U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 AM

122 posts, read 268,068 times

Advertisements

Ive posted on this forum before seeking advice on how to get rid of a stray cat terrorizing my parents neighborhood. Things have gotten worse. We called animal services (really didn’t want to but we had no choice.. we did everything we tried looking for his owner but he’s a stray). Animal services never showed up. We called them about 3x and nothing.

He scratched my parents dog’s eye (vet looked at him, he’s fine just has a scratch on his face). We think this may have happened when my parents would leave the dry dog food out for them. The dog might have gone towards it when the cat was eating their food. (parents don’t leave it out anymore. Just give the dogs a small treat to hold em over till they get home).

Before you say to keep the dogs inside my parents are having some work done inside their house so the dog are outside during the day, the dogs got used to the cat but still bark at him which is causing some of the neighbors to complain as well(about dogs barking). The cat also recently made himself at home on the doggy bed my parents have for the dogs when they're outside, now the dogs don’t like sleeping on them anymore (maybe cause of the cat scent? I don’t know). Plus, he's going inside the dog houses they have outside too!!

Also tore up my moms garden and lawn furniture (nothing major on the furniture just a few scratches)

What can we do?! Animal services isnt helping. Rescue/Fosters all full and either way we cant catch this stray. We have asked around and he doesnt belong to anyone. Their neighbors who live in front are the only ones with cats in the neighborhood but deny he belongs to them. As much as he's being a pain, we didnt want to call animal services because we know he'll be put to sleep. (and its not like it matters, they never showed up when we did)

PLEASE HELP!!

Last edited by noelle41; 11-18-2013 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 10:28 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,333,230 times
How can we help? I'm sure someone in the past already mentioned those motion activated sprayers that squirt water when a cat or some other moving object goes by. Cats HATE them and will soon leave the yard they're in.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:26 PM

12,421 posts, read 2,789,959 times
Dogs should have a fenced in area.

You can't get a hav-a-heart trap and put canned cat food in it? The poor cat is probably mean because he has had a cruddy life---dogs and/or people being mean to it. Being hungry would make me mean, too.

Last edited by Mainer61; 11-22-2013 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: added

Old 11-23-2013, 05:03 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,145,890 times
I really don't understand why everyone (1) hate government (2) hates paying taxes and thenexpect them to take care of every little small problem. Animal control, severely underfunded and under staffed is probably out taking care of dangerous dogs and rabid racoons.

Most humane society's will lend you a trap. You probably have to leave a deposit that you will get back when you bring the trap back. Trap the cat and take it in to animal control for destruction yourself. When did people get so helpless?

Old 11-23-2013, 11:28 AM

Let me add that the only other alternative is to give him his own little box shelter, feed him away from your dogs, get him fixed (will probably help his personality quite a bit) and turn him into an outside pet.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:46 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,007,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I really don't understand why everyone (1) hate government (2) hates paying taxes and thenexpect them to take care of every little small problem. Animal control, severely underfunded and under staffed is probably out taking care of dangerous dogs and rabid racoons.

Most humane society's will lend you a trap. You probably have to leave a deposit that you will get back when you bring the trap back. Trap the cat and take it in to animal control for destruction yourself. When did people get so helpless?
When I can stop paying taxes, I'll stop expecting Animal Control to.............control stray animals. The government can't have my money and not respond when I need them.

That said, yes, get a HavAHeart trap, trap the thing, then take it to some kind of cat rescue place.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:48 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,581,673 times
There is no phrase I hate worse than "getting rid of" an animal. I understand the cat is not welcome at your parents home, but I like the idea of getting him his own shelter and food source and letting him live there since he is there so much. The dogs will get used to him, and he may turn into a wonderful pet. That poor cat sounds like he is just trying to survive. He needs help.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
When I can stop paying taxes, I'll stop expecting Animal Control to.............control stray animals. The government can't have my money and not respond when I need them.

That said, yes, get a HavAHeart trap, trap the thing, then take it to some kind of cat rescue place.
The amount of taxes you pay does not equate to have govt services for every little thing at your beck and call and whim. People have to do some things themselves - especially when people are so freaking irresponsible about abandoning unfixed cat - no way the govt can keep up for what we pay in taxes. THey are trying t keep all the irresponsibly pit bulls bred by nasty stupid people for fighting that are a real threat off the street.
Its for big things, like having 312 million peoples sewage magically disappear, water coming out of your tap, fire fighters and cops.
If you think you an pay what you pay for taxes and get REMOTELY the same from private companies..........

I've made some pretty good cat shelters out of a good quality rubbermaid tub, sheet insulation, duct tape. Even better my sister gets used medical grade styrofoam coolers that are like 2" thick and they are great for this. Probably lots of outpatient clinics would give you one. Sit one inside the other, cut hole (hardest part, that rubbermaid is tough to cut), duct tape the hole sides together - voila!

http://mousebreath.com/2012/01/rubbe...-cat-shelters/

Last edited by Giesela; 11-23-2013 at 12:15 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 12:30 PM

13,904 posts, read 11,007,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
The amount of taxes you pay does not equate to have govt services for every little thing at your beck and call and whim. People have to do some things themselves - especially when people are so freaking irresponsible about abandoning unfixed cat - no way the govt can keep up for what we pay in taxes. THey are trying t keep all the irresponsibly pit bulls bred by nasty stupid people for fighting that are a real threat off the street.
Its for big things, like having 312 million peoples sewage magically disappear, water coming out of your tap, fire fighters and cops.
If you think you an pay what you pay for taxes and get REMOTELY the same from private companies..........

I've made some pretty good cat shelters out of a good quality rubbermaid tub, sheet insulation, duct tape. Even better my sister gets used medical grade styrofoam coolers that are like 2" thick and they are great for this. Probably lots of outpatient clinics would give you one. Sit one inside the other, cut hole (hardest part, that rubbermaid is tough to cut), duct tape the hole sides together - voila!

E-rubbermaid Subsidizes DIY Feral Cat Shelters : Cat Lifestyle: Mousebreath Magazine
Obviously, you don't know my pathetic, inept Animal Control. If pit bulls were fighting in my yard and I were to call AC, they might show up in 5 days or so. And they'll actually tell you that when you call. The fools don't know a pitbull from a chichiwawa. And truthfully, I'm far more afraid of nasty, hideous, nipping, tripping, yapping chichiwawas than I'll ever be of pitbulls.

I have had much experience with AC in the last 2 years. They are as worthless as teats on a boar hog. I'll bet your AC isn't any better.

P.S. This thread is about cats and Animal Control. Firefighters, cops, and water have nothing to do with it. DEFLECTION!

Old 11-23-2013, 12:30 PM

637 posts, read 1,011,402 times
Have you tried wolf urine? I've heard that it works to repel cats. It doesn't hurt them. You can order it online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats