U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:35 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post

Cats are survivors. It may not be happy but it will survive.
Cats, being living creatures, do not fall into the "it" category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,978,155 times
Two nights are fine. Three max. You can leave multiple litter pans so when one gets too dirty, the cat will use the other. Cats don't usually like dirty litter boxes.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:01 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,134,962 times
We regularly did three days without attention to the cats. We use an auto litter box, two water dispensers, a dry feeder, and a wet one which is automatic.

Longer than three days we had some one look in. Cats are not to be trusted too far. After a few days they become devilishly creative. Nowadays I think I would rig a wifi camera so I could check up on them.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:10 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,155,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Cats, being living creatures, do not fall into the "it" category.
When you don't know whether the OP's cat is male or female IT automatically becomes an IT.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:19 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,191,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
Leave them with your local Chinese restaurant. They will cook... I mean take good care of it.
I know dogs disappear in Chinatown. But cats too? Geeeez.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My friend leaves her two cats all the time. She just makes sure there is lots of food out and the litter box is cleaned right before she leaves. She said the worst thing she has ever come home to was a down curtain rod. Cat's a really good at caring for themselves. You could leave the TV on so he feels like someone is there.
Good idea. But i would feel unease leaving an electric apparatus on unattended while i'm gone. Plenty of apartment fires break out due to TV sets.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:20 PM

15,569 posts, read 9,642,463 times
Cats are very self reliant and are not like leaving a dog when you go away for a while. We just returned from a 5 day trip and our cats were fine at home by themselves. We put down WAY more food than they could eat in that time, tons of water in bowls, and a few more litter boxes for them to use. We go away every Thanksgiving and have been doing that for 30 years and setting up the cats the same way.

When we got home tonight they were happy to see us, especially Lucky, he couldn't get enough of sitting on my lap and rubbing his head against me. Some people might think that is uncaring but they had everything they would have had with us home except for us.

Don

Old 12-01-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Cats are very self reliant and are not like leaving a dog when you go away for a while. We just returned from a 5 day trip and our cats were fine at home by themselves. We put down WAY more food than they could eat in that time, tons of water in bowls, and a few more litter boxes for them to use. We go away every Thanksgiving and have been doing that for 30 years and setting up the cats the same way.

When we got home tonight they were happy to see us, especially Lucky, he couldn't get enough of sitting on my lap and rubbing his head against me. Some people might think that is uncaring but they had everything they would have had with us home except for us.

Don
So true. Most hound dogs would go crazy in a situation like this. But not cats. Cats are more independent and also slightly mysterious creatures.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 AM

6,719 posts, read 11,734,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
So true. Most hound dogs would go crazy in a situation like this. But not cats. Cats are more independent and also slightly mysterious creatures.
"Slightly"?

When I had just 2 kitties I would leave them alone a couple of times a year for up to 4 days ... just left extra food, extra water, and several extra litter boxes. Now that I have many more kitties, I think 3 days would be my limit.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM

2,050 posts, read 1,762,143 times
I will go against the grain and say that DH and I would never leave our cats unattended for more than 24 hours. We feed wet food (and one of our cats is on several medications), making it impossible to go away for days.

A number of years ago, I petsit for a co-worker's cats. Within 24 hours of them leaving town, one of the cats developed a nasty eye infection. I took the cat to their vets and had him treated (the co-worker paid via the phone). You just never know what could happen.

If you are new in town, ask your vet or co-workers who they use for their pets. Sometimes, vets have techs or employees who sit on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats