U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 11:17 AM

399 posts, read 575,790 times

Advertisements

I've also been giving mine Temptations. No more! We'll stick with Lean Treats available at the vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 02:40 PM

7,591 posts, read 5,105,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
From what I'm seeing online almost all these treats have ingredients from China, especially the meat. China has almost no quality control and there is no accountability. AVOID all cat treats from the pet stores. It's safer to make your own. Anything edible from China should be avoided.
I don't like buying or using anything from China, and don't if I can possibly avoid it. There are literally dozens of brands of cat treats out there, and short of researching each and every one, how is one supposed to know which contain questionable ingredients from China and which don't. The manufacturers certainly aren't going to advertise their sources. Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge (or culinary skills) to make my own cat treats, so I have to rely on what I can buy off the shelf. I want to give my furkids the best and safest products, but looking at all that are available at my local Petsmart I feel overwhelmed.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:24 PM

12,967 posts, read 24,013,555 times
Thank you for posting this. I have at least 20 bags of the treats that I'm going to throw out.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:18 PM

369 posts, read 560,567 times
Ugh, I got two free sample bags of Temptations with some cat toys I bought. Now I know why they're giving it away.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:20 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,329,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
So many recalls are because of salmonella and other bacteria that affect humans but really do not have much impact on cats (they eat out of dumpsters, remember).
Since I feed my cats between 10 to 15% raw meat I'm not too concerned about salmonella. It's other "crap" in catfood that has me concerned. To be on the safe side, I haven't bought anything edible from China since we had 3 dogs become seriously ill from those pigs ears PetsMart and other stores once sold. That was about 10 yrs ago. They vomited red froth and watery slime and had such horrenous diarrhea I thought they would die. I noticed the pigs ears vanished off the shelf shortly after that incident. The manager at that store at the time told me about other people complaining also so they decided not to carry these pig parts and cow hoofs anymore. But those same chemical and dye loaded animal parts are still being sold here in treats and who knows what? Our cats get a treat of 4, yes FOUR different "better brand" kibbles (not that any of it is good) mixed together. This way if one has something unsavory or toxic, they're not getting much of it. They only get kibble as a snack. It seemed a better choice than those small treat containers that cost 10 times as much.

Quote:
However, when you get into a chemical issue like this where some kind of additive is causing kidney issues, then we need to take it very seriously. I have thrown away the Temptations at my house and I am going to be finding another kitty treat. Jimmy isn't happy that he didn't get his treats this morning but he'll get over it.

20yrsinBranson
You can make your own treats and know they're toxin free.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I don't like buying or using anything from China, and don't if I can possibly avoid it. There are literally dozens of brands of cat treats out there, and short of researching each and every one, how is one supposed to know which contain questionable ingredients from China and which don't. The manufacturers certainly aren't going to advertise their sources. Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge (or culinary skills) to make my own cat treats, so I have to rely on what I can buy off the shelf. I want to give my furkids the best and safest products, but looking at all that are available at my local Petsmart I feel overwhelmed.
I know that overwhelming feeling. But at this point in time I think everyone should avoid anything from China if it's mentioned on the bag, and all treats. Maybe if people started calling these companies and asking them where they're getting the ingredients and additives from it would make a difference. They all want to make their products as cheap as possible and not kill all the cats and dogs who eat the stuff. But we can make our own cat and dog snacks from meat we buy at the store. It's just more time consuming....

When I bought those pig ear treats for my dogs about 10 yrs ago I had no clue they came in from China. Since then I've been very leery of anything edible from that country - and don't forget the melamine horror. They even poisoned their own infants by putting it in baby formula.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:20 AM

970 posts, read 1,744,721 times
Unfortunately almost every brand of dog and cat food gets some part of their ingredients from China. Even some of the best foods get their vitamin mixes from China. Sometimes they disguise it by saying they purchase it from Europe, but in reality it is just a middleman.

Obviously you can look for the source of the meat ingredients to minimize the risks, but short of making all of your food and treats (including buying local meat and not meat from Asian markets like a lot of people do) is about the only way to avoid Chinese made products.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:36 PM

218 posts, read 400,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
From what I'm seeing online almost all these treats have ingredients from China, especially the meat. China has almost no quality control and there is no accountability. AVOID all cat treats from the pet stores. It's safer to make your own. Anything edible from China should be avoided.
What kind of treats do you make?

All I see in the stores are Whiskas Temptations. I visited three groceries - Publix, Aldi, and Winn-Dixie and Whiskas Temptations comprised 90% of the treat section. Friskies had one row of cans but the treats were brittle and the cats really didn't seem too enthused.

I'm paranoid after reading this thread I have to admit, but now my husband has conditioned our cats to having treats occasionally and uses them for positive reinforcement. I refuse to get anything WHISKAS anymore out of fear that we might get a toxic batch.

Anyone have a brand they TRUST implicitly that is NOT made in China?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyJaneway View Post
Ugh, I got two free sample bags of Temptations with some cat toys I bought. Now I know why they're giving it away.
And you're right, they're literally giving Whiskas away. Every store had a buy one get one free sale.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:10 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,098,003 times
About a month ago I adopted a kitty that my son's coworkers found. I have a limited budget so when I bought the necessities I got a bag of dry kitten food and a jar of Pounce treats for once a day snacks. A few days later one of my coworkers gave me a couple of packets of Temptations treats. The first time I fed some to Sid he threw up a couple of hours later. I never gave him any more of those treats. Thanks for this heads up. Now I know why he barfed up those things. I took him to my local SPCA vet about a week later to get his shots, neutered, and general check up. All is well and he still enjoys his Pounce treats.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
About a month ago I adopted a kitty that my son's coworkers found. I have a limited budget so when I bought the necessities I got a bag of dry kitten food and a jar of Pounce treats for once a day snacks.
My SIL fed Pounce to her cat Grashon. Her old cat loved them. She was addicted to them. Retired now, living in Fl and doing a lot of traveling, they no longer keep pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or