Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:56 AM

641 posts, read 1,015,604 times

Advertisements

I have a cat that is 16 and due for a checkup within the next month or so. She appears healthy and eats good and is not overweight but the vet says I should do "tests" and they have a senior package for a cat her age to see if anything is wrong with her. Is this worth buying its like $150. I ask this question because say she sas cancer or something, I would not want to spend thousands of dollars just so she could live an extra couple of years anyway. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 12:31 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,936,423 times
Once my kitties reach 8 years old, they have the senior blood panel done every year.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:14 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,547,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
I have a cat that is 16 and due for a checkup within the next month or so. She appears healthy and eats good and is not overweight but the vet says I should do "tests" and they have a senior package for a cat her age to see if anything is wrong with her. Is this worth buying its like $150. I ask this question because say she sas cancer or something, I would not want to spend thousands of dollars just so she could live an extra couple of years anyway. Thanks

I hope you're kidding!! Your cat has been your buddy for 16 years and you can even question if he/she is worth spending $150 on? Would you hesitate spending $150 on something material to make you happy? Suppose she does have cancer - wouldn't you rather know upfront rather than be in the dark and have her potentially in pain or sick? When/if you get a bad diagnosis, THEN is when you start deciding what to pursue in terms of treatment - and at our household that is based on what is best for the kitty not what is best for our pockets. Everything ages and matures - even you. Do you see the doctor on a regular basis? Is your health and well-being worth it? How valuable are a "extra couple of years" to you?? Having a pet of ANY kind is a commitment. You take the good and the bad in stride - and you provide for your best buddy no matter what.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM

2,974 posts, read 3,874,285 times
Yes, yes, yes, it is worth it! Our oldest (who is 15) gets bloodwork every 6 months. Think of how quickly animals age compare to humans--a lot can happen in that time. Bloodwork can show kidney and thyroid function, diabetes, and many other conditions that may not have visible symptoms.

I pay about $125 for a similar panel, so $150 isn't out of line.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:00 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,157,559 times
It may be that you find out something that you are catching early stage and a fairly inexpensive drug will will buy quality of life for some time.

I think you should ask your vet exactly what the tests are and what for. Then do some thinking and discuss more with vet about what you would do if certain results come back.
You have to decide what you are willing to pay and be willing to do for a few more years. But usually its not 150.00 for the test, "oh your cat is terminal unless you spend 1000.00 a month for years". It tends to be more helpful than that but some internet research and a frank discussion with your vet is best.

If you aren't willing to do anything to prolong life then you should talk to your vet about signs of pain. Cats can hide pain really well and by the time you can see it - they can be suffering.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,893,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
Yes it is - if you value her life at all. The vet will catch whatever may be developing or something that's painful but not obvious to you. Make sure he or she checks your cat's teeth thoroughly. I've noticed this is something not all vets do because most cats will struggle.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,703,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I hope you're kidding!! Your cat has been your buddy for 16 years and you can even question if he/she is worth spending $150 on? Would you hesitate spending $150 on something material to make you happy? Suppose she does have cancer - wouldn't you rather know upfront rather than be in the dark and have her potentially in pain or sick? When/if you get a bad diagnosis, THEN is when you start deciding what to pursue in terms of treatment - and at our household that is based on what is best for the kitty not what is best for our pockets. Everything ages and matures - even you. Do you see the doctor on a regular basis? Is your health and well-being worth it? How valuable are a "extra couple of years" to you?? Having a pet of ANY kind is a commitment. You take the good and the bad in stride - and you provide for your best buddy no matter what.

Don't get all uppity here ! The OP probably loves and takes care of that cat as well as you do, all they are doing is asking a legitimate question about the worth of a particular test. We all know some vets love to push every test and procedure on our pets as they can, but you have to be reasonable about it. Maybe the OP doesn't have the same income you do and is living on a tight budget, this $ 150 could mean the difference between eating and not eating. The very fact they have had this cat for 16 years should tell you something about how they love it.

Don't be so quick to condemn someone until you walk in their shoes. It is SO easy to sit here and push keys on our keyboard and tell other people how they should live, but unless you are willing to kick in some money to help out you have no right to be so judgmental.

I had to make a decision when Scooter got sick, she was 17 and the vet said the tests they needed to run would be $ 3000 for one night's worth. As much as I hated to do it, I didn't have the money, hadn't been to a Doctor for myself for years, so I had to pass on the tests. I regret it, but sometimes you have to do what you can.

Don

Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,244,218 times
I understand the concern of the OP, but $150 is quite a bit less than what I have paid for the senior wellness tests. If you have the money, I would definitely have the tests done. Our Lucy lived until she was 25 so your cat may have many good years ahead. I would be more concerned about thyroid than cancer and we have had cats that have had both. I would ask the vet for the most affordable way to go as not everyone has the money and veterinary care is quite expensive, especially here in Delaware.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:52 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,622,538 times
Honestly if the OP feels the pet has already enjoyed a full life (and 16 is a reasonable lifespan) and would choose not to treat the cat for anything that may be developing or uncovered then objectively the blood test would be a waste of his money and a medical procedure (the blood draw) that this elderly cat would needlessly endure.
Not saying right or wrong...simply being objective and realistic here.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,547,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Don't get all uppity here ! The OP probably loves and takes care of that cat as well as you do, all they are doing is asking a legitimate question about the worth of a particular test. We all know some vets love to push every test and procedure on our pets as they can, but you have to be reasonable about it. Maybe the OP doesn't have the same income you do and is living on a tight budget, this $ 150 could mean the difference between eating and not eating. The very fact they have had this cat for 16 years should tell you something about how they love it.

Don't be so quick to condemn someone until you walk in their shoes. It is SO easy to sit here and push keys on our keyboard and tell other people how they should live, but unless you are willing to kick in some money to help out you have no right to be so judgmental.

I had to make a decision when Scooter got sick, she was 17 and the vet said the tests they needed to run would be $ 3000 for one night's worth. As much as I hated to do it, I didn't have the money, hadn't been to a Doctor for myself for years, so I had to pass on the tests. I regret it, but sometimes you have to do what you can.

Don

That wasn't me being uppity - trust me!!! The OP asked, and that was my thought. Maybe it was the way it was worded that made me respond as I did. I respect that after 16 years the OP obviously cares for their cat - but you just don't shut the door on them because they're getting old. If I suspected that my vet was just being greedy for money I would be looking for a new vet immediately. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with an older cat - and you know that as well as any of us do. Testing can be valuable to tell you something is wrong before you even realize it - it is proactive instead of reactive. I do understand that things are expensive and sometimes we must make choices that are hard to live with. If I offended anyone - I truly do apologize - but when I read the thread title - it sounded like just because the cat was older - it wasn't "worth" spending the extra money to make sure it is in good health. If you think that's judgmental - so be it. I stand by my response regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats