U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 06:53 PM

9,458 posts, read 15,030,133 times

Advertisements

We have 3 cats, 2 short hair, one long hair. They shed a lot, it seems I am constantly cleaning up cat hairs. Also, the kitties suffer from hairballs. We do groom them frequently with a furminator, and give them Petromalt, and sometimes supplement their food with the Hills hairball formula. So far, so good, for the kitties, but what about us?

There seems to be fur, dust, dander, etc, in the air in the home constantly. I dust and vacumn constantly, but more just settles in. We were thinking of buying an air filter, a good one, like Oreck, or Dyson.....I've seen them for $300--$500+. However, I do suffer from sinus headaches, and think it would help with the headaches. It certainly couldn't hurt.

So, does anyone have a good brand they could recommend? I was hoping to find a good one at perhaps an after-Christmas sale....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 AM

5,876 posts, read 11,760,706 times
What are you feeding them, besides that Hills stuff, which is not a good food by the way? If they are on a dry diet, consider changing them to wet. It will cut down a lot of the shedding,and the hair balls.

Go easy on the petromalt, that stuff is made with petroleum, which is a toxic substance. Think about it, petroleum was never meant to be ingested, by ANYone. In addition it interferes with nutrient absorption, and the body will become dependent on it (it is a laxative)

Diet improvement is a much better way to control hairballs and shedding. Add Egg yolk lecithin to help them pass the fur out the way nature intended.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:06 AM

9,918 posts, read 19,697,373 times
The filtering machines aren't going to be much help with the cat fur. They may help a little for someone who is allergic, if you keep cats mainly out of whatever room they sleep in.

Do you have forced air heating and A/C? If so, that will to a certain degree overwhelm a portable machine. I still used them for a time but have mostly stopped now. (I use the bedroom one at night to make white noise. ) You can use more effective furnace filters though which will help somewhat.

If you do want to get a HEPA filter unit or few, it's really only a fan drawing air through filter media. In other words, it's a simple device and you can choose mainly on availability and ease of getting replacement filters, and perhaps the design of the device Oreck still makes electrostatic precipitators. These have been shown not to be useful so do not buy one.

I've never bought one that cost more than about $200. I have had a couple of Whirlpools and a couple of Honeywells. One of the Honeywell units had the fan motor die after several years, but that's not really so awful. The round design of many of the Honeywell units is a little silly still I think and it can be harder to place these sometimes, whereas the oblong box of Whirlpool or Hunter units fits easier into most spaces.

If you want a specialty brand that MAY be worth some buy up money, I'd look into Austin Air or BlueAir which may have features that make them worth it. Or IQAir, which is super pricey. Some of these actually do additional filtering which may make them worth their crazy prices in some circumstances, but I can't personally attest. Here's a place that carries all of these: Allergy & HEPA Air Purifiers for Cleaner, Healthier Air

Old 11-18-2013, 09:25 AM

369 posts, read 560,897 times
I have a Honeywell in my bedroom. The filter is always full of cat fur when I change it, so I think it's doing well for being a lower-end machine. It's pretty noisy on the higher settings though. In my bedroom it's fine, the white noise helps me sleep, but I'd want something quieter if it was going to be in my living room.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:54 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,768,484 times
Keep up with the grooming. ITA with catsmom21--a change to a wet diet will help with hairballs. Our youngest (age 5) is on an all wet-diet and has never had a hairball or any hacking.

I don't put much stock in "hairball" remedy foods--they just add more fiber, which cats don't need in quantity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats