U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-07-2013, 05:07 PM

3,750 posts, read 2,462,783 times
Default Best flea medicine for cats?

Recently discovered all three of my cats have fleas, though the infestation seems to be small for now, i can tell it's getting worse since they are beginning to jump on me.

I have tried a few flea medications in the past with some luck, some didn't seem to work at all. What is the best flea medication for the price with the best results? I also don't really like that liquid you squirt on the back of their neck, my cats always find a way to start licking that area, and I know that stuff can be harmful to a cat if enough is ingested.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 PM

4,221 posts, read 4,559,649 times
Frontline Plus, Revolution or Advantage Multi for cats are the most effective and safest options. Get them at the vet. You put it high on the back of the neck, once every thirty days.

If you have fleas jumping on you, you have a serious flea infestation problem.

Not only do you need to start treating your cats every month, you need to eliminate them in your home, too. You need to wash everything that is washable, and vacuum daily. After vacuuming empty the vacuum cleaner receptacle into a bag and take it outside right away.

Wash the cats' bedding every few days and keep vacuuming. If you don't have a bagless vacuum get a flea collar and cut it up and put pieces of it in the vacuum bag. Don't put a flea collar on the cats.

Fleas jump on the cat to lay eggs and feed. The eggs drop off the cats and they land in the carpeting, upholstery, in floor cracks, everywhere. The eggs can lay dormant for months, so it is very important to keep treating the cats, and keep vacuuming.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 PM

2,080 posts, read 650,292 times
I've been using Frontline Plus for years and it's always worked well. If applied at the back of the neck/between the shoulder blades, it won't be possible for the cat to lick it. But the topical treatments will only be effective if the rest of the home is flea free, so you may have to follow Catsmom's advice and de-flea your house at the same time you treat the cats. Otherwise you won't get them all.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM

3,750 posts, read 2,462,783 times
How much does that flea medication go for?

Luckily I don't have that large of a domicile, so vacuuming the floors and washing the clothes and bedding won't takemore than an hour tops. I have tried baths with flea shampoo, but this seems to be very ineffective.

I read somewhere once that laying salt down in the carpet for 8-12 hours will dry out any flea eggs left in there, and vacuuming up the salt later will prevent your cats from getting sick.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:48 PM

2,080 posts, read 650,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
How much does that flea medication go for?

Luckily I don't have that large of a domicile, so vacuuming the floors and washing the clothes and bedding won't takemore than an hour tops. I have tried baths with flea shampoo, but this seems to be very ineffective.

I read somewhere once that laying salt down in the carpet for 8-12 hours will dry out any flea eggs left in there, and vacuuming up the salt later will prevent your cats from getting sick.
I buy my Frontline online. Currently a 6-pack of it runs me $98.00 shipped to my door. A 3-pack would be about half that. Compared to the price at my local vet, I'm saving around $3.00 a dose. It is a bit expensive, but it works. You're supposed to treat them every month, even during cold weather, but sometimes I skip a month or 2 in the middle of winter, depending on how cold it is. If you have mild winters where you are, then you probably need to do it year round.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 PM

8,708 posts, read 11,932,318 times
I used Revolution, and it worked great! But I didn't get it from the vet, I ordered it from Canada Vet. Vectra also works well, but can't ordered, and not all vets carry it. I had a horrible flea infestation. It was at the point when they would jump on me while I was driving, and one time I was going to a potluck, got out of my car, and there was a flea on me. I almost turned around and went home.

It took me three months of treating my cat, plus vacuuming to get rid of them. I had them so bad, that I loaded the cat and all the laundry into the car, set off two bombs, and went to the Laundromat. I covered my computer with a white trash bag, and when I came home, there were dead baby fleas on it. I sent off a third bomb later that week, and continued to treat the carpet with Raid Flea Spray in the purple can.

I got rid of them, but I was persistent, and kept up the treatments. My new place doesn't have any carpeting, so hopefully, I won't have any problems next year.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 PM

6,627 posts, read 5,016,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Recently discovered all three of my cats have fleas, though the infestation seems to be small for now, i can tell it's getting worse since they are beginning to jump on me.
Fleas reproduce like crazy - get it under control as fast as possible.

Quote:
I have tried a few flea medications in the past with some luck, some didn't seem to work at all.
Get Revolution from the vet. It works and works every time. Fleas cannot develop resistance to this medication. It goes on the skin of the back of the neck where the cat cannot lick it. It's quickly absorbed. It works for 30 days, give or take a few days. And spray our home with the insect hormone spray Precor.

Quote:
What is the best flea medication for the price with the best results? I also don't really like that liquid you squirt on the back of their neck, my cats always find a way to start licking that area, and I know that stuff can be harmful to a cat if enough is ingested.
Use Revolution as it's one of the 'mectins. But you have to get it from your vet. It also gets rid of some internal parasites and ear mites.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 PM

6,627 posts, read 5,016,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I got rid of them, but I was persistent, and kept up the treatments. My new place doesn't have any carpeting, so hopefully, I won't have any problems next year.
The *&^%$# fleas also love bedding, sofas and recliners, throw carpets, linen closets, dressers full of clothing, your laundry basket.... We just got rid of a budding flea infestation with Revolution and Precor and lots of vacuuming and washing of bedding and throw rugs. Lot of spraying with Precor and more vacuuming of floors and furniture. Then more vacuuming.

We have a lot of wildlife here and even though our cat's safe outdoor enclosure is also screened against invading insects, they can be brought in on our clothing.

I once stopped to see if a young blue fox hit by a car was still alive. He wasn't but I noticed he was literally crawling with fleas. What torture that must be for wildlife.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 PM

1,071 posts, read 509,196 times
Oh boy if the fleas are on you, you've got a problem.

Lucky you that your place is small. Be sure to move you vacuum under furniture otherwise you'll never get rid of them. I used Capstar because one of our cats breaks out in huge blisters if I use any of the topical meds on him, it was cheaper and worked better. It is however not a preventative so if you find fleas again you have to use it again.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:10 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,559,649 times
Get your frontline plus or whatever at the vet. When you buy online, esp from out of the country, there is no guarantee you are actually getting what you pay for.

Frontline Plus at my vet is $77 for a six pack, plus you get two free pipettes, that is 8 for $77. The two free is the manufacturer promotion, not the vet's promotion. When you buy your frontline plus at the vet you get two free and you know what you are getting.

Try to aim for higher up on the back of the head rather than between the shoulder blades, so they can't reach it to lick.

They will probably need to be de-wormed, fleas give tapeworm to cats. And if the kittens have never been de-wormed they will need to be treated for round and hookworms too. So I would talk to the vet about that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats