U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:24 PM

31,393 posts, read 57,642,103 times

Advertisements

My cats try to scratch their claws on the tree trunk, but that's it as far as mayhem goes. Sometimes they'll bat an ornament around, but I put unbreakable ornaments only on the bottom two feet of the tree. Mostly they view the tree as something to lounge under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 08:56 PM

19,607 posts, read 33,026,956 times
Update - all she does is sleep on the tree skirt and lie down on it. That's her new spot - under the tree. She hasn't messed with it or anything. Thanks to all who replied.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 AM

709 posts, read 1,949,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Update - all she does is sleep on the tree skirt and lie down on it. That's her new spot - under the tree. She hasn't messed with it or anything. Thanks to all who replied.
Perfect! Glad there was no incident. Like I said, that is all mine does, try to turn the tree skirt white.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,621,168 times
My cats had no interest in the tree either, it was our chocolate lab who was the problem. He'd steal the ornaments so we haven't had a tree in 8 years. He's gone but it's not only too sad we have a puppy who might think it's a big snack.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:48 PM

11,892 posts, read 16,614,329 times
DH fastens the tree to the ceiling with trip wire. The only one who broke ornaments so far was me:>( Of course they have to inspect everything thoroughly.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:21 PM

4,635 posts, read 7,270,273 times
I just brought the tree into the house. Both were busy investigating it while it lay on its side in the kitchen.

Now that it is in the stand and in the living room, they are ignoring it.

Hope it keeps up!

Old 12-08-2013, 08:45 PM

36,438 posts, read 41,917,515 times

Old 12-09-2013, 01:02 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,186,162 times
I've had cats that completely ignore the holiday decor. Others wreak serious havoc. The only way you will ever know is to go for it and adapt!

Old 12-09-2013, 04:15 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,166,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Sure. Use unbreakable ornaments, no tinsel or garland, and if it is a real tree don't let her chew on the needles or drink the water, because pine resin is toxic to cats.

Spraying water on a cat doesn't really teach her anything you know. It just teaches her to avoid something while you are there to spray water on her. When you aren't there she's doing it anyway.
I've decided to give up on the tree, this year, along with curtains, towels on the towel rack, shoelaces etc.

I agree with Catsmom about using a spray bottle of water, and will even go so far as to say that I'm ashamed I ever tried using it to stop Tiger from yowling. He HATED ME. Not the water or the bottle. Then he was afraid of me. All in less than 30 minutes.

We are good now, but I Never should have listened to the advice to use a water bottle, it felt wrong. What if Tiger never trusted me again? It took weeks for him to really trust me again.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 AM

36,438 posts, read 41,917,515 times
I've had a completely different experience with water bottle. Both cats constantly bug the stew out of me when I'm working at my desk. I let them have one corner to snuggle up so they can be close but when they march back and forth in front on the monitor I can't stand it. I keep s mall water bottle on the desk and when they see me reach for it they hop down. Sometimes I actually spray them but not usually. And believe me it hasn't dented our relationship one little bit. I can get some work done...until they are up in my face again.

Now I don't think I used it for furniture. We just made sure they had plenty of towers and scratching posts around. They are 11 years old and they haven't touched one piece of furniture since they were little kittens. Then they ruined the back of a chair in the nursery when they knew I wouldn't yell at them while giving the babies their bottles. They tore the heck out of that chair but it was more playing up and down than actually clawing the chair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats