Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 PM

135 posts, read 189,870 times

Advertisements

lots of interesting info here. Thanks for posting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Just a warning - drooling may be a sign of a health problem.

15 years ago I had a wonderful old cat, Jeremy. He was not a kneeder/drooler, so when he started to drool, and his drool was yellowish, I took him to the vet. Vet said there was nothing wrong, that drooling was normal.

4 months later he was dead from a squamous cell cancer in his esophagus. I had taken him to a different vet for exam a few months after going to the first vet, and even though she operated to remove the cancer, he had to be euthanized a few weeks after that operation.

I don't think I'll ever forgive that first vet for not catching the problem when I first took Jeremy in. Take a history, vets out there, and listen to the pet owners, they know when something is different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
True, and honestly as stoic as cats are I'd almost say...anytime something is different, watch the cat like a hawk and prepare to take it to the vet. Noticeable behavior changes are usually not a good sign. Drooling...if the cat is snuggling and purring and it happens, fine. But if the cat is just sitting there and drool is coming out of its mouth for no apparent reason, or if it's foamy or smelly or if the cat suddenly starts drooling... I would not only go to the vet, but if the vet tried to tell me it was just nothing, without doing any real testing, I'd throw a fit--or get a new vet.

More commonly than cancers of the mouth/throat, cats can get dental problems and I'm sure that certain kinds of pain in the mouth (which a vet should be able to remedy) would cause a cat to drool.

Good call 601.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats