Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,309 times

Advertisements

This is my first time having a kitty and I understand the conventional litter box is what cats have always used for the bathroom, but I am pregnant and am not allowed to be near the litter box/ change it etc. Is there any alternative to using a traditional litter box for my cat? Do cats use pee pads?

Thx!
Nicole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
In the dogs forum, you asked about training your dog to a litter box. I've never had a cat that used a pee pad, and doubt it they will.

Who told you that you're not allowed to be near the litter box or change it? Just wear some rubber gloves, and wash your hands thoroughly each time you clean it out. I'm sure that other pregnant women clean litter boxes.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 PM

258 posts, read 421,892 times
The problem with cleaning the cat litter box while pregnant has nothing to do with the litter box itself. The problem is an organism that is in some cats feces. Any method of cleaning feces will present the same problem. The best suggestion is, as moved suggested, wearing gloves and I would add a dust mask as well. Your other option is to invest in a self cleaning litter box, though you may still want to take precautions when emptying it.

~Katy

Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Do you live alone? If not, can't you just have the other person handle the litter duties? If you are alone, I think gloves and a dust mask (also washing hands afterwards) would keep you safe. Ask your doctor, though!

There is such a thing as toilet training a cat, but I imagine it's not easy... and it still wouldn't keep you from being exposed to the feces, since it requires gradually switching from litter to potty. There are a variety of these training products on the market, if you're curious: Amazon.com: cat toilet trainer

Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
The problem with cleaning the cat litter box while pregnant has nothing to do with the litter box itself. The problem is an organism that is in some cats feces. Any method of cleaning feces will present the same problem.
Yep, it's called toxoplasmosis: CDC - Toxoplasmosis

One of my friends is HIV+, and always has to be careful (avoid the pan/tracks) while at my place... which didn't even occur to me, until I asked if he wanted to adopt a foster kitten I had. He said "wish I could, but the bacteria in cat feces could KILL me."

Old 08-08-2013, 03:50 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl2013 View Post
This is my first time having a kitty and I understand the conventional litter box is what cats have always used for the bathroom, but I am pregnant and am not allowed to be near the litter box/ change it etc. Is there any alternative to using a traditional litter box for my cat? Do cats use pee pads?

Thx!
Nicole
Not allowed near a litterbox? When I was pregnant by Dr told me it was OK to scoop the litterpan but to wash my hands and forearms thoroughly afterward with an antibacterial type soap.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
I don't think cats would use pee pads, especially if they had already been using a litter box previously. I agree with the post above, wear long gloves, dispose of the waste properly, and wash thoroughly afterward.

You have more of a risk of getting toxoplasmosis from raw meat than cat feces: Pregnancy and Toxoplasmosis : The Humane Society of the United States

Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,622 times
I'm not pregnant but I use the same hygiene protocol when cleaning cat litter as I do cleaning human waste at work - gloves and thorough hand washing after removing the gloves. I use dial soap and warm water remembering to rub vigorously for either the time it takes to repeat the alphabet or sing happy birthday. Friction more than soap works. I just don't want any fecal matter clinging to my hands, there are other things in it that I'd rather not have on my hands which often have minor cuts.

Hand washing with or without gloves is a great way to prevent colds and flu as well it's a great habit for everyone to adopt.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:10 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I don't think cats would use pee pads, especially if they had already been using a litter box previously. I agree with the post above, wear long gloves, dispose of the waste properly, and wash thoroughly afterward.

You have more of a risk of getting toxoplasmosis from raw meat than cat feces: Pregnancy and Toxoplasmosis : The Humane Society of the United States

yes cats will use pee pads I have had elderly cats use them

Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I scooped litter when I was pregnant. As long as you are careful and take precautions you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats