U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 10:14 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,716,411 times

Advertisements

When our previous dog passed away we swore we would wait at least a year to get another so that my husband and I could finally go on some vacations together. However the house felt so cold and miserable after her passing that we couldn't last even one month. We went out one day and came home with 2 puppies :-)

Then our children grew up and moved out and we (without planning) added kitties to our family.....and wow.....I always thought I was just a dog person but boy was I wrong! These little guys have stolen my heart too! The peace I feel when they are laying beside me purring and the way that a couple look in my eyes....I just love them to pieces and couldn't imagine a life without them. There is NOTHING I would rather be doing than just hanging out with ALL of my boys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 12:35 AM

8,734 posts, read 6,172,701 times
They add so much in the way of bringing life into the house. Petting a purring cat does get rid of stress. They each have their personalities and have a mind of their own, yet they show so much friendship. They notice when you're having a bad day and act accordingly. I get much more back than I give out. Or it seems that way...Watching them interact is much better than any TV program.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:36 PM

306 posts, read 321,747 times
They are the reason I still have to work

I love coming home at the end of the day and they are waiting for me on the other side of the door. They run to get in front of me and then slow down to a snails' pace all the while griping about the low amount of dry food in the bowl. They pace back and forth commenting on my slowness while I open the can of food. Then later we all sit together in the recliner, the young one and I watching TV the oldster snoozing on my lap. It doesn't get much better than this

Old 11-27-2013, 04:08 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,719,411 times
There's nothing like sleeping in on a day off (especially now that it's getting colder) and having three lumps of fur snuggled up against you .

These cats have brought a lot of joy into my life over the past eight years. And no, it's not fun stepping in a hairball with bare feet or trying to move a queen sized bed because someone doesn't want to go to the vet, but these kitties are what makes my house a home. And they do all have their distinct personalities. Celeste is my little diva, who prances around like she owns the place (even when she's at the vet!). Rambo is my doofy lovable little guy that likes to give hi-fives, and Fiona is my little princess.

I give them all pettins before I leave for work, and I'm excited to have them greet me when I get home. I love their head butts and I love the sound of a kitty purr. They're so cute, no matter what, and I do really believe that they give unconditonal love. My SO never thought that he'd be with a "crazy cat lady" - but here he is, and he has to admit that he loves the little buggers too!

Old 11-30-2013, 01:23 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,898,841 times
I have not had a cat of my own in quite some years. Currently, I have two that are involved in my life though. One belongs to the folks I'm living with right now. He is a rather expensive Rag Doll cat, and is quite a character. He has decreed that I am chief belly rubber, and my bed is his daytime repose. It is also my honor that should he decide me worthy, he will sleep with me at night as well. This honor also demands a good belly rub before I am allowed to sleep. His antics keep me in good humor.

The other cat belongs to my lady love. He has been highly therapeutic for her, helping her through difficult times. He is very protective of her, but, his highness has decided be approves of my love for his mom, being as we both see eye to eye that loving her is just the right thing. Thus, I am allowed to cuddle with her on the couch with a minimum of supervision. Bedtime is different. He must curl up between us for a bit, and settle her in, before tranfering to the top of either hers or my pillow.

Both these critters have greatly enriched my life. I know, I'm a guy, cats are supposed to annoy me. They don't and never have though. Cats and I understand each other. To date, I am the only one allowed to get close to my lady love with her kitty in the same room. Lol...he has given his blessing. I may court his Mom. I am honored.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:40 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,323,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

....Both these critters have greatly enriched my life. I know, I'm a guy, cats are supposed to annoy me. They don't and never have though. Cats and I understand each other. To date, I am the only one allowed to get close to my lady love with her kitty in the same room. Lol...he has given his blessing. I may court his Mom. I am honored.
I wish society would get rid of the old nonsense belief that dogs are manly and cats are for the girls and ladies. No one is more masculine than my son and his now deceased macho-man father or my present husband. All three of these men LOVE cats and are not ashamed who knows it. My SIL also loves cats. I'm sure as many men as women love and keep cats, but they don't talk about it. I think the Internet will change that.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:49 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,898,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I wish society would get rid of the old nonsense belief that dogs are manly and cats are for the girls and ladies. No one is more masculine than my son and his now deceased macho-man father or my present husband. All three of these men LOVE cats and are not ashamed who knows it. My SIL also loves cats. I'm sure as many men as women love and keep cats, but they don't talk about it. I think the Internet will change that.
I like cats just fine. We always had them when I was growing up. Mostly outside barn cats, and I made friends with every one of them. I still remember them all. Hunters, lovers, jesters,kings and queens. My gals cat has helped our relationship in many ways. He brought her out of a depression that was killing me to see. To see her genuinely smile and laugh with her old glow is just amazing. The cat, in turn, knows he is special. He meets me at the door when I come visit, and I have to acknowledge him before anything else. He IS the host, after all.

His blessing on my lady and I's relationship means a lot to her. Maybe it sounds silly, to give an animal that kind of credence, to some, I fully understand and like it. I have always trusted my animals instincts. They can smell when someone is wrong. This cat, literally, seems to play matchmaker with us. It's really funny, because I was there before him. Lol, but I don't mind. I find it flattering that he approves. If it takes us both to keep Mom in the happy place, then a team we are. So far, mission accomplished.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:57 AM

8,734 posts, read 6,172,701 times
I agree that animals use their "sixth sense" and can smell trouble...

Old 11-30-2013, 03:32 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,099,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I like cats just fine. We always had them when I was growing up. Mostly outside barn cats, and I made friends with every one of them. I still remember them all. Hunters, lovers, jesters,kings and queens. My gals cat has helped our relationship in many ways. He brought her out of a depression that was killing me to see. To see her genuinely smile and laugh with her old glow is just amazing. The cat, in turn, knows he is special. He meets me at the door when I come visit, and I have to acknowledge him before anything else. He IS the host, after all.

His blessing on my lady and I's relationship means a lot to her. Maybe it sounds silly, to give an animal that kind of credence, to some, I fully understand and like it. I have always trusted my animals instincts. They can smell when someone is wrong. This cat, literally, seems to play matchmaker with us. It's really funny, because I was there before him. Lol, but I don't mind. I find it flattering that he approves. If it takes us both to keep Mom in the happy place, then a team we are. So far, mission accomplished.
When my late wife and I were dating in the mid 80's, she invited me to her home for dinner one time and I got to meet her 2 male cats. At the time I didn't have pets and had never been around cats very much. All that changed that evening. Her cats made up with me (and I with them) right away, and it was the beginning of my love affair with cats. My lady friend was very pleased that her cats liked me. Years later she told me that that dinner invitation was a test... for me. If her cats had not liked me or been comfortable around me, then our relationship would have gone no further, and she was as serious as she could be about it. Her cats meant that much to her.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:59 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,516,023 times
They sure make a difference in my life. There is nothing like a warm ball of fur on your lap or laying next to you.

Just the other day (Thanksgiving) I was stressing a bit over a few things before we were about to leave for my sister's house. I knew that if I went and petted Kitty Katty for a few minutes the stress would just float right away, and it did.

If we had a bigger house, I am afraid I might be a crazy cat lady, for sure. I met a sweet little fluffy calico baby girl about a week ago, and she wanted to come home with me. Of course I knew that we would be going away around Christmas time and that was the reason I gave myself for not bringing her home. (I really wanted to bring her home...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats