Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:06 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times

Advertisements

The vet was very happy to see Phaedra doing so much better DH said. Not feeling well this morning, my husband took her in alone. I stayed in bed. Phaedra is back to herself today, getting extra kibble treats beside her canned/raw food to help her regain the lost weight. Those anit-inflammation and the wormer injections really made the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 06:22 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Great to hear good news like this.
Thanks for the update.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Wonderful news for the baby - I am happy she is feeling so much better and progressing so well....not so happy to hear that YOU are not feeling well. Must be pretty bad for you to miss an appointment for your baby - but I am glad your hubby was able to make it without you there. You take care of yourself - so you can take care of your family, OK?? I am sending healing thought to you all!!!

Old 10-12-2013, 05:28 AM

CD and CF: Thanks for the replies. It seemed to be my turn for a bit of an upset stomach. I was fine a few hours later. Probably something I ate the night before. I tried some different dishes and just plain ate too much at the Chinese Restaurant. I know better but the food was delicious.

Well this episode with Phaedra is over.... let's all hope it doesn't happen again.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Happy news

Old 10-12-2013, 07:03 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
I'm so glad Phaedra is doing better! What comes next? Is she going to need the anti-inflammatory shots on a regular basis now? Or have you tweaked something out of her diet that I missed reading about?

Or is it just thought to be an idiopathic flareup and if it happens again the vet will follow the same treatment with the injections?

What were those injections? I know you said anti inflammatory and de-worming, but I'd like to know what they are called. I always want to know, in case I ever am faced with things like that.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:05 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Well I am certainly glad to hear your kitty is doing well!!!

Old 10-12-2013, 10:09 PM

Default Zebulon now has blood in his stool.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I'm so glad Phaedra is doing better! What comes next? Is she going to need the anti-inflammatory shots on a regular basis now? Or have you tweaked something out of her diet that I missed reading about?
We don't know what she's going to need long-term since we don't really know what caused this episode. I omitted the raw turkey and chicken as the vet suggested. She's just getting the canned and the kibble. About 2/3 canned and 1/3 mixed grain-free kibble from PetsMart. But since Zebulon now has blood in his stool, we're leaning toward an internal parasite. (WRONG info: One of her injections was for internal parasites.) The parasite treatment was with Profender. I think the vet said hookworm. I have to call the vet Monday morning about Zeb' and our emergency cat-fund is totally depleted.

Quote:
Or is it just thought to be an idiopathic flareup and if it happens again the vet will follow the same treatment with the injections?
We don't know yet. And now with Zeb' passing blood on his stool.... what does that point to? He has no stomach problems, never retches and has never had loose or bloody stool. It's starting to appear they have a possible hookworm infestation that's not being picked up when their fecals are run. Keep in mind we're out in the country here with all kinds of wildlife and stray cats and an occasional dog. We can be bringing anything in on our shoes or pants.

Quote:
What were those injections? I know you said anti inflammatory and de-worming, but I'd like to know what they are called. I always want to know, in case I ever am faced with things like that.
The names are (one is not an inj):

Cerenia 10mg $31.59 stops vomiting
Corticosteriod (MethlyPrednison) $38.50 anti-inflammatory

And Profender .70ml $20.30 Broad spectrum wormer

NOTE: PetsMart doesn't sell it as it's a priscription product. This way they can charge you TWICE what you'd pay mail-order. But the place we go will not write priscriptions for mail-order meds.

Last edited by =^..^=; 10-12-2013 at 10:41 PM..

Old 10-13-2013, 04:40 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Kitty.....wow, now another baby is sick? With Zebulon (love his name btw - you hardly hear it any more. It's an oldie - Grandpa Walton was named Zebulon) now passing blood - I can only imagine how stressful your household is right now. Is he passing a lot of blood? Any mucus with it? Is it bright red, or dark? The reason I ask - initially when I took Jack in - he was passing blood in his stool. The doc determined that he was straining so hard to defecate that tiny blood vessels were breaking with the pressure and the blood was coming from that. Once they got him to "move" a bit easier - the bleeding stopped. Just a thought - any constipation issues with him lately? Also, here's a link to a place our old vet used, and my current vet also uses for some prescriptions. The Cisapride that Jack was taking came from here (it was compounded) and we also used to get the Transdermal Gel to give Boobert his thyroid meds since we could not get a pill down his little throat. Saved us both a lot of stress. Their service is fantastic and as for prices - you can compare or check with them before you commit. There are instructions on their website for your vet to relay rx info to them. I am totally impressed with them. Here's the link:Pet Medicine for Pets and Pet Meds for Horses | Wedgewood Pet RX
I know from experience that the emergency fund can vanish like smoke - it sure goes out faster than you can put it in. Things have got to turn around for you guys soon. Glad Phaedra (and YOU) are both feeling better. Keeping my paws crossed here.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Kitty.....wow, now another baby is sick? With Zebulon (love his name btw - you hardly hear it any more. It's an oldie - Grandpa Walton was named Zebulon) now passing blood - I can only imagine how stressful your household is right now. Is he passing a lot of blood? Any mucus with it? Is it bright red, or dark? The reason I ask - initially when I took Jack in - he was passing blood in his stool. The doc determined that he was straining so hard to defecate that tiny blood vessels were breaking with the pressure and the blood was coming from that. Once they got him to "move" a bit easier - the bleeding stopped. Just a thought - any constipation issues with him lately?
No constipation and he's not acting sick but he looks like he's lost some weight. He's a thin cat to start with. He's always been on the thin side. He hates raw and canned food and only eats enough to stay alive. One of the vets thinks it's better if I feed him the better kibbles and have him a normal weight than to force him to exist on canned and raw and be too thin. We're both stressed over what's going on here. First the flea infestation. Then Phaedra being so sick. Now Zeb' with blood in his stool. Add to that the constant fight to get 3 of these 4 cats to eat enough canned and raw food. They don't like it - PERIOD! The inability to find organ meats where we live.

The blood in Zeb's stool is watery just like Phaedra's was. I was right there folding laundry when he came in to use the box so I looked as he went. Perfect formed tootsie-roll with watery blood on it. No slime or foam or mucus. Now I know those into raw feeding may not want to hear this but a vet warned me when I first started with the raw food that it could bring parasites to the cats. Our slaughterhouses are filthy places due to greed by their corporate owners. As you know e.coli and salmonella are commonly found on the slaughtered animals (meat) leaving those places. I'm not saying they got internal parasites from raw meat, but it's a possibility. They don't have roundworms or tapes as they're easy to see in the stool. I suspect hookworm as they're very common here in the south.

Quote:
Also, here's a link to a place our old vet used, and my current vet also uses for some prescriptions. The Cisapride that Jack was taking came from here (it was compounded) and we also used to get the Transdermal Gel to give Boobert his thyroid meds since we could not get a pill down his little throat. Saved us both a lot of stress. Their service is fantastic and as for prices - you can compare or check with them before you commit. There are instructions on their website for your vet to relay rx info to them. I am totally impressed with them. Here's the link:Pet Medicine for Pets and Pet Meds for Horses | Wedgewood Pet RX
The vets where I go will NOT write prescriptions for mail order medications. None of the vets around here will. They want to make as much money selling you meds as possible. Their markup on drugs is astronomical. Pure profit. In all fairness though, they will *sometimes* call a prescription in to one of the LOCAL drug stores - but mail order - never happen.

Quote:
I know from experience that the emergency fund can vanish like smoke - it sure goes out faster than you can put it in. Things have got to turn around for you guys soon. Glad Phaedra (and YOU) are both feeling better. Keeping my paws crossed here.
I can't help thinking about the 3 dogs we had for 15 to 17 years. Only one ever got sick and that was with Ehrlichiosis from a tick bite. Ticks are terrible here. There was one flea infestation during those years that was finally wiped out with an "Insect Growth Hormone Regulator" spray - nothing else worked. Near the end, all developed tumors... probably from a lifetime of heartworm medcation and constant exposure to the spraying for ticks in their 1/4 acre fenced in area. And of course feeding was no problem as dogs will eat anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats