Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:39 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob&willy View Post
So glad she in feeling better. I also have had a bad month with a cat, Bob. He was being fed a grain free dry food from Blue, the husband bought it and kept buying it because they ate it. He didn't read the label nor did I until Bob started showing signs of being very sick. We took him twice to the vet, the first visit we were told he was fine. The second visit a few weeks later he had lost weight, which I could see, and he was very sick. The vet injected some fluids, gave up pain pills and antibiotics. Bob got better for a few days then crashed. I finally checked his food and immediately went to a quality pet food store and bought him some dry Organix. The Blue cat food had no animal products in it, the first ingredient is cellulose. YIKES.
CELLULOSE???? OMG....

Quote:
Both cats ate the new kibble for a few days while I did searches for a canned food. I tried several, all organic with no fillers. They didn't care for most of them. I finally tried Primal frozen, they liked it better but didn't go crazy for it.
Did you find it locally or have it shipped? I can't find anyplace that sells frozen cat food where I live. There was a specialty place in a nearby city but they went out of business some time back. I guess the food was just too expensive.

Quote:
Pet Food Express lets you take food back if they don't like it. I took the Primal back and got the freeze dried one and some Rad Cat. This combination works, both cats love it. I am sure your kitty would do great on Rad Cat also. Only problem is cost. I printed out a raw cat food recipe today and intent to get everything I need and start making it. I will NEVER give my beautiful boys man made food again. I don't eat processed foods and neither will they.
I feel the same way and can afford to buy grocery store meat locally - it's the supplements I'm concerned about. Making it a *balanced* diet. I can't seem to find the answer as to what supplement is needed per lb of store bought meat. And organ meat here is not to be found anymore. Even the Asian groceries don't carry it. This processed garbage-meat in the cans can't be anything like the cat's natural diet, though better than any kibble out there. Even the more expensive canned foods aren't very appealing. It's still ground rejected meat and scraps from the slaughter houses.

Can you provide the information here (on your recipe) for others, including myself? What supplement you're going to use and where to get it from to make it a balanced diet. There are other cat forums that discuss the feeding issues in minute detail... but I can't handle any more cat forums. The more I read about cat nutrition/feeding the more confusing it seems to get. And some of those recipes would be hard to follow. I already went through the chicken wings and ground necks and other things that failed totally. Also, since we snowbird, camp and do some traveling in our RV, making complicated food mixes for the cats isn't practical - and the freezer in the RV is not large. That complicates things.

Quote:
This has cost us over $1000 in vet bills and over $100 finding a good cat food that I could trust. Every day Bob improves and has gained weight. It has been 3 weeks since the emergency teeth cleaning, which he needed but not on the emergency basis like the vet said. He just needed his diet changed so he could get the proper nutrition his body needs.
Willy got obese on the crappy food, now he had to lose a few pounds. Both are back running up and down the hall, purring on touch, and talking to me. Something they stopped doing when they were eating that crappy food.
Love my boys and will do anything it takes to get them both back in perfect kitty health. They are taking probiotics, lysine, kelp, and coq10. I am confident they are helping.
Good luck with your pretty girl. Thanks for letting me tell my cat story.
I was glad to read it.

Last edited by =^..^=; 10-11-2013 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
What other cats? Empty nest here, over 3 months now, she was the only....
You don't plan to get another cat?

WHOOPS! I read your reply to someone else. My brother and SIL didn't get another cat when the old one died because they travel so much. Even when home they're out most of the time. Mom is no longer alive to care for a cat while they're away. They don't trust boarding facilities.

Last edited by =^..^=; 10-11-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Oh I plan to get another cat or two. It's just a matter of when. Meantime, the food and a couple other things will be donated, and the place is cleared of cat furniture and almost (but not all) cat items. I have stored up a few things.

Judging purely by looks I've been keeping my eye on this one: www.PetHarbor.com pet:ANIF.A005520

And this one: www.PetHarbor.com pet:ANIF.A037544

But there will always be cats needing homes so perhaps someone else will take them home first. That's okay.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Oh I plan to get another cat or two. It's just a matter of when. Meantime, the food and a couple other things will be donated, and the place is cleared of cat furniture and almost (but not all) cat items. I have stored up a few things.

Judging purely by looks I've been keeping my eye on this one: www.PetHarbor.com pet:ANIF.A005520

And this one: www.PetHarbor.com pet:ANIF.A037544
What beautiful faces they have. And adults! No kitten crazies to live through. We got Zephyr at 9 to 10 months old. She was already past that stage of curtain-climbing and using our legs for tree trunks.

Quote:
But there will always be cats needing homes so perhaps someone else will take them home first. That's okay.
This is true. If someone adopts them, there will always be more. We keep saying to each other that we couldn't live without cats now. We don't know how we lived with just the dogs before we got the cats. (Note: the dogs we had, and we loved them, spent most of their time outside in the fenced area.) How empty the house was before the cats joined us. How much they've added to our lives. With no grandchildren living near us, we dote on and spoil the cats rotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats