U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 06:55 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,547,889 times

Advertisements

My youngest really took a toll on our tree the first two years, to the extent that we threw it out in January. He had bent and ruined some of the branches. I wanted to go with a tabletop tree this year, but got outvoted and we got a new tree. As in previous years, we've left it undecorated at first to see how it goes. He is leaving it strictly alone during the day, which is a big improvement. Last year he couldn't help himself, even if we were right there. But the first two nights the new tree was up, it ended up on its side during the night. Last night before bed, I put two wooden spoons, a lightweight metal pie pan, and some metal tongs among the branches. I rested a muffin pan against the branches on the floor. It's on a wood floor, so these things will make noise when they fall. This morning the muffin and pie pan were on the floor, but the tree was still standing and looks fine. Success? I'm not sure, but maybe.

Last edited by subject2change; 12-10-2013 at 07:04 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 06:58 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Our other cat who crossed over a few years ago slept in the tree.
The current cats we have sleep under the tree but don't sleep in it.
The ornaments are not that interesting to them and they really
only care about the tree skirt being nice and warm and cozy.
The dog sleeps under the tree as well.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times

Old 12-13-2013, 07:31 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
I love the gray kitty with the white mustache. How beautiful !

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=282476475240522

Old 12-16-2013, 02:38 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
I was concerned about what Nimbus would do, this is our first Christmas with him. I screwed our tree stand to a big piece of thick plywood to help the tree be more stable. The tree I bought was HUMONGOUS...over 8' high. It's a noble fir. Very dense, lots of poky twigs and prickly needles. Nimbus showed no interest in trying to climb in it (not surprising) but he did lurk underneath of it and nibbled on the twigs (but not the needles) a bit. I looked it up in the ASPCA database of toxic plants and it's not in there; I know that many pines are toxic but apparently firs not so much. Certainly if he ate a big enough bit of twig, or sharp needles, they could cause physical harm in his gut...but I don't think he's doing that.

One thing I'm definitely doing, is placing the ornaments I normally use, the feathery tailed birds, up high where he probably won't notice them. If I use them at all...right now it's just lights and an angel on top.

I did make sure to cover the base securely with a thick towel to keep him out of the water. I'm using an additive they recommended with the tree, and I am sure it would be unhealthy, and probably quite poisonous, for him to consume it. I'm taking no chances with that.

So far the biggest impression kitty seems to have about our tree is that it makes a fine new spot for lurking and hiding...

Old 12-16-2013, 02:50 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
My cats are going to hate me this Christmas - I put up a small tree on a table. Nothing for them to lounge under or scratch their claws on. Poor deprived babies ...

Old 12-17-2013, 08:03 AM

716 posts, read 964,099 times
We are having our first Christmas in our new house with our kitten. He is 7 1/2 months. We had bought a big artificial tree (about 7.5 feet) last year in our old place. No cat.

This year, we didn't have the thing up for more then 30 seconds and he climbed inside of it and tried to chew the branches.

We opted to get a smaller, table top tree this year, until he is out of his kitty phase. Then we'll play it by ear. We might even use some of the tips in this thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:54 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,526,733 times
I hate to say anything, but Charlie has been fine with the tree. I was sure he would climb to the top. Last year all KK did was nibble at the lower branches and rub his cheeks on them, and that is all either of them are doing this year.

I was very surprised!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,326,380 times
This year we're down in FL in our RV for the holidays. We have a small tabletop Xmas tree. All four cats are ignoring it. All are now adults. There is no tinsel to choke on and all the ornaments are break resistant plastic - just in case.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,547,889 times
Default *invention opportunity*

Someone needs to make a Christmas tree for cat owners with a built in alarm (that could be turned off and on). If the tree was jostled it would woot! woot! I'm way too lazy to pursue this myself, so you are free to use this idea and make a bundle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats