U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 06:55 PM

7 posts, read 8,000 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm hoping some of the fine cat folks here have had experience w radioactive iodine treatment for a cat ..?
I'm just starting to look into it (we live in northern Oregon) as one of my vets mentioned it yesterday.
I'd love to know if it's been successful for your cat. Thanks for any feedback!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 04:02 AM

5,876 posts, read 11,756,166 times
While you are waiting for responses, there is a lot of shared information in this thread:

Radioactive Iodine Therapy for Hyperthyroid

Old 12-05-2013, 07:59 AM

9,918 posts, read 19,692,855 times
I don't have personal experience with the radioiodine treatment, but I did care for a cat with hyperthyroid and chose not to do the radioiodine. I could get the methimazole cheap and at least originally she readily took it in pill pockets, and her levels came back to normal easily.

But if I had it to do over again I would do the radioiodine. We didn't ever discuss it at the vet but just with what I experienced it seems like it would have been a better choice.

Amber lived around 4 years after her hyperthyroid diagnosis and did fine with methimazole (no side effects). But if I added up the costs and hassle of those years, especially her last few months when we were also trying to treat her for kidney disease symptoms, and the few months before that when she stopped eating pill pockets, I think it would all be worth it. Also given that she had a significant heart condition when she died (most likely died from a sudden heart related issue), I wonder if having the treatment may have lessened the effect over the years as hyperthyroid is known to be hard on the heart.

Factors to consider are age of the cat and any other contraindications (some other conditions may mean they would recommend you not get the treatment). Some people dismiss the age of the cat factor though. Amber was 13 and after my experience I wouldn't hesitate to treat a 13 or so year old cat. Some people have treated 18+ year old cats. It seems like with higher age there might be diminishing returns of an expensive procedure, but not everyone's mental calculation works that way. My personal thoughts now would be if there's a reasonable chance that the cat will live another 3+ years at least with the thyroid under control, I would likely choose to have the iodine treatment. And if problems with the meds, I might also consider the treatment.

I wish you well with your kitty. Hyperthyroid generally has a good prognosis whether you choose the radioiodine or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or