U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:31 PM

3,445 posts, read 5,066,527 times

Advertisements

I have two cats, my girlfriend one. One of mine was a stray I found at my girlfriends and took to my house, the other is one I took when a friend of mine deceased.

My girlfriend will be in the hospital for at least another week. Two days ago, I brought my g/f's cat to stay with me. Put her in a separate room with food, water and a liter box. Put a baby gate up and figured she would stay there. I should have put another one on top of that because she leaped over it and is now out with the other two cats. My first cat is a bit of a bully and still bullies my inherited one. No real fighting but she will charge her.

My g/f's cat is normally timid. She found a hidey hole under the end table and has stayed there. I put some food and water near her. I cant grab her because, with her fear, I think she will lash out.

So, great knowledable cat people, what should I do. My cats, for the most part, are ignorning her but the bully did charge her last night. Leave my g/f's cat alone to sort it out or try to capture her and secure her in the other room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 06:55 PM

Never mind.

When I finished this post she walked into the spare room herself and two baby gates are up. She will be fine now.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:23 PM

258 posts, read 348,337 times
glad that it resolved itself! Cats are clever, I hope 2 baby gates wil keep her in.

~Katy

Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,804,165 times
I was gonna say you should dress her up in a pretty dress and bonnet, call her Kitty Katty and hope the other cats act like Charlie.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:04 AM

Great idea. Im going to get her a prison stripe uniform. Then take pictures of her and post them all over.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:15 AM

4,750 posts, read 11,374,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Never mind.

When I finished this post she walked into the spare room herself and two baby gates are up. She will be fine now.
They "just know" - wait till you take the time to write about your dilemma and then resolve it themselves. LOL

Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 AM

18,433 posts, read 29,507,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I was gonna say you should dress her up in a pretty dress and bonnet, call her Kitty Katty and hope the other cats act like Charlie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Great idea. Im going to get her a prison stripe uniform. Then take pictures of her and post them all over.
Now that is funny.

OP, when I brought Charlie to the house, I put him in the guest bedroom like you did, but in the beginning I kept the door closed. This way, the cats can smell each other but not quite see one another and not feel as threatened.

I fed them on either side of the door so that they would associate the smell of the other cat with a good thing....food and eating.

I started out feeding them several feet from the door and got closer and closer. You can tell if they feel threatened, they will hiss and growl.

I would not put it past any of the cats to be able to get over 2 baby gates. Charlie was not able to jump but he was able to climb the gate once I put it up.

We did that so that they could take the next step to seeing the other cat while eating but still having a barrier.

They did very well and in a much shorter time period than we expected.

I hope your gf has a speedy recovery.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:08 AM

Actually my first cat and her cat have met several times already. I have brought my cat to her house on occasion. They know each other...at least the scent.

I partially closed the door to hopefully stop her from leaping onto the gates.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:18 AM

9,918 posts, read 20,564,624 times
I suppose a young cat might get over 2 baby gates. It's pretty unlikely though. It would have to be a young small cat predisposed to serious climbing I think, and may depend upon the design of the gates. The biggest problem is you have to take the upper one down each time you want to go in.

I had a swing-open gate that we got when another cat joined us. Amber could get over it turns out, so what I eventually got instead of a second gate was a couple of spring tension curtain rods. These positioned carefully above the baby gate prevented her from getting over, making it just high enough.

BTW, yes, if the door can close I would do that at first anyway. Baby gate is typically something you progress to after having the door closed for a few days or more. Although I see now you say they have met before which maybe helps a little but still I don't think it would be wrong to keep the door shut if necessary.

Good luck and hope everything is okay with your girlfriend.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 PM

and she escaped again. I had a feeling she might be able to go over the two gates. She is more a ground cat but can move when she wants. She simply opened the door and swam out of Alcatraz.

She is on her own now. Heard some hisses before but she doesnt seem as frightened. They will have to sort it out themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats