Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 08:32 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times

Advertisements

Neighbor and I care for two loosely-connected feral cat colonies....we do TNR (trap-neuter-release) but kittens still occasionally happen.

Neighbor has shown me a litter of three kittens. They are quite wild but will come close for feeding, especially if we stay still and put out some canned food. One of the three is definitely a dwarf - tiny stumpy legs, tiny stumpy tail, round smooshy face, about half at most the size of its littermates. My neighbor figures the litter is about ten weeks old. I think I could probably hold this kitten in the palm of my hand. Of the three, it is actually the one that will come closest...I was able to briefly pet it while it was eating this morning.

I'm visiting my vet on an unrelated matter this morning and will ask him what he thinks...obviously I think this kitten, although it appears healthy otherwise, cannot probably survive long as a midget outdoors. We plan to trap it in the next few days. Plus it's so freaking adorable getting it adopted (if healthy enough) will be easy. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me this morning when I went down to see it. I will try to get a photo in the next couple of days.

However, I know that midget kittens can have a lot of health concerns and many if not most don't live that long.

DWARF, MIDGET AND MINIATURE CATS (TEACUP CATS) - HISTORICAL CASES AND RANDOMBRED CATS

Does anyone have any experience with kittens or cats with dwarfism?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I have no experience but isn't that the "breed" they call Munchkins? I've seen them at cat shows and they are adorable. But outside would probably be a challenge. I don't think 10 weeks is too old to domesticate it. Hopefully you can find a good home for him.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:50 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
Bless your heart for caring for all of these cats. I'm crossing my fingers that this guy (girl?) will be healthy enough. I knew about "munchkin" cats, but never considered that cats can have dwarfism.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:25 PM

Well my vet says he will do a health exam but predicting future issues may be between difficult and prohibitively expensive. However, I have three people already who have offered to keep and care for it at least on a temporary basis once it's been vetted and until a permanent home can be found. (Both my neighbor and I have dogs that are not reliably cat-safe, so we cannot house strays or ferals indoors.)

Yes, "Munchkin" cats are cats deliberately bred for a genetic mutation causing deformed short legs, which I don't agree AT ALL with but they are now a breed.

Munchkin (cat) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This kitten is seriously stinking adorable, though. A teensy round ball of gray fur with tiny stumpy legs and tail. The plan is over the next few days, we will spend as much time as possible around the ferals while feeding them to try to get this one accustomed to being touched and near humans. Then by Friday or Saturday, get it into either a carrier or humane trap, and get it to the vet, then to a temporary home. Depending on what health testing reveals.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:33 PM

several you tubes of munchkins but this is the best. pardon the advertisement.

Cats 101: Munchkin - YouTube

Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 AM

451 posts, read 769,701 times
I'm pretty sure that Tardur Sauce (aka Grumpy Cat) has feline dwarfism, and she seems to be in good health. Hopefully your little dwarf kitty will also live a long and happy life.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
I'm pretty sure that Tardur Sauce (aka Grumpy Cat) has feline dwarfism, and she seems to be in good health. Hopefully your little dwarf kitty will also live a long and happy life.
and make you as much money as Grumpy Cat is for her owner!

Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
and make you as much money as Grumpy Cat is for her owner!
I can only hope, LOL!

None of the photos I took this morning were worth a darn. It was nasty and raining. Munchkin will hopefully be grabbed up/trapped on Saturday morning, get checked by my vet then go to a friend's house; she will keep him as long as need be.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:10 PM

Update: I picked up Piglet (official name) this morning and took him to the vet. He's healthy, FeLV/FIV negative, yay.
Vet won't say he's "deformed" but according to facial features and teeth, he thinks between 8-10 weeks old but with the weight (1.5 lbs) of a 5-6 week old kitten.
Also folded ears and very short legs, with a gait somewhat like those over-angulated German shepherds one sees in the US show ring.
So maybe not technically a "dwarf" but certainly very small, and will probably grow to be a very small adult cat with truncated legs, tail and ears.

Right now he has free roam of a friend's spare bedroom with a crate, food, water, toys and litter box. He's a bit overwhelmed but anybody can walk in and pick him up for a cuddle, if you don't move too fast or noisily. He doesn't run away or hide. Once he's settled in a bit he'll get more freedom. Already have a couple of potential people interested in him.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:40 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
That's great news!

Thanks for the update!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats