might take over ten days....) Would I need to mention to the motel people that I have a cat? Would we get kicked out? Is there any other way of getting a tiny Honda and a cat safely across the country?

Unread 11-29-2007, 09:00 PM

7,684 posts, read 8,183,707 times
Suggestion for cats who hate car-rides: Kitty Tranqs.

Unread 11-30-2007, 12:01 AM

11,806 posts, read 12,419,087 times
The cats I have had go ballistic in a car. Sensory overload, since they have always been indoor cats, plus maybe some of them associated car travel with going to the vet. Maybe they'd get used to it if I had driven them around more often, but I doubt it. I agree withstrawberryfield that tranquilizers from the vet are a good idea. A yowling cat can ruin a trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats