U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,485 times

Advertisements

This morning I was getting ready for work and my three cats (female - Emery, male - Mickey, & male - Tigger) were sitting at the security screen watching the rain. I heard a huge loud cry and then hissing. I separated the boys from Emery. I took emery to the vet she seemed to have gotten injured when Mickey scared her. Emery is fine now and feeling better. However, she will not let either of the two boys near her. I don't know what to do. Emery not confined to the living room and Mickey & Tigger are confined to the bedroom. I am moving in a couple of months and can not have the cats not getting along. this is tearing me apart. Please help!!! What do I do to get Emery to love the boys again? They were best of friends. They played, ate, and slept together. The worst part is the boys keep crying for Emery. The boys don't understand why she growls and hisses at them. The try to approach her but she won't let them get close at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 04:03 PM

5,876 posts, read 11,760,706 times
It will take time for Emery to get over the trauma, that's all. This only happened today? Likely something outside startled them, which caused the fight in the first place (that is called displaced aggression). Then, she was hurt, and had to go to the vet. That's a lot for a cat to cope with.

Put Emery in the room that can be closed off, instead of the two boys. She can relax in there and settle down. Over the next few days, keep them separate, but change out who gets kept in the bedroom, and who gets the rest of the house, periodically.

Do some other form of scent exchanges too, by taking a pillow case you have slept on for a while, or a pajama shirt. Rub it on the boys, then put it in the room with Emery, (after rubbing it on her) to exchange smells, so she can start to remember who they are. After a week or so, do a slow introduction and see how they all do.

I also recommend installing a feliway plug in diffuser if you can get one. This will help with the current issue, and when you move, it will help them adjust there.

Remember that cats are affected by human stress and emotion, so stay calm and cheerful and keep things as normal as possible, aside from the separation.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,485 times
Thank you for the advised. What is a feliway plug in diffuser? How does that help?

Old 11-21-2013, 04:37 PM

5,876 posts, read 11,760,706 times
What is Feliway?

It helps cats feel settled in their environments. It is often used for stressful situations such as a new cat (or other pet) moving, or the type of issue you are having.

I keep a feliway plug in handy, for stressful times. It may help your gang.

Another option, especially for Emery, is Rescue Remedy, a calming tincture made for pets (and humans too)

Don't worry, it will be okay. It may take some time, though. Stay calm, and treat the situation as though you have a new cat (Emery) in the house.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:04 PM

1,756 posts, read 3,044,297 times
How old are they? Are they littermates, or not? My cousin the vet says that males often go through a belligerant phase around age 2.5 - 3 or so. The stray that I took in is about 3 years old now and is periodically beating the tar out my my older cats, who are 11. We put the 3yr old on Prozac at his recommendation, but it's too soon to see any changes.

You can buy a large cage like the Midwest Homes for Pets "cat playpen" and pen up one or two cats in there to separate them. My female cat actually preferred to hang out in the cat playpen by herself, with the door open, and didn't mind being in there at all. She'd get up on the bench and lounge, and she didn't need to worry about being attacked. Unfortunately, I had to start penning up 3yr old in there to give the other cats some peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or