U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 09:56 AM

19,155 posts, read 32,695,448 times

Advertisements

This is my first Christmas with a cat in the house - we got her in February.

I'm worried she'll mess with the ornaments/blinking lights! Usually if I want her to shoo I'll spray water at her from a spray bottle but I don't want to do that too close to the tree! Any advice to keep her off the tree if she starts messing with it?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 10:12 AM

5,876 posts, read 11,756,166 times
Sure. Use unbreakable ornaments, no tinsel or garland, and if it is a real tree don't let her chew on the needles or drink the water, because pine resin is toxic to cats.

Spraying water on a cat doesn't really teach her anything you know. It just teaches her to avoid something while you are there to spray water on her. When you aren't there she's doing it anyway.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:07 AM

19,155 posts, read 32,695,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Sure. Use unbreakable ornaments, no tinsel or garland, and if it is a real tree don't let her chew on the needles or drink the water, because pine resin is toxic to cats.

Spraying water on a cat doesn't really teach her anything you know. It just teaches her to avoid something while you are there to spray water on her. When you aren't there she's doing it anyway.
She loves sitting on my lap - but sometimes I cant be bothered so that's what I primarily use the spray bottle for - thanks for the tips!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-01-2013, 11:26 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,532,606 times
I have heard they do not like citrus.

3 Ways to Make Homemade Cat Repellent - wikiHow

I am going to spray the Eucalyptus and lemon one on my artificial tree.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:59 AM

5,876 posts, read 11,756,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
She loves sitting on my lap - but sometimes I cant be bothered so that's what I primarily use the spray bottle for - thanks for the tips!
My post was sincere, I don't bother with sarcasm.. Sometimes when you have a pet you have to make a few sacrifices, which can mean unbreakable ornaments on the tree and a grating over the water reservoir to keep the cat from drinking it. And anchor the tree to the wall somehow, but not with invisible fishing wire, which can cause serious injury.

If the cat wants to climb the tree or bat at ornaments, she is going to do it. Making it safe for her is a reasonable solution.

And as I said, spraying a cat to deter unwanted behavior only works while you are there to spray the water. Why you felt the need to make a snarky remark is beyond me.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:06 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,137,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
How do you know? Just wondering. It would seem that since owners are around all the time and cats only get sprayed when doing Bad Things, they would tend to associate the spray with Bad Things, rather than with owners. The use of treats to reward postive behavior during training would seem to be just the same thing in reverse. Treats become associated with positive behaviors in that case, rather than an unpleasant watering being associated with negative behaviors.

Meanwhile, we have had cut real trees with real lights and glass ornaments with many cats for many years. They eat the tinsel. They knock down any low-hanging ornaments. They have climbed the tree a few times, but only once brought about a disastrous toppling. This year however, we have three new kittens, one of which is a very curious and active female toyger. We will get an artificial tree this year and some new ornaments that we don't care about. Maybe back to normal again next year. Ordinarily, the tree would be anchored to a sturdy nearby doorknob using green garden twine. We'll see if that's necessary this year. There are abundant sources of water in the house and it would be difficult to drink from the tree holder with its network of heavy buttresses and bolts, but I don't think we'll need to consider that this year in any case.

Last edited by fairlaker; 12-01-2013 at 12:38 PM..

Old 12-01-2013, 12:11 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,844,257 times
I've never had a cat brake an ornament - but then, my flooring is carpet - and I know wood flooring is more popular these days. And, though I've always had cat(s) - I guess I haven't had kitten and Christmas tree at same time. That could be a whole other story! (Is she a kitten?)

Old 12-01-2013, 12:20 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,509,501 times
Let Iris and Fern show you what happens to a Xmas tree:

A Cats Christmas

Old 12-01-2013, 01:16 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,645,868 times
I guarantee , if you put up a christmas tree the cats will discover and play in it no matter what you do...unless you can put it in a room which can be closed off from the rest of the house.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:20 PM

4,787 posts, read 8,761,139 times
Oh, the adventures with the cats and the Christmas trees. Our tree is deliberately set into a corner of a room where we can wire two sides of it into the woodwork of the adjacent windows so the cats can't topple it.

Only non- breakable ornaments are used. ( learned the hard way decades ago not to use heirlooms with cats and hardwood floors- yikes ! )

Now we only use an artificial tree with built in lights. This from having a cat who climbed into a tree and someone got herself wrapped about light strings and nearly strangled. Good thing we were quick to notice the cat up there.

Takes some planning to co-exist with cats and trees -lol. The cats are convinced the tree is just some sort of giant toy apparatus put there especially for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats