U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 12:40 PM

6,097 posts, read 9,016,816 times

Advertisements

So, I posted previously that Callie's blood test shows pancreatitis. Had her on the vets prescript diet for a month and then repeated the test. Absolutely no change. Now the vet says this won't kill her, she isn't vomiting, has no diarrhea, and seems content except when I leave and she can't see me. Then she meows like crazy.

I have been told to feed her a bland diet. Vet says there is prescrip. diet but I would prefer not to do that again. What will a cat eat that is people food and bland? cottage cheese? yogurt? chicken? I will cook for her if it will help but don't know what to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:49 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,839,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

I have been told to feed her a bland diet. Vet says there is prescrip. diet but I would prefer not to do that again. What will a cat eat that is people food and bland? cottage cheese? yogurt? chicken? I will cook for her if it will help but don't know what to buy.
They told you to feed her a bland diet of "people food?" It's hard to balance a diet for cats but there are forums online covering cat nutrition. Also see Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

What can be more bland than canned cat food? None have spices or seasoning added that I have seen. Avoid all those that mention any kind of vegetables, fruit or grains. I feed my cats Little Friskies (about .50 a can) in assorted flavors and they get about 10 to 15% of their food raw. Avoid all kibble.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:29 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,044,110 times
Have you tried chicken or turkey baby food (in the tiny jars)? Of course, this is not a balanced diet for cats.

I would try grain free canned with as few ingredients as possible. What about feeding the chicken Evo, which is grain free and 95% meat.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:30 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,044,110 times
Also, despite the fact that you say she's not vomiting, are you giving sub-Q fluids? This is an important part of recovery. Our Tucker had pancreatitis and it wasn't until I was regularly giving sub-qs and pain medication that he turned the corner.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:39 AM

9,918 posts, read 20,467,657 times
I don't have any direct experience with pancreatitis, but I ran across it in all my reading about kidney disease, as it is often an additional problem in cats with CKD and had wondered at times if Amber might be suffering from it. We never really got that far in digging for other things because a complication from her heart problem took her after just a few months.

Some general reading that may be of use:

Inflammation of the Pancreas in Cats | petMD

Pancreatitis in Cats | Cat Hospital of Chicago

And this one about food specifically:

Feeding Cats with Pancreatitis | petMD

Now keep in mind I'm no vet and have no vet background at any level. I have a little tiny bit of background in caring for a sick cat and reading up online about symptoms and conditions, that's it. But it seems like this could be a sort of up and down issue over the long term. Fluid therapy is one of the common things mentioned, as just noted by Rene, and this is something you can learn to do at home if it turns out Callie needs this on an ongoing basis. (I never thought I could do it, but it turned out to be easy. It won't be as easy with every cat, but there's a very good chance you can do it.)

Food it seems like it's going to be an issue of making sure she is continuing to eat. This can be maddening if she starts refusing most foods, but it doesn't sound like that is what is happening now. The one piece above about feeding says easy to digest, novel protein and/or hypoallergenic canned food is what she tries, but if the cat won't eat those then as always the cat should eat whatever she will actually eat! That is ultimately more important.

I think it's great that you're willing to cook/prep food for her but in my mind that would be perhaps too much to do with everything going on. I'm not thinking so much in terms of change for the cat but in terms of what else YOU might be doing to care for her. It takes a lot of work to make a homemade diet have all the right things a cat needs, and it might be one thing too many. And I'd be surprised if it were truly necessary to do this.

As one who has fed baby food to a cat, I would not try this route unless she won't eat any cat food. Baby food for me was most helpful after Amber was on a third day of having eating basically nothing. At the time it finally enticed her to eat again and she took down half a jar in one sitting, eating off a spoon I was holding. Man that was a big relief at the time. But when you feed this for longer than a couple days you have to start worrying about taurine and other deficiencies so really this is among some of the last resort items that you go to if you can't coax her into eating a food that has the nutrients she needs as a cat.

I mean, in general, at the moment, it sounds like you guys are doing okay. No vomiting or similar, and she is eating something on her own, that's good. The idea of bland diet doesn't particularly resonate, not sure what that would be. "Novel protein" I guess would be mainly other than chicken, which is the most common. You want to stay away from fish as well. You can find a lot of proteins really; I found a pork food recently at Petsmart, and duck, rabbit, venison, lamb, all of these can be found to varying degrees. I don't really know what would be considered easily digestible. I suppose that would be the ground up loaf types rather than chunks, but there could be other factors. Ideally you don't want it to have corn, soy or other grain/veg as significant ingredients; this is where we tend to question the idea of the veterinary diets because most of them do contain such items in significant quantities. I'm not too sure what else to suggest in terms of makeup of the food. The info says that lower fat is not necessarily shown to be helpful in cats even though this is what they do for dogs, so it's not clear to me that it's even worth looking for lower fat content. Low phosphorous, useful in slowing the progression of kidney disease, seems like it's always a good idea. There's a huge chart at catinfo.org that gives the protein/fat/carb percentage plus phosphorous for many, many cans; this is a link directly to the pdf: http://catinfo.org./docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

I'm not sure even in all those words that I've given much new info, but maybe you'll find some useful tidbit. Hang in there.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:42 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,661,273 times
Miss Daisy lived with a dx of pancreatitis for 7-1/2 years before her heart gave out.

She ate whatever canned food I put on her plate. Back then (90's to 2000) vets prescribed "Pancrezyme" which was dried pig pancreas. I'd sprinkle it on her food about 15 minutes before I fed her.

No more vomiting or loose bowels.... so I suppose it worked.

I always fed her in small meals......3x a day.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:11 PM

183 posts, read 445,207 times
cat has pancreatitis and the vet said "just watch him"
is there any natural things to be done - I am reading that digestive enzymes help
he's eating and drinking but vomits occassionally - has been more lethargic lately

Old 09-04-2015, 05:12 AM

4,209 posts, read 12,516,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbeebe View Post
cat has pancreatitis and the vet said "just watch him"
is there any natural things to be done - I am reading that digestive enzymes help
he's eating and drinking but vomits occassionally - has been more lethargic lately
"Just watch him" isn't advice I'd take. There are things you can do to help, and these things are related to diet. They may or may not help, but at least they are proactive.

You want to feed your cat foods that are easily digestible -- low-fat canned food without glutens and grains. I have no experience with raw diets, so I don't know their benefits to easing pancreatitis. Initially you can try baby food just to get some calories into your cat. Gerber does make meat-only baby food (you want to avoid the ones with any grains or vegetables).

And feed many small meals throughout the day rather than a usual one or two big meals. Doing this puts less stress on the digestive system (which includes the pancreas).

It's crucial to get food and water into the cat. Even if you have to flavor the food in some way with a tiny bit of cat's milk, clam or tuna juice, meat drippings, it's better to feed a small bit of the 'wrong' food in order to get the 'right' food into him.

Sometimes cats have to be coerced into eating and drinking. I'm currently dealing with a different medical issue, but it requires forced feeding. Fortunately Pharaoh doesn't mind a syringe. Throughout the day I fill it with water (3ml at a time) or liquefied canned food made into a "smoothie" consistency by running it through a blender (also 3ml at a time). On his own he'll only nibble a few bites of food, so by syringing I know that he's getting something. This is essential to assure that all parts of his digestive system (most specifically his kidneys and liver, and of course his pancreas) will continue to work properly.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 15,048 times
PJ's Mommy
I am presently caring for my 14 year old cat, PJ, who was diagnosed with pancreatitis 3 days ago. He had been "spitting up" a lot for about a week and stopped eating willingly. My vet did blood work which came back very good for all his other organs but confirmed the pancreatitis. He has me giving him Reglan 2x daily, 20-30 minutes before main meals, 2.25 mg Pepcid 2x daily and Amoxicilin 2x daily. He also has me feeding a bland diet of turkey, chicken or chicken with rice baby food and/or boiled shredded chicken. It has only been 3 days and he still fights me about eating but I am optimistic. Will try some of the bland diet ideas posted here.

Last edited by PJsMommy; 11-16-2015 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: mistakes

Old 11-17-2015, 06:50 PM

9,038 posts, read 14,282,265 times
You won't hear this from anyone else.....If I were you I would be feeding a fortified high calcium chicken or meat broth/stock that I made myself. I would be giving him adrenal glandulars because the adrenals support the entire endocrine gland system and the autonomic nervous system. Anyone who is sick, generally has weak adrenals.

Then I would find a WHOLE HERB (not herbal isolate) formula for the pancreas or supplement with a drop or two of dandelion extract with food -- or juice dandelions in your yard -- if you can't find an herbalist or Naturopath to help. Then I'd add 1/4 teaspoon to his food. Taste it first, if it is too bitter add some Stevia which is great for diabetics with weak pancreas. I would also be giving Slippery Elm which soothes and heals the entire digestive tract.

When he feel ready for food (and I would not push food on him),
for the diet, I would try to move towards a high quality Bones And Raw Food (BARF) diet. For the bland diet I would simmer a small amount of organic hamburger meat in water. To that I would add cooked millet in a 3 to one proportion of meat to grain and I would pour the broth from the water the hamburger was cooked in over everything to make it a mush. I'd serve just a tablespoon or two and work up to 1/4 cup. Then later you can work towards cooking the meat less and less until it is raw and adding in some cooked vegetables in place of the grain. You can add a 1/16 teaspoon of kelp powder for iodine.

Last but not least I would work on weaning any cat under my care off the drugs as they only mask the symptom and do not address the problem. This can help in temporary situations but the goal should be to address the root cause of the problem and help the body fix itself. This is what diet and Nature's herbs have always done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats