U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:26 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,884,628 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any cats with this?

I'm fostering one who started out with a prolapsed rectum and incontinent green diarrhea. I fasted him on a home made high calcium chicken broth for three days and started giving him Slippery Elm (the herb) and a little Lomatium dissectum, an herb.

What produced the most dramatic improvement early on I think was the homeopathic remedy called Arsenicum Album which literally pulled in his rectum through his anus and started to slow down his diarrhea and turned it to a normal color.

Conventional veterinary treatment to get rid of this can cause neurological disorders including strokes, epilepsy etc.

With what I've been doing the cat is overall 95% better. Naturally he gets an organic home prepared diet . His stools are usually hard except they may have a greasy coating or can sometimes be part liquid and smelly. This is very characteristic of this particular parasite which may seem to go away and then return-- especially when you notice a cow pie like stool in the litter.

I've heard that some people have had success giving their cats Diatomaceous Earth. I haven't tried that yet. Amber Technology has an expensive herbal called Vibactra Plus which seems too weak. Whenever I try it in place of what I'm doing, the diarrhea returns and gets worse. I've only done it for a few days at a time because i don't want to undo what I've been able to do with everything else.

There is also a mostly homeopathic remedy called Vermex that I was thinking of using but a Naturopath said she didn't think it would be strong enough although the mfr that i also contacted said it was designed for microscopic parasites.

Does anyone know anything about this awful lingering parasite?

Also, how might the litter and litter box affect this? I clean the box at least 2x a day but I've heard that the clumping litter may be bad and that also the box itself needs to be cleaned constantly. In case this is so, i just ordered a ton of cardboard boxes that would be disposable and biodegradable . I may be guilty of not washing the plastic box often enough (since nothing seems to stick to it)

Last edited by emilybh; 11-12-2013 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:37 PM

62 posts, read 234,215 times
I have never heard of this parasite, but I sure am impressed with your treatment.
Do you expect to get rid of the parasite completely?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:53 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,390,205 times
Default Please get treatment for this cat

http://www.icatcare.org/advice-centr...infection-cats

01 Tritrichomonas foetus - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Old 11-13-2013, 08:02 AM

Thanks. I found the links you provided months ago when I figured out this had to be what this cat has. If you read down far enough in the material offered in the first link it says that the Ronidazole can cause seizures and nervous system disorders which is far WORSE than the effects of the parasite itself (at least with what I've been doing). When the possible side effects of the drug are far WORSE than the problem it is supposed to treat, it isn't worth it to me.

I may try to get a hold of the doctor at N. Carolina State University and see if they think there are any other herbs I might add. Rereading the article it mentions a fibrous diet. Maybe the diatamateous earth might help.

I know what REALLY helped initially was FASTING him on the chicken broth. In fact whenever it seems to come back, usually when I'm lazy and end up giving him less of the Slippery Elm or something, I'll stop all solids and give his tummy a rest with the broth adding in the Slippery Elm
to a little bit of it separately and adding in the other herbs to the "main meal" of broth. He loves the taste and in a day or two, the stools are back to being hard and near odorless. It is like a computer re-boot almost.

I HIGHLY recommend for any of you with sick cats, to speed their healing with a nutritious liquid fast. Also either THE NATURAL CAT or her old book THE NEW NATURAL CAT (which you'd think would be the new book but it isn't) are wonderful guides to help you heal your cats better than any conventional veterinarian can do when it comes to chronic and degenerative problems anyway. You'll save a TON of money on vet bills and have a healthier cat than you've ever had.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:01 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Ronidazole can cause seizures and nervous system disorders
This is a very rare event and stopping the Ronidazole stops these symptoms.

Parasites are best ridden of when a poison is applied to them. That is the only way to get rid of a lot of nasty parasites.

If you read the possible side effects for most the common OTC and prescriptions meds you would read very horrific side effects...this is only in extreme cases Rare event.

If it were me I would try this on him in much lower doses and closely monitor. The first sign of a bad side effect I would immediately stop the treatment.

Good Luck and I hope he heals.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:27 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,546,743 times
Has the cat actually been tested for this parasite? Or are you guessing it's what the cat has?

Old 11-15-2013, 01:15 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,323,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Has the cat actually been tested for this parasite? Or are you guessing it's what the cat has?
She self diagnosed the cat from what I understand. This is a dangerous thing to do as some diseases or parasites have the same or very similar symptoms. What can cure or help one does nothing for the other. Her cat really needs to be diagnosed by a veterinarian, not someone dabbling in herbs and alt health websites.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
She self diagnosed the cat from what I understand. This is a dangerous thing to do as some diseases or parasites have the same or very similar symptoms. What can cure or help one does nothing for the other. Her cat really needs to be diagnosed by a veterinarian, not someone dabbling in herbs and alt health websites.
I completely agree with you. People who really don't have the clinical training about parasites should never think that herbs are going to take care of the issue. Parasites can slowly drain the nutrition and life out of cats. Also people who have no pharmacy or true drug side effect knowledge should not go by their own fear of what they read about side effects. When studies are performed for the efficacy of a drug all side effects must be listed. So if 150K people or animals are tested and only 1 develops side effects the drug maker is required to list this as a possible side effect even if it is super rare.

OP please take this cat to a vet. You may truly believe that your herbs are killing the parasite but parasites need very strong medication to get rid of them.

http://www.purringpost.com/2012/02/0...omonas-foetus/

Right out of this Q&A

"If left untreated, approximately ninety percent of infected cats will stop having diarrhea within two years. However, most of these cats will continue to carry the T. foetus organism, possibly for a lifetime. Single cat owners may find this outcome satisfactory if the cat remains healthy in other respects. However, if left untreated, the T. foetus infection will perpetuate within their cattery and spread to other cats and catteries when kittens are adopted or animals are transported for breeding. Although many cats will eventually resolve their diarrhea, the prolonged presence of the organisms could predispose to the development of inflammatory bowel disease later in life, but this has not yet been explored."

Old 07-05-2015, 08:48 PM

Update: He's 100 percent now--- robustly healthy. After he'd built up strength and was over just about every symptom he'd had except shiny smelly (albeit hard) stools (which is another indication of a cat that still hasn't gotten completely rid of this parasite), I gave him about 1/10 a capsule of Wormwood mixed in with his meals. Actually it was the Chinese version, Artemisinin -- FAR preferable to Ronidazol in my mind. About 3-4 days of that was all it took to get rid of the greasy smelly stool and turn them into normal practically odorless -(since he eats home prepared food)- stools. I brought one of them in to be tested and it was "normal" and parasite free! YAY!

See? You can give your cats better care than a vet with no dangerous side effects -- for less-- with some research, good books, like I've recommended, intuition and a little experience with herbs, diet and homeopathics if you DIY! Use the vet for diagnostics. Ronidazole would have added insult to injury.

We all need to take RESPONSIBILITY for our health and our furbabies' health. Learning to do it yourself is how you do it.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:52 AM

Also for you Naysayers. I've been doing this for 28 years! I'm hardly a "dabbler". I KNOW what I'm talking about and I have lots of first hand experience to back it up.

A conventional veterinarian if the truth be told, (and this goes for western medical doctors too), is very narrowly trained in allopathic medicine. They know how to cover up symptoms with drugs -- which is a Godsend if a patient has minutes left to live and that drug can help prolong life. But that is the extent of it.

They aren't trained in what causes the problem or how to get rid of it. People who don't know any better and who don't take any responsibility for the problem stupidly run to them thinking they know EVERYTHING and that they personally shouldn't do ANYTHING unless the "doctor" or vet says so. How prey tell, are practitioners trained strictly in allopathic medicine going to be able to guide you in using herbs or homeopathic remedies or even diet that they know NOTHING about? Would you ask a plumber a question about your electrical system? That is what all of you are doing when you ask questions about anything other than drugs to a vet.

Trust me, your cats will all be a lot better off if for chronic and degenerative problems you find the practitioners who are actually trained in health and healing. Generally they are the Naturopathic Doctors, Herbalists, Homeopaths -- and or start learning about it yourself! Any beginner can follow the instructions in Anitra Frazier's books, The Natural Cat and The New Natural Cat. The hundreds of rave reviews on Amazon prove it. When you are ready there are other good books and some on Homeopathy as well. I used both Homeopathy and herbs for the cat above.

Sadly, if you give over all the responsibility to the vet, your cats are going to miss out on the non-invasive, gentle, real healing tools provided by Nature.

If you aren't confident enough to try the methods recommended by Anitra Frazier author of the Natural Cat and New Natural Cat for starters, then call an herbalist - who DOES know about real healing. Don't limit your poor sick cat to the few tools the vet has which will most times only make your cat worse while emptying your wallet.

To review:
Besides the prolapse rectum, the incontinent green diarrhea where the cat when confined to a bathroom that had to be covered with newspaper because he couldn't even get to the litter box when he needed it, the nasty parasite that not even Ronidazole is guaranteed to get rid of (but it is very dangerous and comes with lots of side effects), he had fleas and he'd licked off all the fur at the base of his tail. All of these things are now over. (Remember, the prolapsed rectum was strengthened/ healed and hard stools had returned in less than a week -which alone was a HUGE accomplishment!) His immune system became so strong he naturally repels fleas and with Siberian Ginseng added to his regime at the time, he stopped overlicking the base of his tail and his fur grew back. All this was achieved using herbs, homeopathy, fasting on broth and giving him mostly a home prepared raw diet with some high quality canned food. Getting rid of the T. Foetus took some work but it happened. His vet is pretty much in awe having seen him initially when I first got him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats