U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:48 AM

2,662 posts, read 5,146,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda1 View Post
I just moved to NYC with my loving, beautiful and funny cat IN the past, I used to leave him with my roommate whenever I had to travel.. I live by myself now in the city and just learned I have to travel but cant take him with me.. I dont know many people in Manhattan who can take care of him for 5 days, not sure how to do this? Any suggestions?

Thank you very much ad happy holidays!
If you can't find anyone you trust, see if you can hire a pet siting service. If not, leave him enough food for days, enough litter LOTS of water and a shirt with your scent on it.

Last edited by Gil3; 12-02-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 10:56 AM

251 posts, read 445,995 times
Also try calling a nearby vet's office--they can often refer you to pet sitters that they know, as opposed to picking a name off of Yelp.

I've left my cat for 3 days, 2 nights with 2 bowls of water as well as a "water cooler" from Petco plus a full bowl of dry food and a very clean litter box.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:42 AM

2,662 posts, read 5,146,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I will go against the grain and say that DH and I would never leave our cats unattended for more than 24 hours. We feed wet food (and one of our cats is on several medications), making it impossible to go away for days.

A number of years ago, I petsit for a co-worker's cats. Within 24 hours of them leaving town, one of the cats developed a nasty eye infection. I took the cat to their vets and had him treated (the co-worker paid via the phone). You just never know what could happen.

If you are new in town, ask your vet or co-workers who they use for their pets. Sometimes, vets have techs or employees who sit on the side.
Great idea

Old 12-02-2013, 11:55 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,613,240 times
If I had to leave my cat I wouldn't do it for more than 3 days either - I'd not want to go that long, 2 would be my limit but I'm on the cautious side. I'd hire a sitting service too, I'd consider boarding as a very last resort. I'd consider things like ratings, ask for vet referrals, insurance and if the service is bonded. You want to be careful with both your fur friend and your home.

I was caught out of town overnight due to a medical emergency when I was new to the area and new to my job. I had no one to care for my fur friends so it was a real wake up call for me. I quickly found a roommate who adored cats and liked my dog. I also sought out colleagues who would be willing to care for them in my absence (my supervisor! and when she went out of town I cared for her crew, including a tortoise! what?! LOL)

Hope you find the purrfect person to care for your furfriend.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:15 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,099,695 times
There have been earlier threads on this popular topic should the OP wish to do a search. My earlier comments still are valid, and have worked out fine. An alternative to either leaving a cat alone, or finding a person to come in, is to board your pet at a local vet or pet clinic. Preferred is one that is cat exclusive. A web search or a few phone calls should find what you need.
www.city-data.com/forum/cats/934480-leaving-cat-alone-2.html

Old 12-02-2013, 02:27 PM

3,445 posts, read 4,842,555 times
I left my two cats for 5 days over Thanksgiving. left them plenty of water and loads of clean litter in several litter bins.

Must have forgot to refill the auto food dispenser.

They were a tad hungry when I got home.

They survived.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:52 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,522,852 times
I learned last summer, when SO had a medical emergency when we were away, how valuable and grateful I was that Jasper was at boarding. I would have been a wreck if I had to worry about Jasper home alone. I just called the clinic and told them I would pick him up a few days later. No problem.

You can't plan on emergencies. But this was a lifesaver. Boarding is cheap price for peace of mind .

Old 12-02-2013, 04:55 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,937,537 times
I would leave my cats alone with dry food out in different areas of the house and lots of water bowls out as well than have someone come in my home.
Cats are not like dogs, they do not need constant attention, they need food, water, and litter.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:56 PM

15,746 posts, read 9,735,529 times
I am not a fan of boarding. It puts the kitty in an unfamiliar environment, whereas they can be in their own home and surroundings if you leave them home. Ours did just great for this 5 days and their only complaint was that no one was there to give them treats every day.

Don

Old 12-03-2013, 12:16 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,613,240 times
When I was growing up we left our cat alone for the weekend and while we went on vacation, for a week I'm guessing. Our neighbor cared for him during the longer periods and when we returned he was so put out he wouldn't interact with my mother who he usually adored, he would sit on her lap and put his paw through the newspaper to get her attention. He also took her nightgown and pooped on it a few times, I guess he told her! I'm unsure if it was just an expression of displeasure of having been without his human (my mom) or lack of company but it's something to consider when leaving kitties alone for extended periods.

I'd be concerned about problems that might occur without any human contact for an extended time, who knows what a bored and possibly frightened kitty might do. They might feel abandoned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats