U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,545,142 times

Advertisements

I imagine you have already done what you are going to but I have always had much better luck and control over a cat while using the kitchen sink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 07:44 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,044,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I imagine you have already done what you are going to but I have always had much better luck and control over a cat while using the kitchen sink.
I haven't done it yet. You give me too much credit for being efficient. When she was a smaller kitten, I would run water over her paws in the bathroom sink sometimes. Getting a little Tupperware container with water and dipping her paws worked well too. She's more ornery now that she's older.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:19 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,137,964 times
From my experience, some cats will have at least some tolerance for being bathed. They may not be at all happy about it, but they'll get through it okay, then sit there licking and looking all hurt and bedraggled and miserable until they dry off. But bathing is simply impossible with other cats, so there's no sense even trying. The risk of cat or human injury is too great. This is what vets are for. Thankfully, there are only a few reasons to give a cat a bath at all, but when those arise, the professional rather than the emotional person is apt to do a better job.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:17 AM

4,627 posts, read 7,210,684 times
You can try hydrogen peroxide on a washcloth.

My Lily is all white and well.. sometimes I forget I'm wearing makeup.........

Old 12-07-2013, 04:15 AM

168 posts, read 213,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Bobbles got into the unfinished part of our attic a week ago. She must have gotten into the walls of the house because she came out of the attic looking like she had been in a chimney. It was late in the evening, and I was packing to move my son out of state before the snowstorm hit. I took a damp washcloth and wiped her down. I tried scrubbing her boots and knee highs, but they didn't come clean. I had to leave town with her dirt. When I returned, it wasn't as bad but her white boots and knee highs are dingy off-grey/off-white. I have no clue how to give her a real bath since she has her claws. She's going to FREAK!
Invest in a cat harness if you suspect your cat will be a struggler.
Choose a warm room that has a door you can close to prevent escape.
Put several large bath towels next to the tub along with a hairdryer and pet carrier lined with a towel, door open and ready to receive a wet cat.
Select a shampoo specifically formulated for felines. Be careful to avoid any that contain tea tree oil, which is toxic. If you are bathing for fleas, some shampoos are applied to a dry coat and must stay in for several minutes before rinsing.

Wash the animal in a large tub with access to warm running water. A handheld showerhead type sprayer is best as it emits a gentle “rain” and will be less threatening. It's also very convenient for rinsing undersides and other hard-to-reach places.
Place the cat in the tub and hold her in place by the scruff or harness. Talk soothingly and pet her before turning on the water.
Using lukewarm water and shampoo, carefully wash the cat in a matter-of-fact manner. Cats can pick up on stress, so if you are worried they will be as well and be more apt to put up a fight.

When washing is over, towel-dry the animal as best you can. Then proceed to more thorough drying to avoid the animal becoming chilled (which is life-threatening for kittens).
Many cats are afraid of hairdryers. If your pet is one of these, confine the wet cat to the carrier and carefully aim the warm air flow across the door rather than directly at the animal. You can also just put her into a warm bathroom until the coat dries completely.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:26 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,480,415 times
Jasper sounds like he is being skinned alive. He has had three baths since I have had him. He does a half hearted attempt at getting away, but realizes resistance is futile, and I am his master.

I have had cats where bathing is close to impossible, wrap up in towels, and they get it anyway. Especially when they are dirt filled. I bathed a Siamese, with claws, and he was a biter, he was a mean, cantankerous beast, I wrapped him in a towel, and put him in the warm bath, he screamed like a banshee being burned at the stake.

The noise is the woarst part.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 PM

4,983 posts, read 5,463,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I bathed a Siamese, with claws, and he was a biter, he was a mean, cantankerous beast,
Yep. I had one, too. He got out and was lying under the car and got oil on his fur.

Once I captured him, we went straight to the tub for an emergency bath. His protests were loud enough to cause a neighbor to come over but she understood that car oil had to be washed out, ASAP.

I still bear a small, white scar on my hand from that encounter many years ago.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:23 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,353,402 times
Hold onto the cat for dear life. Have the bathwater and everything you need all ready. Dunk and wash and rinse the cat as quick as you can, wrap tightly in a towel and once it calms down dry it. It will probably be too traumatized to endure a blow drying so just towel dry it good. If it is a long haired cat you might need to catch it later and comb it out.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:09 AM

29,614 posts, read 31,942,975 times
I used to give my cats a bath in the laundry sink in the garage. They just took it. My current cats would kill me so when they need a bath I take them to a groomer. I don't give them baths often though, just a wet wash cloth seems to work.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:49 AM

369 posts, read 561,124 times
When my cats needed a flea bath a few months ago I tried taking them to a groomer, but Neptune scratched the crap out of her assistant so she decided she couldn't bathe them and called me to pick them up. I learned that not all groomers know how to bathe cats who aren't declawed or sedated, and won't necessarily tell you this when you make the appointment. Anyway, I had to bathe them myself at home. I heated up water on the stove in my big stockpot (not boiling, but very warm), and brought it into the bathtub with a plastic cup. I scruffed Neptune with one hand and used the other to put on the shampoo and rinse it off with the cup. I had to get in the tub with him to have better control. I was kneeling and he squeezed himself between my legs but then he did tolerate the bath. I tried the same thing with Toby but he's bigger and stronger and was able to escape being scruffed. I ended up having to hold him against my chest and his feet scratched up my legs (but I made the stupid mistake of wearing shorts instead of jeans). So in the end I got just as much of a bath as they did, but it worked, and I would do it again the same way if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats