U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:35 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,978,939 times

Advertisements

Bobbles got into the unfinished part of our attic a week ago. She must have gotten into the walls of the house because she came out of the attic looking like she had been in a chimney. It was late in the evening, and I was packing to move my son out of state before the snowstorm hit. I took a damp washcloth and wiped her down. I tried scrubbing her boots and knee highs, but they didn't come clean. I had to leave town with her dirt. When I returned, it wasn't as bad but her white boots and knee highs are dingy off-grey/off-white. I have no clue how to give her a real bath since she has her claws. She's going to FREAK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 PM

4,036 posts, read 5,553,619 times
White boots? Knee highs?

When I used to wash my cats including a senior female cat, I would put a bucket of warm water in the shower enclosure. Then I would use a scoop to poor just a little bit of water at a time. I might put a small amount of the soap into the water bucket. After some scrubbing the cats would get pretty clean. My female wasn't happy but she would let me do it.

I stopped washing my two 8 year old boys because they don't enjoy it. They are both strong enough to be a hassle.

Not sure what I would do I all I had was a bathtub.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
White boots? Knee highs?
Her front paws have white bootie socks, and her back sport white knee highs.

I've given cats baths, but my Persians were docile. Bobbles was a feral when we found her at 4 weeks old. Even though she's tame, she'll fight me until her death over something like a bath.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:28 PM

4,981 posts, read 5,452,539 times
Most pet stores (and probably some places like Walmart & Target that have pet departments) have kitty towelettes that can be used to bathe a cat. Be sure to get one specially for cats because the cleaner is milder than one for a dog.

They are generally used to help keep ill or infirm cats clean when the cat isn't washing itself.

I only bathe cats in a tub when they've gotten into something like oil or paint that could kill them or make them sick if ingested. If I'm alone, I place a mat in the bathtub (or laundry room sink), pick up kitty, firmly hold her by the scruff of the neck while she's in the tub, while gently reassuring her, and quickly do what I have to do one-handed. Using a shower hose helps. I'm also fairly strong and have been bathing wayward cats for a lot of years.

Otherwise, use the towelettes! If you're slow and gentle, kitty probably won't mind a bit, and it'll be a lot less stressful.

Added: I have no financial interest in this product! This is just one example of a towelette:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Old 12-05-2013, 09:31 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
I would not give the cat a bath at all.
Many years ago we found a gray kitten living under the hoods of cars at a used car lot.
We took him home started feeding him slowly because we did not know how long since he had eaten and did not want to make him sick, did not actually see him for about a week after we took him home because he was hiding.
When we did see him again we discovered our gray kitten was pure white.
He cleaned himself up quite nicely and we had that cat for 15 years.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,411,016 times
She will tear you up if you try to put her in the tub (ask me how I know). If she is really dirty, or if you are afraid she may have come in contact with something like fiberglass insulation or something that you wouldn't want her licking off of her fur, you could call around and see if there is a groomer in your area who accommodates cats. They are out there, they know what they're doing, and they can safely contain her without injury or using anything to sedate her and give her a bath, also trim her nails and clean her ears if needed. Actually - your vet's office may have grooming services available or be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck - but I'm sure she'll still be adorable no matter if she's clean or dirty!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 6 days ago)

14,422 posts, read 16,686,996 times
I had one cat that loved water. My room mate was a bath fan and she'd be soaking away and the cat would jump in and play with the water. She's sneek in the shower too.

I've had to wash kitties who resisted but use the sink and a good grip on the ruff. If the cat really freaks then you might end up with a few lacerations. I agree that she should be bathed, but put some water in the sink first, just enough to test and see how she deals with getting the paws wet. It should be lukewarm and not neither hot nor cold. Have a water scooper ready too. If she goes beserkers, find a groomer. If not, try gently washing. She may want to run off and lick herself dry without your help.

My one cat managed to get a fly strip wrapped around her. I had to trim and then wash. Fortunately I had some of the tranks from moving on hand so I didn't need a visit to the ER myself. No more dangling fly strips either.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to fill the bathtub with a small amount of water---so it creates a beach. I'm going to put a couple of floating toys in it. The goal is to hope she starts batting the toys around, getting her paws wet in the process. She loves playing with water in the water dish, but I haven't seen her do that lately. Maybe I can revive her water fascination.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:30 AM

709 posts, read 1,944,983 times
Make sure the water is pretty warm, cats have a higher body temperature than we do, so what feels too warm to us is just right for them. Talk to her a lot in a clam, even tone and keep a good grip on her scruff, bathing in a petting motion with the other.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:34 AM

9,918 posts, read 19,688,069 times
I was looking through some old cat stuff we still have at the house and found a container of waterless cat shampoo. Maybe that would help. I remember the word miracle in the name and there is one called Miracle Coat so that is probably what we have, although I can't speak to how well it works because I don't recall using it. Getting a cat all wet is really a last resort I'd say. If you do use water for a bath, you only want a small depth like a few inches max. You would want a small bathroom you can close off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats