Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 189,842 times

Advertisements

And Sabinerose, that's funny - my neighbor met Betty a few days ago and immediately told me that she looks like an owl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 18,768 times
Robin77, that photo really shows the difference doesn't it? I have a young cat that we took in as a stray kitten the October before last. He's about a year and a half old now. He has always had constantly dilated pupils (huge pupils). He was very scared and nervous and it took about a month before he'd let us touch him. Finally caught him and took him to the vet. Vet diagnosed him as having a heart murmur, possibly due to malnutrition as a little one. Who knows if the dilated pupils have anything to do with that. He spent the first year of his life with us in the basement because he was terrified and terrorized by mom's cat. I thought his pupils were bigger because he was in the basement and scared so much. The lights are fairly bright down there, so I kind of discounted that as a reason. Mom's cat passed away last fall and it took a month to get him coaxed upstairs just as far as the top of the stairs for cuddling and belly rubs and another couple of months before he gradually explored further to the rest of the house. He's the epitomy of "nervous as a cat". He's still pretty jumpy and easily scared but he's very friendly and loves belly rubs and loves to play and chase toys and seems to have no other health issues. He used to pant if he played too hard but he seems to have outgrow that. He does "talk" a lot and has a "kitten voice" still. No clue if the dilated pupils have anything to do with the heart murmur or if both issues are a result of poor nutrition and life on the lamb being scared for the first 4 months of his life. No clue. But he seems healthy and has tons of energy.

His name is Meeko:

Mom always says, "What big eyes he has!" Well, not really... just the pupils, lol.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:26 AM

670 posts, read 1,038,864 times
I have two cats with very huge pupils most of the time. My vet said they are seeing more of that now that cats are inside the house all of the time and not getting a lot of natural light. They seem to see just fine.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 18,674 times
Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
I have two cats with very huge pupils most of the time. My vet said they are seeing more of that now that cats are inside the house all of the time and not getting a lot of natural light. They seem to see just fine.
I adopted two kittens who are now six months old. I adopted them at three months and they were spay/neutered right before I brought them home. Brother and sister. They were born at or outside a local shelter and rescued by a local facility. A sibling could not be saved. They were a few weeks old and it took a while to get them completely healthy. I found them seeing their baby pictures and their hair looked really good, including heads. When I went to see them and ever since they seem to have thinned hair in front of and in ears. They get Revolution and they were treated for mites, etc. at the facility. The facility seemed particularly good and I have regular shots and treatments listed in their detailed records. The female seems to have pronounced third eyelids that aren't always noticeable but HUGE round pupils always. They eat kitten chow and I'm changing them over to Blue Wilderness non-grain feed. Their coats are gorgeous. He is black and silky with gray undercoat; she was gray/white and is now black/white and fuzzy/silky with a huge tail. Their energy is crazy. I call her Bunny because she hops and bounces everywhere. He (Darcy for black and loving [Mr.]) from the first day wanted to be near me. She was the first night as well, but more distant. She's coming along liking attention and closeness more and more, but definitely more opinionated and decides she's had enough attention at some point. I wondered if there was anything in early nutrition as well in any differences between them. Vets don't say anything.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:43 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariequi View Post
I adopted two kittens who are now six months old. I adopted them at three months and they were spay/neutered right before I brought them home. Brother and sister. They were born at or outside a local shelter and rescued by a local facility. A sibling could not be saved. They were a few weeks old and it took a while to get them completely healthy. I found them seeing their baby pictures and their hair looked really good, including heads. When I went to see them and ever since they seem to have thinned hair in front of and in ears. They get Revolution and they were treated for mites, etc. at the facility. The facility seemed particularly good and I have regular shots and treatments listed in their detailed records. The female seems to have pronounced third eyelids that aren't always noticeable but HUGE round pupils always. They eat kitten chow and I'm changing them over to Blue Wilderness non-grain feed. Their coats are gorgeous. He is black and silky with gray undercoat; she was gray/white and is now black/white and fuzzy/silky with a huge tail. Their energy is crazy. I call her Bunny because she hops and bounces everywhere. He (Darcy for black and loving [Mr.]) from the first day wanted to be near me. She was the first night as well, but more distant. She's coming along liking attention and closeness more and more, but definitely more opinionated and decides she's had enough attention at some point. I wondered if there was anything in early nutrition as well in any differences between them. Vets don't say anything.

