U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,609,283 times

Advertisements

In psych we agree that talking to yourself is not an issue - it's having a conversation or hearing someone that isn't there that is cause for concern. I'm beginning to wonder if Joe has an invisible feline friend. He frequently will be alone in another room, and basically talk to himself. He is usually sitting on a bed chatting away as if there's another cat or human there with him. Sometimes he'll have a toy nearby as if he's ready to play. If I respond he continues as if we're having a conversation and goes on longer, if I ignore it he continues for several minutes. He appears alert and engaged when he does it, he looks and sounds quite silly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 01:34 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,338,787 times
My Zebulon did that when he was a kitten. He kind of outgrew it. It would make us laugh because he made all kind of sounds and didn't even sound like a cat much of the time. The other cats ignored it. We never did know why he did this. He rarely talks to himself anymore.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:55 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 9 days ago)

14,423 posts, read 16,699,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
In psych we agree that talking to yourself is not an issue - it's having a conversation or hearing someone that isn't there that is cause for concern. I'm beginning to wonder if Joe has an invisible feline friend. He frequently will be alone in another room, and basically talk to himself. He is usually sitting on a bed chatting away as if there's another cat or human there with him. Sometimes he'll have a toy nearby as if he's ready to play. If I respond he continues as if we're having a conversation and goes on longer, if I ignore it he continues for several minutes. He appears alert and engaged when he does it, he looks and sounds quite silly.
Maybe he has a cat spirit as a friend. Cats are quite preceptive.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:19 AM

580 posts, read 1,141,159 times
Both of our girls do that on a regular basis, we know when Smoke does it that she's about to come flying down the hallway sideways doing her Halloween act, her voice is very distinctive and she talks a lot. Ash does it in the kitchen, not sure why, otherwise she basically is a squeaker.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:47 AM

They all have funny habits, just like people This one cracks me up.

Scooter likes to run in front of me if I'm headed to an area where there's a throw rug so he can fall down, very dramatic! and roll on his back.

Orion likes to parade on the bathroom sink and will often engage me in the mirror, I was unnerved the first time he did it. I didn't realize he knew he could see me via reflection but sure enough he does! He'll talk to me there too as he's a great communicator, though I think he believes I'm a plank in that department, LOL

Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 AM

369 posts, read 561,031 times
Neptune does that. He'll walk down the hallway talking to himself, and go in empty rooms and start meowing. I have a few theories about it. He may just be a very chatty kitty, or maybe it's because he used to live in a house with 9 of his siblings, so he's trying to make up for the relative silence here, or maybe he wants me or Toby to follow him. Sometimes when he's meowing in the kitchen I think it's that, he's asking to go explore in the cupboards or some other space he's not allowed. But sometimes he's meowing constantly and getting really loud and I have to ask him to chill out so he doesn't bother the neighbors. The funny part is he usually listens and quiets down or stops meowing.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 AM

Funny cats. I'd think there was something wrong but Joe's fine - er, physically that is! He buzzes around like a balloon that you let go of..bzzzzzzzzzt! He just likes to talk to himself, or something. I find it endearing and amusing, he never does it at night fortunately, only when I'm up and about. He doesn't hesitate to seek affection either, he'll come and ask to get in my lap for a cuddle.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:51 PM

7,608 posts, read 5,114,931 times
My ladycat Gypsy talks to the walls. She'll get up on the back of a chair, or on a cabinet or other furniture, and look up at the wall and/or the ceiling and meow over and over again. The tone and loudness of her meow will change as she looks back and forth along the wall. If I call her name or say anything to her she'll stop and give a look like "don't interrupt me, I'm busy", then go back to talking to the wall. She does this in all rooms in the house and many different locations, and has done it since she was about 2 years old (she's 11 now). I've never been able to figure out what she's doing or why. It's both cute and entertaining, and a little disturbing at the same time.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:48 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,475,967 times
Jasper! He has constant commentary, all the time. He will walk into rooms, and start meowing, even when no one is there. He wakes up at night, and makes these loud meow wails, for no reason, but to hear the echo? I don't know.

Believe me, until you own a Bengal, you have no clue about talkative cats! This one is non stop! He meows all the time, people come over, and ask me, "Does he meow like that ALL the time? He is SO loud!". It was annoying in the beginning, but now I tune it out. He is a good cat for SO, who is blind and deaf, because even blind and deaf, you can't miss Jasper!

Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 AM

31,212 posts, read 57,343,818 times
Checkers will meow at nothing as well. Sometimes he's quite dramatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Scooter likes to run in front of me if I'm headed to an area where there's a throw rug so he can fall down, very dramatic! and roll on his back.
Checkers likes to run full-tilt toward a throw rug, and then skid across the room on it. Someday I'll catch him in the act when I have a camera in my hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or