Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,878 times

Advertisements

We have four cats and the youngest was rescued at 9 months old and he is just a doll! Today he did not surface as usual. He was found under our bed and very drowsy and lethargic. He hissed at hubby but let me hold him and tried to feed him which did not work. Just no interest. Used a syringe to offer water and he kept trying to sleep through it. Massaged his throat. Noticed he vomited in the other room. Litter is clean. Will call the vet first thing in the morning. What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 04:00 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Snake bite?

Get him to the vet, this is serious.

Good luck I hope he's ok.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
From what you've described it could be any number of things & could be serious. If you have emergency vet services available, you might want to take him in now, rather than wait till morning. You didn't say if he's ever been to the vet and tested for the major diseases, vaccinated, etc., so not much to go on.
Thought & prayers for your cat.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 PM

218 posts, read 544,395 times
What Catdad said...and if he's too lethargic to even take the syringe or be annoyed by it, he's in dire straits.

EMERGENCY VET - NOW!

Last edited by OcalaLiving; 09-12-2013 at 07:19 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 07:35 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Have not heard of that much lethargy really, doesn't sound great. Hiding for extended period of time generally means not feeling well, usually towards the severe end of not feeling well. Hard to know what happened, could have ingested something or could have a birth defect rearing its head or maybe something else. Did he slow down eating before today? Vet as soon as you can, ER vet is likely warranted if accessible to you. Much as I don't like going the ER route, in the scenario you have described I would do it.

Hope he is okay....

Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Poor baby! Please let us know what happened.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:01 PM

22 posts, read 77,669 times
Get him to the vet ASAP! This is a cat in need of emergency care. Hate to say this, but he might not be around in the morning, from what little you're describing.
Could be any number of things. Poison? Infection? Dehydration? Injury? You name it.
If he was a human exhibiting the same signs, would you wait until morning?

Old 09-27-2013, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,878 times
Default Thank you all for your responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCats View Post
We have four cats and the youngest was rescued at 9 months old and he is just a doll! Today he did not surface as usual. He was found under our bed and very drowsy and lethargic. He hissed at hubby but let me hold him and tried to feed him which did not work. Just no interest. Used a syringe to offer water and he kept trying to sleep through it. Massaged his throat. Noticed he vomited in the other room. Litter is clean. Will call the vet first thing in the morning. What am I missing?

UPDATE: I could not figure out how to check for responses so I continued to give Baby drops of water and karo syrup from 5 pm through the night and stopped in the morning when he found some wet food and ate it on his own. So far nothing has come up as far as infection. He was weak for 24 hours and is back to normal with energy, appetite and potty. We return for another check up on Monday. I was wondering if he was diabetic but will explore that more at the followup.

Thank you for your responses. Best, Desiree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats