Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:28 AM

62 posts, read 294,142 times

Advertisements

Bob is still a happy, healthy, American Shorthair cat. He is eating his raw dark meat turkey, sardines, salmon, turkey hearts, and livers. That is pretty much his foods of choice. He has days when he eats more than others.
I always finish his meal with a bit of his favorite coconut oil to cleanse his teeth.
He has an appointment Jan. 24 for another teeth cleaning. I am feeling pretty good that he is doing great and will keep all his beautiful teeth.
He has become quit the talker and a lap cat. All new stuff for him.
He hasn't had a bout with herpes in over a month and then it is short. His breath is not smelly and no drools. We are thrilled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 AM

306 posts, read 414,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Just keep in mind this is the same society that believes Rhino horn and tiger penises improves a man's sex life/drive/fertility etc, that it makes him more potent and other nonsense.
Vs. our society that believes a little blue pill does that, along with makes you as fit as when you were 19 and handsome with a pretty spouse, at least it's implied in the ads? I am contemplating a holistic vet because I think some vets, like people docs, are doing too much unnecessary testing and what have you.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,897,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
Vs. our society that believes a little blue pill does that, along with makes you as fit as when you were 19 and handsome with a pretty spouse, at least it's implied in the ads? I am contemplating a holistic vet because I think some vets, like people docs, are doing too much unnecessary testing and what have you.
Don't include everyone in your statements. All of society does NOT believe in magic "pills" to do anything/everything/whatever.

And yes, some vets are as bad as some Drs but without testing to some extent, a vet or Dr can't know what the problem is in many cases.

As for the teeth cleaning without anesthesia; what I meant was if the vet can do it without anesthesia, he/she should be able to "clean" the cats teeth at home. She didn't really clean them since that can't be done without anesthesia. However, she can wipe them off with a covered finger which is better than nothing.

As for quacks... there are plenty of them out there looking to take your money.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:51 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,897,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Unless you know something about this vet from another thread...you're confused. It's possible she IS not a great vet or even an awful vet. But your post makes it sound like "holistic" is all quack. ........
My point was anyone who believes in Rhino horn and tiger penises to cure or treat anything is indeed a quack.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:25 PM

I have been asked for an update on Bob. He still has all his teeth. The vet said his teeth aren't bad. He may need another deep cleaning in a few months.
I had to stop going to the holistic vet because I lost my job, i haven't been working for over a year. It has been life changing in many ways.
I noticed Bob drooling and sleeping more about 6weeks ago. I assumed it was his stomatits so I took him to the vet.
That is when she said his teeth were fine but Bob is a very sick guy. $2,000 later he is still undiagnosed even though he has had all the tests. He was given 2 antibiotics, prednisone and a pill for bile. He got a bit better. The vet took him off predisone. I took him once a week for tests, then twice a month, he is now once a month.
Still undiagnosed.
I was told to stop feeding him raw, although willy eats the same food and he is not sick.
I am giving them hounds and Gatos and cook a whole organic chicken for bone broth, give them the dark meat and the bone broth. They are eating good, Bob has gained weight willy has lost some needed weight.
I am giving Bob curcumin, St. John's wort, and milk thistle. Vet recommended samE but I have been lax with it because it needs to be given on an empty stomach.
The vet scared us, saying it was cancer on our first visit. It was so stressful. I don't like remembering it.
Today Bob is active, eats great, even plays. He goes in for liver tests next week. Money is still an issue here so hopefully his liver enzymes are up.
Bob hates the St. John's wort extract. I am now putting it in a syringe with chicken bone broth. He tolerates it better, still hates it though. As soon as I started his supplements he stopped drooling and was more alert.
I will continue giving him the supplements for liver support and anti bacterial and anti viral. It takes lots of reading to find them for cats with autoimmune disease. I am giving him thorne curcu sa50. The other ones are liquid from vitamin shoppe, no alcohol.
I will do anything to keep him off predisone.
I am now feeding the cats 3 times a day. I read that cats with liver issues should eat more often plus it is just better in general.
So another up date is needed after his next visit. I can say one thing, Bob would not let me touch his tummy or get near it without a good scratching on my arm, he now let's me rub his tummy and he lays on his back again. All good signs of no pain there.
Bob is such a trooper and a good cat. A great personality and a joy to be with.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:39 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,485,536 times
I could say a lot, but don't dare for fear you will jump on me rather than discuss the issues. I feel sorry for your cat: If this is true stomatitis with inflammation at the back of the throat, on either side of the soft palate (a vet tech or vet can show you by opening his mouth very wide), your holistic vet was a genius who ought to be published in scientific veterinary journals because this is the very first time that a cat with true, correctly diagnosed stomatitis ever got well (beyond the initial very very mild stage, which is long past for your cat) with just medication or any holistic therapy. Never has there been any documentation that this disease was cured that way and this disease is progressive. So, if your cat doesn't have true stomatitis (gingivostomatitis is the correct name, the board certified dental surgeon at Cornell says) that's a different story, but if he does, he is in for a terrible mouth which will get progressively worse to the point of severe pain. Don't shoot the messenger. I can show you a lot of links which will provide the data on the progression of this autoimmune disease but I don't think that you even want to hear it.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:41 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,485,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob&willy View Post
I have been asked for an update on Bob. He still has all his teeth. The vet said his teeth aren't bad. He may need another deep cleaning in a few months.
I had to stop going to the holistic vet because I lost my job, i haven't been working for over a year. It has been life changing in many ways.

If you are concerned about money,my friend who had 2 cats with stomatitis and couldn't afford vet care was able to raise $2500 via Go Fund Me and You Caring.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,985 times
I am so sorry to hear about Bob!
I was compelled to join this forum after seeing your post tonite -
(I have been reading up on stomatitis in all of my free time the past few weeks since my Nigel likely has stomatitis that has made life very stressful for both of us the past few months.)
(From what you describe as a possible diagnosis of cancer, it sounds like the stomatitis is the least of his / your worries at this moment. )
I know how difficult it is to try to do the best for your cat and how helpless it feels when you cannot make them better-especially when your income is limited. (It is obvious from your previous posts that you took excellent care of Bob in identifying and controlling his condition to give him a good pain free life)
Please keep us posted, my friend.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:29 PM

Bob does not have cancer, it was the vet that scared us with saying it was likely. After several expensive tests he is still undiagnosed except that he has an inflammed liver.

He goes back to the vet for a liver enzyme test this week.
The vet told me to stop feeding him raw because of the possible bacteria in raw. He is now on a quality canned food and cooked dark chicken and bone broth.
She has always been against raw, I still am not, but complying with the vet for now. Willy is ok, he got obese on raw and is slowly losing on his new food. Bob has gained about a pound. He fluctuates from 10.4 to closer to 11. He is a tall boy, willy was 15 pounds, short and big bodied. He is on a diet.he actually eats less than Bob, they have very different metabolizims.
I fed them only organic food and still do. Their new food is $6 a day. I am cooking an organic chicken in hopes to get it down to $4.50 a day, plus a better chicken.
Bob hates taking his supplements, then I added a bit of bone broth and syringed it in his mouth, we are both better for it.
The 5 pills a day was misery for all. He is off nasty pills for now, he is taking several supplements that are proven to help inflammation and the liver.
Bob is a great cat. Not like any pure bred ASH I have known. He tells me what he wants, very vocal. Usually it is my chair, or a few yanks on my necklace.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:32 PM

106 posts, read 140,253 times
Such smart informed people on this board, I am impressed. I'm still curious as to how this Vet is able to clean your cat's teeth. I understand it is not a sublingual cleaning so is your Vet just brushing Bob's teeth? bob&willy Can you explain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats