Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 04:03 PM

353 posts, read 580,643 times

Advertisements

Today I had a little dilemma. I am very sensitive to cat’s hair and I have discovered that giving a cat a lion cut actually reduces the irritant for me. Would you guys try to groom your cat yourself and take your pet to the groomer? I shopped around today and decided it I am better off buying a nice set of pet clippers and watch some video instructions. What would be your take on that? Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 05:56 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Groomer. Drop kitty off, pick kitty up from that, 'terrible place', your cat will tell you all about the, 'torture'.
Enjoy being able to breathe, console kitty, and make next appointment for, 3 months.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:05 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
We are in the middle of the other route to deal with hair/dander issues. Desensitization through allergy shots. Both of us show improvement. No more Benadryl after a snuggle with one of the furries.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:46 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
I would be more inclined to learn to do it myself. I think that it would be less traumatic than visits outside the Home - I do not know of any adult cats that like to go to the vet, etc. because after the ride in the car and then to be in a place that smells of dogs, cats and antiseptic, the poor darlings are in stress overload.

I would begin the process even more gradually if your kitty is a cat rather than a kitten. Make sure that after each little session, treats are rewarded with lots of scratching and 'kitty talk'.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:32 PM

I have decided that i will take a cat to the groomer a few times first; just to see what they are using, the techniques and equipment etc. get all the supplies and maybe give it a shot myself.

My Maine coon is very tolerant kitty and loves to be brushed. He complains a little when I bathe him and he comes over and cozy up with me to get dry afterwards... So I know he is not mad.

I think it is pretty awesome idea to shave a cat to avoid the particle irritation. Me living in FL and cat always looking for a cold tile to lay on, he generally loves my recent clumsy "hair cut" I gave him with my man's clippers it is not very pretty, but the cat is cool with it

Old 08-03-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
We are in the middle of the other route to deal with hair/dander issues. Desensitization through allergy shots. Both of us show improvement. No more Benadryl after a snuggle with one of the furries.
Oh you gotta take shots.... You are allergic to cat's saliva. Even hairless cats can cause allergies if that is the case. So sorry.
In my case it is just the hair. I am puffing up due to dust and any particles that could be on the air ( pollen, feathers, dust, animal hair, wool etc) . Less particles in the air the better. Since I love my cat and can't be without his kissable nose, I can still keep him, it is just the hair that must go.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 PM

65 posts, read 77,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_fox13 View Post
Today I had a little dilemma. I am very sensitive to cat’s hair and I have discovered that giving a cat a lion cut actually reduces the irritant for me. Would you guys try to groom your cat yourself and take your pet to the groomer? I shopped around today and decided it I am better off buying a nice set of pet clippers and watch some video instructions. What would be your take on that? Any other suggestions?
Before I became a pro at insulin injections, I used to shave my diabetic cat so I could see that I was aiming for the right spot. It was easy (no instructions necessary), the cat loved it, I got the cheapest shaver I could find, it eventually went caput, but it worked pretty long (years).

Old 08-04-2013, 01:05 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Ha. One time my ex turned on his electric razor, Mickey bolted out of the bathroom so fast he hit the wall, at a dead run. Smacked his head, he was dazed for a few seconds, then, found the door, Bolt!

That cat had a second sense about his appointment for the groomers, either that, or he listened and understood more than I gave him credit for. He would mysteriously dissappear the morning of his appointment.. Only to show up again after 5 pm.

It was the only way I could keep him. He had a thick undercoat, and a light fluffy outercoat.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:41 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ha. One time my ex turned on his electric razor, Mickey bolted out of the bathroom so fast he hit the wall, at a dead run. Smacked his head, he was dazed for a few seconds, then, found the door, Bolt!

That cat had a second sense about his appointment for the groomers, either that, or he listened and understood more than I gave him credit for. He would mysteriously dissappear the morning of his appointment.. Only to show up again after 5 pm.

It was the only way I could keep him. He had a thick undercoat, and a light fluffy outercoat.
They can be very intuitive and makes you wonder if they understand English. I have had mine bolt on a couple of occasions when they knew somehow that they were taking a trip.

Great description and thanks for the laugh!

Old 08-04-2013, 01:46 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_fox13 View Post
If you have an allergy to cats, the last thing you want to do is clip the fur on one. The fine bits of fur the clippers toss out will find their way into your eyes and nose.... take your kitty to the groomer. Drop kitty off and pick kitty up and leave the fur with all it's allergens behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats