U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 05:48 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times

Advertisements

I haven't bought treats for my cat in years. It's cheaper and healthier to just give her a pinch of the tuna from the can I'm opening for my own sandwich, or tell the deli guy I need enough slices of turkey for 3 subs for my husband, plus one extra slice - and use bits from that slice as daily treats for 3 days in a row. On Sundays when I make chicken salad (from leftover pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the supermarket's cafe area), my cat gets around a tablespoon of the cooked chicken. On days when I'm cooking up raw chicken, she always gets a little bit of the raw meat, a smidge of the raw fat, and I mince up some of the skin for her. Monday is meatball night - she gets a few pinches of raw ground chuck (and so do I - that's -my- treat too!).

She eats canned for meals - "people food" for treats.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 07:57 AM

218 posts, read 400,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I haven't bought treats for my cat in years. It's cheaper and healthier to just give her a pinch of the tuna from the can I'm opening for my own sandwich, or tell the deli guy I need enough slices of turkey for 3 subs for my husband, plus one extra slice - and use bits from that slice as daily treats for 3 days in a row. On Sundays when I make chicken salad (from leftover pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the supermarket's cafe area), my cat gets around a tablespoon of the cooked chicken. On days when I'm cooking up raw chicken, she always gets a little bit of the raw meat, a smidge of the raw fat, and I mince up some of the skin for her. Monday is meatball night - she gets a few pinches of raw ground chuck (and so do I - that's -my- treat too!).

She eats canned for meals - "people food" for treats.

Thanks for the ideas - cooked chicken, turkey. I'll try to make sure they're low fat and have my husband mince them into small pieces for treats.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:09 PM

218 posts, read 400,482 times
As for kitty treats I *was* able to find a few that were manufactured here in the U.S. Although that doesn't guarantee that there might not be issues (salmonella in the manufacturing plant, etc), I'm a lot more confident in these than I am in anything made in China.

Have tested them both out on the cats and even the most finicky one munched down!

Last edited by OcalaLiving; 09-25-2013 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,640,051 times
I have never given my cats treats and now I am so glad. Their treats are spoonfuls of canned tuna when I make tuna salad.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:43 AM

9,918 posts, read 19,678,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaLiving View Post
As for kitty treats I *was* able to find a few that were manufactured here in the U.S. Although that doesn't guarantee that there might not be issues (salmonella in the manufacturing plant, etc), I'm a lot more confident in these than I am in anything made in China.
There are a number of other treats made in the US. Those ones you mentioned may be more easily available than some, but I think Zuke's Natural Purrz are pretty widely available these days. It's a really nice chewy but not too soft treat. Buddy Biscuits is another one, similar consistency and pretty easy to find these days (I've bought those in Target). Wysong Dream Treats are really nice freeze-dried stuff with interesting proteins available (pheasant) but harder to find unless you mail order. And there are a number of other freeze-dried ones that I've seen in some smaller pet stores that I think are made in US.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:58 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I know that overwhelming feeling. But at this point in time I think everyone should avoid anything from China if it's mentioned on the bag, and all treats. Maybe if people started calling these companies and asking them where they're getting the ingredients and additives from it would make a difference. They all want to make their products as cheap as possible and not kill all the cats and dogs who eat the stuff. But we can make our own cat and dog snacks from meat we buy at the store. It's just more time consuming....

When I bought those pig ear treats for my dogs about 10 yrs ago I had no clue they came in from China. Since then I've been very leery of anything edible from that country - and don't forget the melamine horror. They even poisoned their own infants by putting it in baby formula.
I agree. I stopped buying Tilapia because I happened to notice the packaging one day - it is from China. I wouldn't eat it myself and I'll be damned if I gave it to my cats! The only fish that touches my lips these days are from the USA.

You've got me thinking about where my cat food products come from.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:55 AM

511 posts, read 690,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Thanks for the post!

I do not feed my 2 cats Whiskas cat food or treats.

Why hasn't this made mainstream media coverage?

The reason it wasn't on mainstream is because Whiskas was not on the recall list. We have been giving temptations treats for years(in moderation of course) with no negative reactions other than being a bit addictive.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:20 PM

8 posts, read 45,086 times
Beware of Whiskas Temptations treats for kitties! I found this thread after doing a search to see if any recalls had been made on these things, because my poor cat has been vomiting all week. I finally deduced that it was likely the treats, so I stopped giving them to her and so far she seems to have stopped vomiting. She'd had these treats a lot in the past, but I think this was either a "bad" bag or they started putting new ingredients in them. I'm never buying them again.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:30 PM

7,588 posts, read 5,099,463 times
I think this was discussed in another thread a few weeks back, but it never hurts to keep spreading the word. Doesn't matter if it was a bad batch or they changed the ingredients... there's no way to know, so you have to stop using it permanently. I had given Temptations treats to my guys for years with no bad reactions that I know of, but no more. Don't trust them now.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 649 times
Has there been any reports of that Temptation Treats could be tied to diabetes in cats??? I have given these treats to my cats for years and now two diagnosed with diabetes....neither were overweight! HELP! (One has died!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or