Third eye lid showing is usually a sign of illness, generally digestive or intestinal upset, or parasites perhaps (tapeworm comes to mind, revolution kills round and hook worm and mites, but not tape worm). Perhaps she just has a bit of tummy upset from the diet you are feeding.

I don't advise you to continue on the kitten chow (horrible food) but Blue isn't much better really. They refuse to disclose their ingredient sources, for one thing, their image is all marketing and hype, the food is not that wonderful.

Get your kittens on a canned diet now while they are still young and not yet addicted to the stuff sprayed on kibble to make cats eat it. Look for canned foods that have identified meat ingredients, avoid grains, cellulose, too many fruits and veggies, especially spinach. But almost any canned is better than dry.

The energy is normal activity for six month old kittens, not crazy at all. Kittens go and go and go and go and go.

Here's some good information on feline nutrition:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Old 05-19-2014, 09:58 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post

.....Since this has already been addressed with the vet as I said... just wondering if anyone else has a cat with constantly dilated pupils?
My Zebulon has nystigmus in both eyes and pupils as you describe. They're never slits in bright light as are the 3 girl's pupils. His vision, despite the condition he has, is good. He can catch a small flying insect with both paws.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 18,589 times
Our cat is 16 and quite small and she has round pupils all the time only realised when my sons cat came to stay and hers are slits I thought she was the odd one!

Old 06-13-2014, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 37,184 times
My cat has had this condition since we got her as a 6 month old kitten. She has no problem catching mice at night. She appears to have no vision issues, and yes, she looks exactly like the cat on the right with round eyes. Her eyes do NOT go down to a cat shape, they are round pupils! No health problems, she eats a great diet and never appeared starved or nutritionally deficient. I think this may be a genetic deformity and not a high blood pressure or nutritional deficiency issue. Thiamine deficiency, (like vitamin C deficiency in humans) leads to serious health issues and death.

My also has a slight bone abnormality in her tail, leading to a curve in the bones at the tip of her tail. One of her kittens (she had six) had a more severe form. He also had the same thing. So I am now wondering if any of the rest of you notice bone abnormalities in your cats tails as mine shows.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 37,184 times
My cat has had this condition since we got her as a 6 month old kitten. She has no problem catching mice at night. She appears to have no vision issues, and yes, she looks exactly like the cat on the right with round eyes. Her eyes do NOT go down to a cat shape, they are round pupils! No health problems, she eats a great diet and never appeared starved or nutritionally deficient. I think this may be a genetic deformity and not a high blood pressure or nutritional deficiency issue. Thiamine deficiency, (like vitamin C deficiency in humans) leads to serious health issues and death.

My also has a slight bone abnormality in her tail, leading to a curve in the bones at the tip of her tail. One of her kittens (she had six) had a more severe form. He also had the same thing. So I am now wondering if any of the rest of you notice bone abnormalities in your cats tails as mine shows.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 18,515 times
Yes. My cat is 14. I've had him since he was about 3 months old and while his pupils will react a bit to direct light...they are mostly just huge and never slit.

His vet hasn't seen a cause for alarm and he is a very healthy, happy boy. He squints in sunlight while his brother and sister happily slit away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Quick question... one of my cats has always had giant pupils, in all kinds of light. No matter what he's doing, no matter what time of day, his pupils are always massive.

He's gotten regular vet care since I adopted him at 7 months and this has never been explained by a vet, nor has it been much of a concern. But I took a picture of him just now and realized how odd his pupils really are so of course now I'm Googling it and getting all kinds of crazy information (good thing I trust my vet more than I trust anything I ever read on the Internet I suppose!).

His pupils DO change size in direct light, but generally from huge to only slightly less huge. I've had him for over two years and this has always been the case. He gets around fine, eats a nutritious grain-free diet, is a very strange cat but I have no reason to suspect there is a worrisome medical condition causing it.

Since this has already been addressed with the vet as I said... just wondering if anyone else has a cat with constantly dilated pupils?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats