U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:00 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,591,949 times

Advertisements

Sushi is an unbelievable pain in the butt, but I can`t imagine life without him. He yaks, yaks, yaks all day long.....an opinionated and running commentary on everything. When I`m away for the whole day, I actually find myself missing him.
Oh, and he did save my life about a month after I got him. There was a kitchen fire and the house was filling up with dense smoke. He pawed at my face until I woke up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:18 PM

9,918 posts, read 19,788,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I really don't know how people manage without a pet. They add so much life to a house, it is amazing.
I hope you all won't find this reply too indulgent. I think it's relevant here. The remark above is what I realized once I didn't have a pet in the house. Managing without has been harder it seems to me. It's been better recently, but after the holidays we will change things back to having a cat or two.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:29 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,806,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She is very involved in everything we do. I couldn't imagine taking a bath or sitting on the toilet without her help.
This made me laugh. Our bathroom routine would've be routine without the cat always checking in with us to see if things are going smoothly.

Kitty makes a great head warmer too. She always knows when my head is getting slightly chilled, she'll jump up, lay down on it with her tail in my face and warm it right up [this usually happens when I'm lying in bed trying to sleep].

Old 11-15-2013, 08:58 PM

7,718 posts, read 5,178,859 times
The cats in my life have always been entertaining and fun to have around, as well as a pain in the butt once in a while. But the biggest thing is that they kept me from going into depression when my wife passed away. They became even more important to me than they were before. They not only gave me purpose and responsibility to concentrate on, but showed their affection to me when I needed it most. They came to be, and still are my children... my family, and I would be rather lonely here without them.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:59 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,664,130 times
chase , quiet meditation, petting and game playing non of which i would do without mina.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 PM

369 posts, read 564,001 times
I remember when my parents split up, I was 20 & still living at home, and my mom took our cat with her when she moved out. There were so many little interactions I didn't think about until he was gone. Like every time I'd come home, the first thing I'd do was go to Blackie and pet him. It was so hard to break that habit and much disappointment every time I walked in, automatically looked for Blackie, then remembered he was two states away. And the way he'd snuggle up against my chest, under my arm, when I went to bed at night. I didn't know I needed that to fall asleep. 6 years later I still sleep with a pillow under my arm. I don't feel right without it (and Toby & Neptune prefer to lay by my legs and feet, otherwise I would gladly snuggle them instead). And there was this little game we used to play where I'd chase him around the house, he'd hide somewhere then jump out and chase me, then I'd chase him again. He wouldn't play it with my mom, only with me, and I loved that it was my special thing with him. I've tried to get Toby to play but he doesn't get it. When I run up to him he just sits there looking at me like "What the heck are you doing?". Neptune will let me chase him when he has the zoomies (a term I totally stole from one of you because it's the perfect description ) but he doesn't chase me.

Toby and Neptune bring me so much joy, and some frustration but of course they're worth it. It's fun to watch them play together and they're always doing silly things that make me laugh. Toby gives me a leg massage when I get in bed most nights. It's the only time I ever see him kneading. And Neptune is always following me around. I wouldn't call him a velcro kitty because he's not always on me, he's more of a tether kitty. I can take him on a walk like a dog but without a leash, because he stays near me. If he goes to investigate inside a bush or something and loses sight of me he meows, calling for me. I always think this behavior is because he was abandoned - he's making sure he doesn't lose his human this time. I love that I'm so important to him. Except I hate it when he's curled up on the couch so cute, and I get up just to grab something from another room, and he follows me. I always tell him he didn't have to get up, I was coming right back! And sometimes he gets in the way when I'm cooking and he decides he needs to jump up on the counter and "help". But when I pick him up and he immediately starts purring, even if I'm picking him up just to get him off the counter, there are no words for that. It's just love, plain and simple. It was that kind of moment when I really bonded with Toby about a month after I brought him home. Someone I love had done something hurtful to me, and I was sitting on my bed crying. Toby got up from the foot of the bed where he was curled up, rubbed his face against my hand, and laid down next to me. He's not a very affectionate cat and that was the first time he'd laid right next to me. He sensed I was upset and wanted to comfort me - that's when I knew he loved me and I loved him.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 AM

15,926 posts, read 9,836,980 times
Cats (and Dogs too) really make a home so much better. They love you unconditionally, and only want your love and attention in return. I like people, but I like cats so much better because they have no ulterior motives and are only there to be with you and make you happy. Each one has a unique personality.

I can't imagine not having one (or 3, in our case). As soon as I wake up and open my bedroom door there are 3 of them laying there, ready to bug me in the bathroom and let me know their dish is getting a little empty. Even the one stray we have at the shop, Mama Cat, loves to come into our shop when we are working and just lay there, watching what is going on. She gets a very disappointed look on her face when we close up for the night and have to put her out.

There isn't a moment that I am not chuckling about something one of them is doing. Just last night Daisy was up on the high ledge that overlooks our kitchen, staring down at me. She knows she isn't supposed to be up there, but I think she does it just because she isn't allowed.

People who don't like them or don't have one have no idea what they are missing out on.

Don

Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,619,412 times
You're so right Don, people who don't like or don't have them just don't know. My former spouse never had pets when he was growing up so was unprepared for my household - I had one cat who was a HUGE tuxedo, and two dogs a small, sweet terrier mix and a giant, crazy malamute.

My spouse fell in love with the cat. He couldn't believe how wonderful the cat was - ha, he was delusional. The cat was NOT wonderful, he was a curmudgeon, so much so I called him GDMIT as frequently as I used his name! LOL He was quite a character, the dogs trembled at his wrath and if he got in trouble he went for the dog!

Once my spouse was holding him, he was a lap cat, at 20 pounds - he was very large and a bit overweight, my spouse's eyes grew large and his voice strained as he said to me, 'there's something wrong with him, he's shaking!!' I couldn't help but laugh, of course he was purring! Looking up with his beautiful green eyes with pure love because he did love my spouse and was quite happy.

My spouse loved that cat and learned to love cats in general after that, as well as other pets. He went on to get a guinea pig and another dog. He said he had no idea that pet ownership was such a joy. He was from another country where having pets is not the norm and felt that my stinker cat added a new dimension of love to his life.

I still get a little emotional when I think of them, they died within a few years of one another but they added so much to my life I will always be glad to have loved them.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,434,792 times
I cannot imagine life without my critters in it. I've always had critters, had my first pony at age 4, then had dogs, horses, cats, rabbits, goldfish, and now just reduced to one husband and our 22 cats!! My home and my husband and furballs are literally my life...never thought it would end up like that but it has. They make me laugh, smile, cuss, cry, worry, and brag every single day, are a joy to watch, a pain in the arse to take care of, a treasure to hold and remember when they decide they've had enough of my smothering mothering and have to head for the bridge, and I can probably tell you the names of and describe every single one I've ever had in my entire life. That's the kind of impact they make on me - and I'm glad I learned early in life that creatures other than people had feelings, needs, desires, and could teach me life lessons that would enrich me all my days. The older I get, the more I find I need my furry friends - they are the ones I can count on the most, and the ones I tend to turn to first.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:52 PM

2,546 posts, read 5,949,298 times
I can't picture my life without a cat. I love them dearly. Cats provide a peaceful comfort that sometimes no one else can fill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats