U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 11:38 AM

18,435 posts, read 27,943,356 times

Advertisements

Well, we took Charlie in for some follow up shots today and it is the first time this vet saw him. Last time we had to see another one of the drs because she was not in. We always try and get her.

She examined him all over. Did a few things to see how he would react, etc. She does agree he has CH. She was wondering if maybe his eyesight was bad and that could have been some of his issues. She checked that.

She told us someone brought in a kitten the other day. Eight weeks old with head trauma. Just euthanize it please, they said.

She overheard it in the back ground and thought to her self that she could fix that.......and she did. The kitten was bleeding from the nose and the owners just didn't care. It can't be helped, just kill it.

Anyways, she was looking at Charlie, felt he was just the coolest cat ever, I told her we only have cool cats, she laughed and said this is true.

She asked us if we were looking to bring home another kitten. Eight week old orange female tabby. She said very rare to have an orange tabby be a female!

I told her I used to have one named Lucy! She said that is the kittens name!!!

Well, I said no to the kitten. I suppose one more wouldn't make a heck of a difference, but I know SO doesn't want another cat.

For now, she has her at her house, taking care of her along with her other pets and is currently looking for a home for the kitten whose little life she saved.

I really love that about her. I knew she was a great vet. Now I know she is a great person!

Charlie is doing A-OK, by the way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 12:26 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,724,513 times
Glad to hear Charlie's doing so well. But I'm not surprised... being in a loving home (and a good vet) makes all the difference in the world.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:28 PM

15,218 posts, read 9,158,348 times
I love your vet too!

and good news about Charlie!

Old 07-20-2013, 03:19 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,293,360 times
Wow....you do have a great vet and one with a true heart for animals. I am so happy that Charlie is progressing so nicely - but with you two as parents and KK as a doting big brother, I would not have expected any less. So far, at all of the different vets offices I have gone to over the years, I do find that lady vets are the most thorough, interested, listen better, and just more nurturing towards my cats than the guys are. Our current vets are husband and wife - he mostly does farm animals - cows, horses, pigs...and she mostly does the small animals. I adore both of them - but their styles are totally different and sometimes they disagree on diagnosis and treatment. They confer, but each make their own decisions on how to proceed with treatment. My heart started racing when you were talking about the little red headed girl - I almost thought you might say yes....but I understand your and SO's decisions not to adopt another. That baby will no doubt find the home she is meant to be in - she may be in it already. I did have a little red female named Thomasina when I was a little girl - and my dad accidentally ran over her backing out of the garage one day. I do love the little gingers...and grays...and tuxedos....and calicos....(see where this is going?? THAT'S how you end up with 22 kitties!!!)You found a wonderful vet with a huge heart - and that is exactly what you need. Besides, with your being so friendly and pleasant to deal with - she feels comfortable with you too. Just like with people docs - you treat them good and that is what you get back in return!!!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 AM

6,494 posts, read 11,259,685 times
Pik, what a wonderful story of the little orange kitty ... I love your vet too.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:26 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,700,031 times
Too bad the clinic couldn't have called around to all the shelters and pet shops and put those kitten-owned people on a Do Not Sell To list. At least they went to the "trouble" of taking it to a vet instead of dumping it somewhere, I suppose. And I'm glad they surrendered it rather than pay for the treatment and take their "possession" back home to hopefully (and unrealistically) never again get sick or hurt. Yeesh!

My vet's practice has partnered with Alley Cat Allies and the shelters + rescue organizations in the area. They print out and post lost-pet bulletins when the animal at large is from the surrounding community. Sometimes a "hard to place" cat - naturally never a kitten - is given a name, boarded for free, and is deemed the business' mascot in hopes of her/his winding up being adopted.

They were outstanding with Weasie "in sickness and in health." What stands out most in my memory was the day when she was finally X-rayed to rule out thyroid/metabolism issues after some two months of medication adjustments weren't arresting her ongoing weight loss. The vet delivered the bad news by way of a live conversation - played phone tag rather than just say "she has metastatic liver cancer, get here when you can" on a voice mail. During the recorded message as well as our conversation, familiar non-stop meowing was clearly audible in the background. When I reached the clinic, Weasie - caged in preparation for the trip home - was still delivering a noisy monologue. It didn't let up while I looked at the X-rays and chatted further with the doctor. One of Weeze's "pet names" was Chessie Chatterbox, and she sure was re-earning it that afternoon. The techs on hand went on with their duties the whole time, seemingly unfazed though probably clenching their teeth and thinking "Shut up already!"

Four months "and change" after the Weasie Dynasty had concluded, the Blaliko Dynasty (with Seteria as the princess and heiress-apparent) began. When I was checking Blaliko out at the front desk after her first appointment, the office manager - aware that Blaliko's daughter had also adopted me - slipped a small fish-shaped cloth toy into the carrier. A year later, Blaliko still largely shuns it, though like all adult cats she "has her moments" when she thinks no one notices. Seteria continues to enjoy it, though, and had herself a brief session with it yesterday morning. It's "those little things" that spell the difference between an adequate veterinary practice and an excellent one.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:03 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,293,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Too bad the clinic couldn't have called around to all the shelters and pet shops and put those kitten-owned people on a Do Not Sell To list. At least they went to the "trouble" of taking it to a vet instead of dumping it somewhere, I suppose. And I'm glad they surrendered it rather than pay for the treatment and take their "possession" back home to hopefully (and unrealistically) never again get sick or hurt. Yeesh!

My vet's practice has partnered with Alley Cat Allies and the shelters + rescue organizations in the area. They print out and post lost-pet bulletins when the animal at large is from the surrounding community. Sometimes a "hard to place" cat - naturally never a kitten - is given a name, boarded for free, and is deemed the business' mascot in hopes of her/his winding up being adopted.

They were outstanding with Weasie "in sickness and in health." What stands out most in my memory was the day when she was finally X-rayed to rule out thyroid/metabolism issues after some two months of medication adjustments weren't arresting her ongoing weight loss. The vet delivered the bad news by way of a live conversation - played phone tag rather than just say "she has metastatic liver cancer, get here when you can" on a voice mail. During the recorded message as well as our conversation, familiar non-stop meowing was clearly audible in the background. When I reached the clinic, Weasie - caged in preparation for the trip home - was still delivering a noisy monologue. It didn't let up while I looked at the X-rays and chatted further with the doctor. One of Weeze's "pet names" was Chessie Chatterbox, and she sure was re-earning it that afternoon. The techs on hand went on with their duties the whole time, seemingly unfazed though probably clenching their teeth and thinking "Shut up already!"

Four months "and change" after the Weasie Dynasty had concluded, the Blaliko Dynasty (with Seteria as the princess and heiress-apparent) began. When I was checking Blaliko out at the front desk after her first appointment, the office manager - aware that Blaliko's daughter had also adopted me - slipped a small fish-shaped cloth toy into the carrier. A year later, Blaliko still largely shuns it, though like all adult cats she "has her moments" when she thinks no one notices. Seteria continues to enjoy it, though, and had herself a brief session with it yesterday morning. It's "those little things" that spell the difference between an adequate veterinary practice and an excellent one.

Awww....Goyguy, I love hearing you reminisce about Weasie and talking about your girlzz that have you in their paws now!!! You are absolutely right - it is the little things that our vets do for us that makes them so special to us - them slipping a toy into the carrier is such a sweet thing!! If our vets did that for us, I'd have to take an extra carrier with me to bring home 22 toys though (like I need more cat toys in my life!!) Our old vets back in Ohio were absolutely tops in my opinion - I could run into any one of the vets or techs while I was out in the community doing errand stuff - and they knew me by name and would stop and chat about "the kids" or check on how a particular recent patient was doing. There were times when I was in that office at least 2-3 times a week. The day after we got here to Illinois I went to the grocery to get some Coke and tea and my cell rang. It was our vet in Ohio - wanting to see if we made the journey OK and make sure all the kitties we doing well. It actually made me cry - not only that she cared that much and called, but I was just so homesick at that time that I wanted to crawl through the telephone wires and go straight back to Ohio. Got over it...and found a new vet....but the ones that "got away" you never forget. BTW - Alley Cat Allies is an excellent organization and they do wonderful things for cats - feral and otherwise. We have supported them for many years.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 AM

18,435 posts, read 27,943,356 times
I would have never met this vet if she hadn't popped in one day when we had office kitty at the vet. She overheard one of the other vets discussing her pain with us and popped in and talked to us about what she uses for one of her cats pain, and went and got some of it and put it on Buddies ear.

She sent us home with a small bit of it (of her own) and got some ordered from their specialty pharmacy for us to come and pick up a few days later.

Unless absolutely necessary, we have not seen another vet there since. There are 3 others. She seems much warmer and caring a person than the rest, and I think she def likes cats more than the rest. I have been feeling that 1 more cat wouldn't bee too much, but I am going to be starting school again and possibly having surgery, so right now, it just may be.....

I hope she finds the right home for that little girl, and I don't think she will ask just anyone.....I think she knows exactly who to ask/not ask..... =)

Old 07-21-2013, 08:43 AM

18,856 posts, read 29,712,919 times
I am very impressed with the veterinarian I go to as well. And even more so with the staff. The technicians really love animals, and one cuddled right up to Jasper. She is interesting, lots of tattoos, piercings, but obviously very professional and skilled in dealing with animals.

Kudos to vet technicians!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 AM

1,109 posts, read 1,546,383 times
How wonderful to read about such caring people. I posted on the dog board about a psychiatrist and two staff I work with who have done something similar. One of our patients has a dog and as usual arrangements were made with the Humane Society. For whatever reason the dog can't be fostered for the length of the patient's hospitalization which may be extended. When the psychiatrist, a dog owner who once brought her ailing dog to the hospital so it didn't have to be alone, heard she said she'd take it home with her until the patient was discharged. The staff, also animal lovers, said they'd take turns so the doc wouldn't have to bear the entire burden Now the dog, and the patient are safe and doing well. I'm convinced that it's part of good patient care to care for the pet or the owner regardless of who the 'identified' patient happens to be =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats