Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 06:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 06:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
No, but my cat drinks from both the water dish next to his bowl and from the toilet.
Have you heard of THIS? Water in a plastic tub like from margarine, is invisible to cats. They don't see the water well and have poor depth perception. They can smell the water but not see where the surface is. That's why they'll often bat the container around so the water sloshes around in it. My vet told me to put the water in a glass bowl, not plastic. It worked.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,486 times
Nope, never heard that one, but then I never heard that the water in the TOILET BOWL might not be contaminated and thusly and therefore a preferred drink by cat connoisseurs everywhere!!! I need to get out more, apparently!!!

Old 08-14-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Nope, never heard that one, but then I never heard that the water in the TOILET BOWL might not be contaminated and thusly and therefore a preferred drink by cat connoisseurs everywhere!!! I need to get out more, apparently!!!
Yeah, that's why I can't use that blue stuff that keeps the bowl clean. He's always drinking from the toilet.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 PM

258 posts, read 421,599 times
haha yes that's funny I actually brought this up in another thread earlier today I actually just read it for the first time today, we've added an extra water bowl far from our cats food already.

~Katy

Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yeah, that's why I can't use that blue stuff that keeps the bowl clean. He's always drinking from the toilet.
Not trying to be a wise guy or anything, but why not put the lid down on the toilet? That's been practiced religiously in my house for 20 years, specifically to keep the cats (& dogs) out of it. Just curious.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,416,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
No, but my cat drinks from both the water dish next to his bowl and from the toilet.
Have you heard of THIS? Water in a plastic tub like from margarine, is invisible to cats. They don't see the water well and have poor depth perception. They can smell the water but not see where the surface is. That's why they'll often bat the container around so the water sloshes around in it. My vet told me to put the water in a glass bowl, not plastic. It worked.
Thank you for answering a question I've been wondering about for 9 years! Although I use a stainless bowl, this must be why my oldest cat always makes pawing motions at it and jostles it before she drinks. I always thought she was trying to move it, and wondered why she was always perfectly happy with where her food dish was, but never happy with the location of her water dish. Now I understand. I use a plastic Drinkwell fountain as well, and I've never noticed any of them messing with it. Just my youngest playing with the water when he was a kitten.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:46 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,990,710 times
I have heard of that and from our POV it's true because both of our cats refuse to drink water from a bowl. They prefer moving fresh water, such as the dripping kitchen faucet.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Thank you for answering a question I've been wondering about for 9 years! Although I use a stainless bowl, this must be why my oldest cat always makes pawing motions at it and jostles it before she drinks. I always thought she was trying to move it, and wondered why she was always perfectly happy with where her food dish was, but never happy with the location of her water dish. Now I understand. I use a plastic Drinkwell fountain as well, and I've never noticed any of them messing with it. Just my youngest playing with the water when he was a kitten.
Well, there ya go! Glad to have obliged.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Not trying to be a wise guy or anything, but why not put the lid down on the toilet? That's been practiced religiously in my house for 20 years, specifically to keep the cats (& dogs) out of it. Just curious.
Meh. It's not going to kill him. Cats often don't drink enough anyway, and if he likes to drink the colder water from the toilet, let him.
Drinking from the toilet hasn't hurt any pet as far as I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats