U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,770,754 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

DH and I just had an experience we hope you never have--our oldest cat slipped out of the house and went missing. After 11 days, I found him in another neighborhood. (He had a complete vet check/bloodwork and, outside of being very thin, is fine.)

I've compiled information based on all the tips and suggestions we received. I hope you never need this, but want it available anyway. IMO I think contacting neighbors face to face is what made the difference. It was a neighbor who called us, seeing him run across a busy street. We would have never known to search that neighborhood otherwise.

~Tails from the Foster Kittens~: What I know - Finding a lost cat - Guest Post

Rene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:15 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,942,054 times
What a joy and relief to know there was a happy ending!
My dear departed Weasie was notorious throughout her life for her blatant scamming. Sometimes right in front of me, she'd accost strangers she sensed were cat-friendly and take out her sad violin. That cat racked up more one-night stands than I ever have. And that was with ID tags.
The point about chatting up neighbors one-on-one was a good one, but that's what prompted me to add this. People such as I who live in densely-populated areas with a high resident turnover don't have the option to go around door-knocking. Once, despite having had at the time a collar with her name and our phone number written on it, Weasie vanished for three weeks. Calls to all the shelters and animal-control offices in the area had gone for naught. Flyers on utility poles also turned up no useful leads. It was only after I printed out over 200 notices and put one in every single mailbox inside a four-block radius did she and I get reconnected. My point is that although this episode took place in 1993, I'd go the same route today if one of my current "grrrlz" disappeared for very long. (They're microchipped, but that only goes so far sometimes.) No amount of phone calls, Internet postings on craigslist etc, can substitute for direct communication of some kind. So if it's not feasible to canvass the neighborhood in person I can't suggest strongly enough to make a pile of notices and hit every single mailbox.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:42 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,720,208 times
Thanks for posting!!

I don't know what I would do if one of mine went missing! I don't think I could eat or sleep!

I'm so happy that Tucker is back home safe and sound!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:04 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,770,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
It was only after I printed out over 200 notices and put one in every single mailbox inside a four-block radius did she and I get reconnected. My point is that although this episode took place in 1993, I'd go the same route today if one of my current "grrrlz" disappeared for very long. (They're microchipped, but that only goes so far sometimes.) No amount of phone calls, Internet postings on craigslist etc, can substitute for direct communication of some kind. So if it's not feasible to canvass the neighborhood in person I can't suggest strongly enough to make a pile of notices and hit every single mailbox.
Yes, ITA! In fact, one neighbor couple was a great help in spreading the word and talking to other people in our neighborhood. While internet postings are one piece of the puzzle, foot searching and reaching out to neighbors is critical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats