Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:11 AM

733 posts, read 1,748,968 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, would there be any reason to NOT leave out two different cat foods for your cat that way they have a choice? Maybe for some reason, they wouldn't be in the mood for Iams but they would be in the mood for Purina One?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times
Well this is assuming you are leaving out dry kibble which time and time again we have discussed on this forum is not healthy for cats.

Most of us feed healthy no grain wet food and most cats won't touch stale wet food.
I have two cats and each one has different food- one is rx. We usually have to sit right there to watch they don't mosey on over to the bubba's dish. Sometimes they sneak when we turn our backs and so they end up with two different foods. Doesn't seem to make much difference as long as Oscar eats mostly his RX before sneaking a bite or two of Langley's food.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:25 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,222,765 times
Many here disagree but I give my guys both wet and dry food. I give them a variety of wet food, they seem to think one is ambrosia today and disdain it tomorrow then they adore it a day or two later.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:32 AM

369 posts, read 754,020 times
My cats get wet food in the morning and kibble in the evening. I put out two kinds of kibble. One is their absolute favorite, they always eat it first, but it has rice in it so the second one is always a grain-free kibble. I worry that if I only put out their favorite they'd eventually get tired of it. Plus I've read that they're less likely to develop food allergies if they're not being fed the same food all the time.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 AM

41,700 posts, read 74,634,436 times
I don't put out two different kinds of food at once, but I do mix it up between flavors and brands.

Their kibble is grain-free and usually chicken flavored, and I use several different brands they like. Their wet food is various brands, and various flavors; they don't like to get the same wet food every day.

Very persnickety little cats, they are.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 PM

306 posts, read 414,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Many here disagree but I give my guys both wet and dry food. I give them a variety of wet food, they seem to think one is ambrosia today and disdain it tomorrow then they adore it a day or two later.
yep mine get mostly wet but I do leave a small amount of dry scattered on the kitchen floor while I am at work. That way at least they have to "hunt" for it. It's always gone when I get home and they are always ready for their wet food by then

Old 11-25-2013, 04:33 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,222,765 times
Never thought of making them hunt for it, good idea. I'll have to hide it in places the dog can't get to but I think that's doable - their paws are more flexible and I can put it up where the dogs can't reach. Thanks for the inspiration

Old 11-25-2013, 05:07 PM

733 posts, read 1,748,968 times
Unfortunately, my kitten doesn't react well to wet foods, so I only give that as a treat once or twice a week. Typically I stick with dry foods, though it's usually Iams which has kept our cats healthy throughout their lives. I guess everyone has their own opinion. Never heard about the whole allergies thing. I just thought about giving her a second option last night and maybe I'll continue doing so. I feel like it'd be the same as us humans. There are certain foods that I love, but I wouldn't want to eat the same exact thin every day.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:16 PM

306 posts, read 414,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
Unfortunately, my kitten doesn't react well to wet foods, so I only give that as a treat once or twice a week. Typically I stick with dry foods, though it's usually Iams which has kept our cats healthy throughout their lives. I guess everyone has their own opinion. Never heard about the whole allergies thing. I just thought about giving her a second option last night and maybe I'll continue doing so. I feel like it'd be the same as us humans. There are certain foods that I love, but I wouldn't want to eat the same exact thin every day.
Mine do like variety whether wet or dry

Old 11-25-2013, 05:25 PM

15,853 posts, read 34,997,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
Just out of curiosity, would there be any reason to NOT leave out two different cat foods for your cat that way they have a choice? Maybe for some reason, they wouldn't be in the mood for Iams but they would be in the mood for Purina One?
My cats have the choice between the "very healthy" (and expensive) "Taste of the Wild" which I purchase at the pet store for about $17. They also have Purina One - for Indoor Cats, which I consider to be horrible "junk food" type cat food, which I purchase at the grocery store for about $8. They eat the junk food cat food three times faster than the food that is good for them. Go figure.

Sometimes I will also pick up some free samples from the pet store and throw them in another bowl for them. So that makes three different choices.

They also get a small can of moist food split three ways when I come home from work at night.

So, obviously, I see no harm in it.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats