Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 01:26 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times

Advertisements

We just got back from our trip. Little Sheba the FIV positive stray is still here and looks OK. She was so happy to see us both.

I think the neighbor's grandchild did remember to feed her. This is so sad. We want to keep her as she's so sweet but our vet says not to expose our 4 cats to her. She needs to go to a home with another FIV cat or as an only cat.

Nashville Cat Rescue wont take her. The local so-called Shelter will kill her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 06:03 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Glad she's still there, and reasonably well. Have you thought about putting a listing on Petfinder and maybe request a local adopter? Surely there's someone not too far away who would be willing to take her.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:12 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Awww, it's such a sad situation. I'm so glad she's still around and is doing OK.

I know how frustrating it is that you can't take her. Catdadx7's suggestion was good ... there MUST be other kitty fans around!!

Old 05-25-2014, 06:53 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
There is no danger to your other cats unless they have violent fights with her. I have a friend who lives in an RV with 9 cats, one FIV+. They are all rescued strays.

However I am not trying to talk you into taking on a fifth cat if you don't want five cats, you know what you are capable of more than anyone else. Just pointing out that the vet is incorrect, and should stop spreading such fallacies.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:43 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
There is no danger to your other cats unless they have violent fights with her. I have a friend who lives in an RV with 9 cats, one FIV+. They are all rescued strays.

However I am not trying to talk you into taking on a fifth cat if you don't want five cats, you know what you are capable of more than anyone else. Just pointing out that the vet is incorrect, and should stop spreading such fallacies.
But catsmom21, you can't know in advance if there will BE violent fights when introducing a new kitty to ones who are established family members. I've introduced several new kitties into my household over the past 6-7 years and it's not always smooth. And even my kitties who've been together for years sometimes get very annoyed with each other and start fighting.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:40 PM

I'm not sure about Petfinder as I fear it's like Craigslist where flippers are always looking for cheap or free cats and dogs to flip for a profit. Has anyone here ever used PF before? Also, she needs dental work done. She has a broken upper fang that's inflamed. The other upper fang is also inflamed. The vet thought she may have stomatitis. I don't see anyone wanting to adopt this cat.

Catsmom21: I can't know what would happen when no one was at home. I've found two of my established cats with injuries so I know they do get into it once in awhile. Nothing serious but the skin was broken and scabs would form. Also, my cats groom each other. If a FIV cat licks another and the other cat has an injury - that cat can get the virus.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I'm not sure about Petfinder as I fear it's like Craigslist where flippers are always looking for cheap or free cats and dogs to flip for a profit. Has anyone here ever used PF before? Also, she needs dental work done. She has a broken upper fang that's inflamed. The other upper fang is also inflamed. The vet thought she may have stomatitis. I don't see anyone wanting to adopt this cat.

Catsmom21: I can't know what would happen when no one was at home. I've found two of my established cats with injuries so I know they do get into it once in awhile. Nothing serious but the skin was broken and scabs would form. Also, my cats groom each other. If a FIV cat licks another and the other cat has an injury - that cat can get the virus.

This is not true. FIV is spread by deep bite wounds or through birth. I am not trying to talk you into anything. But I don't like to see the spread of false information.

Last edited by catsmom21; 05-25-2014 at 02:28 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
This is not true. FIV is spread by deep bite wounds or through birth. I am not trying to talk you into anything. But I don't like to see the spread of false information.
I've been doing some reading. Apparently transmission through birth is also rare. So we're back to deep bites.

By the way, I don't know the cat's history. Was she previously spayed? If so, it's possible she isn't infected, but has only been given the vaccine, which will cause a cat to test positive, falsely.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
I've been doing some reading. Apparently transmission through birth is also rare. So we're back to deep bites.
Deep bites? The virus can't enter by non-deep bites that break the skin? My mother lost a friend (RN in NYC) because an AIDS patient's urine splashed over her seriously chapped hands. The FIV virus I read is very similar to the human HIV virus. Any body fluids can spread it - all it needs is a way to get past the protective skin barrier. I'll look more into this today. We've been very busy unpacking from our trip.

Quote:
By the way, I don't know the cat's history. Was she previously spayed? If so, it's possible she isn't infected, but has only been given the vaccine, which will cause a cat to test positive, falsely.
We don't know her history either but she has a spay scar and never came in heat. The vet said the test to see if it's immunity from a past vaccination would run about $200 with no guarantee it would be 100% accurate. Aside from her possible stomatitis she seems healthy and has a great appetite. She's slowly ridding our garden of moles.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:50 AM

FIV is NOTHING like the Human AIDS virus as far as transmission or longevity.I'm glad you intend to educate yourself about this.

FIV is spread from cat to cat through deep bite wounds. Not a scratch that breaks the skin.

Deep bite wounds where the teeth reach the blood stream. Not from exchange of bodily fluids. Not from sharing dishes or litter boxes. Not from mutual grooming, or even rough play.

Deep bite wounds. The virus lives no more than a second outside of the host. It is not causally transmittable. It must be injected into the blood stream, and that means...deep bite wounds.

FIV is not the equivalent of human AIDS.

Last edited by catsmom21; 05-26-2014 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats