Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 01:36 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,314,150 times

Advertisements

I lost my cat, Marshmallow, last March. He became ill rather quickly and died before we could save him.

I did save some of his fur, as a memento. I now have reason to believe he was "murdered". Ok, call me crazy, whatever......I was wondering if there's someplace that could do an analysis of his fur to see if there is anything, such as poison, etc. I've already contacted two leading vet schools, they said they do not do such. I did NOT mention I thought he was murdered, or they wouldn't want to get into it, I just said I would like to know, for my own peace of mind, exactly what happened.

Please, no flames that I've been reading too many horror novels, its a long story, but, well......any ideas where I could get his remaining fur analyzed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 02:04 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,901,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I lost my cat, Marshmallow, last March. He became ill rather quickly and died before we could save him. ...

....Please, no flames that I've been reading too many horror novels, its a long story, but, well......any ideas where I could get his remaining fur analyzed?
Was he allowed out to wander alone? If so, he may have picked up something toxic. An autopsy would have answered your questions. Also, was he blocked? Cats allowed outdoors can block and the owner never realizes it.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:01 PM

2,974 posts, read 3,878,287 times
Have you tried any (human) online labs that analyze hair samples? You may be able to mail in some fur for testing, like you can for human hair.

I am wondering if you called your vet and asked this already?

Old 11-15-2013, 03:20 PM

No, he never went outside, so he didn't get into anything, like antifreeze.

He did not have a blockage, we took him to the ER they found diabetes, multiple systems organ failure, it was the vet's dx that he just went from diabetes. They euthanasized him, there was nothing else they could do at that point. There's no way now to do an autopsy, even if we dug him up---the euthanasia chemicals would throw off any tests, etc.

Its a long story, but I believe he was "murdered". There's nothing any test or analysis could do at this point, but it would give me information I need to know......

I like the idea of just an independent lab, one of those labs you see around that test for whatever, just see if anything "funny" turns up.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:37 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,042,068 times
Who "murdered" the cat????

Old 11-15-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Who "murdered" the cat????

I suspect my son. He always resented the cat, and, Marshmallow was terrified of him. He would run to me and hiss at my son. There's more to the story.....I've found evidence of my ds using many different controlled substances. I suspect he might have tried something on the cat, to see if it was dangerous, or just to watch the cat "get high"

Old 11-15-2013, 04:11 PM

11,198 posts, read 19,378,376 times
Here is some information you may find useful:

Omega Laboratories*-*Hair Testing FAQ

I searched "independent lab testing of hair"

There were quite a few links, but this one I opened at random has information that may help you decide if you will be able to actually find anything out or not.

PS I'm sorry you have this suspicion. How awful for you. I hope you can find peace somehow about the circumstances of your beloved Marshmallow's death.

Last edited by catsmom21; 11-15-2013 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Here is some information you may find useful:

Omega Laboratories*-*Hair Testing FAQ

I searched "independent lab testing of hair"

There were quite a few links, but this one I opened at random has information that may help you decide if you will be able to actually find anything out or not.

PS I'm sorry you have this suspicion. How awful for you. I hope you can find peace somehow about the circumstances of your beloved Marshmallow's death.

Thanks for the links.

You wouldn't believe my story, but here's the situation:

My ds attacked my dh with a knife, we called police. They took him to the ER, which transferred him to a psychiatric hospital.

The hospital ER did a test, which tested positive for marijuana and meth. However, they said the urine test is only about 60-70% accurate. So, what would be more accurate? They said a blood test, or hair analysis. Ok, so, I requested they do so.

The hospital said they weren't equipped to do such tests, we would have to contact his primary care physician and request an order, which would be done at a local lab. I was flabbergasted---I even asked, is this a fully accredited hospital and ER? yes, it is. So, you tell me, a person is brought here by police, violent, attempted to stab someone, you use a test with limited accuracy, it shows positive, but you suggest we seek a more detailed analysis elsewhere? Yes.....

Then, the hospital determined my son was unstable, and transferred him to a psychiatric hospital in Houston. The police took him, he was considered too dangerous for us to transport. So, when he got to the hospital, they never even looked at the test done in the ER. It was about 5 am by the time he arrived in the psych hospital in Houston, I called, I assumed they had at least bothered to look at the information sent over,. they said oh, no, they didn't realive he'd tested positive for meth and THC. I requested they do a more accurate test, blood test, whatever it is they do in such cases. I know you won't believe this, but they said they don't do such tests. Psychiatrists don't test for THC. they suggested the same thing they suggested here in the ER, have his primary care physician order a test. How? When? Assuming such is done, too much time will have elapsed for an accurate test.

I even asked to see their license---this is a licensed, accredited psychiatric hospital? Indeed it is.

You mean to tell me someone is brought to the ER by police for violent behavior, transferred to an accredited psychiatric facility, and no one does a detailed drug panel? Especially when a preliminary screen reveals possible drug usage? Then, they were prescribling drugs for him at the psych hospital, without even bothering to determine if he had some controlled substance in his system?

I'm truly thinking of taking this to the media, its that absurd!

Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,259,015 times
We always did tox screens when I worked in acute psychiatry. It`s common sense.
I`m really sorry about the loss of your furbaby.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,616,889 times
I am so sorry to learn of Marshmallow's death. I remember your threads about him in the other forum. He was a wonderful cat. My sympathies, both for your loss and your troubles with your son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats