Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 02:34 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times

Advertisements

I don't like the sound of all this ... although I know that whenever one of my kitties seems to not be feeling well, I always panic ... but 99.9% of the time they end up just fine. I try to remind myself that sometimes I get sick too but it's not serious.

I'll think good thoughts for you and Charlie, Robyn! Appreciate the updates too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 06:13 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Charlie was given an appetite stimulant last night and he ate very well this morning and was very perky. I am on my way out to take him back in for a follow up x ray to see if that area moved along, if it was gas, or whatever.

Cross your paws! He is just about back to himself behavior and eating-wise.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:42 AM

I am back from the vets office but I left Charlie there. My vets office is going through a huge change right now. All of the older vets are phasing out, retiring, and they have 3 new young vets and KK and Charlies vet is still there. Charlie saw her yesterday. The day before he saw one of the new ones. Today he saw a different of the new ones.

She said that since he is feeling well he probably didn't need the xray and I could save myself some money. I opted to do it anyway to be on the safe side. The suspicious area has not moved and looks the same. He is full of stool and it is not coming out.

She thought since he was feeling better he would be fine to go home and I should keep an eye on him.

I told her that if he is full of stool and his stool is not moving, if he has a possible foreign object there it will not move either. She agreed with me and he is staying there for an enema. At least the stool will move out and if there is something in there that shouldn't be, it will have a chance to move out naturally.

I think I made the right decision. I am not sure why it didn't occur to her to do that. She also was not a cat person, and that was very obvious.

I usually only schedule our babies when their dr is there but you can't help sick visits.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Keeping fingers crossed that Charlie will be fine after an enema.
All this upheaval at the vet's isn't very encouraging! I think I'd be shopping around for a new place after this.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:01 AM

Thank you. Well, this is the vet that our rescue uses, so we gave them a try. We went through a few different vets there and we were going to finally find another vet, but one day when SO's office kitty was sick, she popped her head in the door and offered her assistance.

She is a great vet and is great with cats. Right now there is something wrong with her husband, so she is taking a few days off a week, but is not one of the ones leaving.

The one who owns it is retiring, but will still be owning the practice. There are 2 others who were retiring as well.

As long as we can keep the one and she does not leave, we will stick around.

I just don't know about the one I saw today.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:31 AM

451 posts, read 769,701 times
Hoping for good things for Charlie today!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:32 AM

369 posts, read 759,932 times
A vet who doesn't like cats?! It sounds like she's in the wrong profession. I'm keeping Charlie in my thoughts, I hope the enema will have him feeling back to his usual self

Old 09-27-2013, 10:39 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I am back from the vets office but I left Charlie there. My vets office is going through a huge change right now. All of the older vets are phasing out, retiring, and they have 3 new young vets and KK and Charlies vet is still there. Charlie saw her yesterday. The day before he saw one of the new ones. Today he saw a different of the new ones.

She said that since he is feeling well he probably didn't need the xray and I could save myself some money. I opted to do it anyway to be on the safe side. The suspicious area has not moved and looks the same. He is full of stool and it is not coming out.

She thought since he was feeling better he would be fine to go home and I should keep an eye on him.

I told her that if he is full of stool and his stool is not moving, if he has a possible foreign object there it will not move either. She agreed with me and he is staying there for an enema. At least the stool will move out and if there is something in there that shouldn't be, it will have a chance to move out naturally.

I think I made the right decision. I am not sure why it didn't occur to her to do that. She also was not a cat person, and that was very obvious.

I usually only schedule our babies when their dr is there but you can't help sick visits.

I am so glad you made the decision for the 2nd x-ray. If he needs an enema then he is exactly where he needs to be - I don't even know if a person could do that at home. I have also heard of a surgical fix if it becomes so impacted that an enema is not sufficient (ouchie). They have medicines that can force the colon to spasm and help push it along, and extra fluids keeping him very hydrated will also help soften the stool. Once it is out he will feel so much better and will be back to himself rather quickly. Just think how miserable you can be when constipation happens (it does to everyone some time or other) - stomach ache, nausea, headache etc....and then you can really understand how bad it makes our babies feel. You did the right thing, absolutely, IMHO....and I hope he makes it home this afternoon so he can have some extra smoochies tonight!!! As long as your regular vet is staying there - I would definitely not pull the trigger on leaving - good vets that understand and actually like their profession are wonderful to find. Having a bunch of newbies on board will be tough - but with time you may even start to prefer them, who knows??? Anyway, please don't fret today - he's in good hands, and you will have him back in your loving arms before you know it. In the meantime - KK needs to start planning that Meowolloween costume we're all hoping for!!!! Be thinkin' about ya'

Old 09-27-2013, 11:07 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,846 times
I hope your professor is understanding, either an animal lover or a caring person who understands others love their fur friends. I hope Charlie impoves soon, I know how difficult this is, how helpless you feel =(

Old 09-27-2013, 11:47 AM

I had to go to the dr and I just got home a few minutes ago. Missed a call from the vet. The vet he saw before is not there now and they were trying to get another vet on the phone. I told them I could talk to them when I come to pick him up. The vet who saw him today said I could just come back in an hour or so and it is 3 hours later now.

I have to meet with a vet before I can pick him up so I had to make an appointment. That is coming up soon, so I will update you all.

My teacher was very understanding. He has dogs and has had to take them in on an emergent basis in the past. I was almost an hour and a half late and he still counted me as present, so that's good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats