U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:37 PM

15,693 posts, read 9,700,813 times

Advertisements

Feral cats can be a challenge. I had Mama Cat in my office for 6 months while she had her kittens and even past that. Fed her every day, played with a mouse on a fishing rod with her, and generally spent a lot of time talking and hanging out with her. But she never lost that wild nature or gained trust in me. The final straw was when I put some treats toward her and she lashed out and attacked my hand. It was then I decided she would never be domesticated so I released her into the outdoors (after having her spayed).

She still shows up every night at my shop for dinner, but even when I am putting down her dish she is on high alert. Some of them never lose that feral-ness I guess.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 05:02 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,417,201 times
Hmmm....well, the only other things that come to my mind would be the change in the household since your son is gone - I recall you saying how close they had become and she had bonded with him early on. Do you have an old t-shirt or something with his scent on it that you could offer her and see if that soothes her any? Age wise - she is in the prime time for coming into heat really soon - around 6 months old. Those ol' hormones are powerful things - maybe she justs wants some lovin' (the really good kind). You might just check with the vet and see if they have something you could give her temporarily (Buspar or something similar) I don't think she qualifies as feral any more - she's been handled and loved to pieces since you met her. She's having growing pains for sure - maybe she needs another cat to claw the stuffing out of and give you a rest...the Basset apparently told her to pound salt and she leaves him alone now. I remember how interested he was at first - now he could care less. She wants attention!!! Good to know she isn't going to lose her home privileges!!!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:07 PM

4,630 posts, read 7,216,053 times
How old is Bobbles now?

Lily went from sweet kitty-to raging lunatic lioness always on the prowl to maim. She was truly terrible.

Once she was spayed.......what a difference. She was not spayed as early as I would have liked. Her original appointment was for the day Hurricane Charley hit SW Florida and totalled my home. So things were put off for a while until I got our home situation stabilized.

Charcoal at 20 months now, is in his rebellious "terrible twos" stage. It started about a month ago. Hopefully, it won't last too long. He's currently a one-cat destruction crew, and not acting like his usual sweet self. But all my cats have gone through it. They have to be reminded constantly about what is appropriate behavior and what isn't. Or in other words - I AM THE ALPHA person in this house!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:37 PM

9,824 posts, read 6,301,009 times
I'm on board with the others in thinking that spaying will help. Also, while you may be thinking that the one thing that's different in how she acts with you, and your other household members is because they laid down the law with her, that might not be it. Your son and your husband...obviously, male. The dog, also male? Are you not the only female (besides Bobbles) in the house? So maybe that's part of it..?

Also, no matter how everyone has said, tire the cat out, feed right before bed, etc. Often I don't have the energy or time for the amount of play my cat seems to want. And so even though he's been snuggled, played with, and fed, my cat is primed for night-time ferocious cat-shenanigans. Ya know, we can't tell the cat it's not time for play. You don't tell a cat what kind of mood it's supposed to be in. And if the cat is in frisky-mode, well. Just be careful, because cats are creatures of extreme habit. If you let her do something more than a couple of days running, it is hard to break.

Our routine for bedtime involves me walking through the house checking locks and lights, and Nimbus dashing up the stairs at the last minute to "tag" my leg (with no claws) after following me from ambush spot to ambush spot and sneaking and staring like a fuzzy little ninja. Then I go to bed and he leaves me alone until 3-4AM when he thinks he needs food apparently. *sigh*

Old 12-12-2013, 06:29 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
I think she's 7-1/2 months old now. I took her to be spayed right at 6 months. That was sometime in October because I was trying to get the spay done in time for her to move to Vermont with my son. But she needed that testing done on her liver and that postponed everything. She was to have the second liver test a month later, but I was out of state for two weeks moving my son. I've been recovering from the trip for the past week. I'm calling the vet tomorrow.

I am the only other female here. The Basset is a male. He was fascinated with her the first month, but she was a crazy feral that terrified him. They still try to play together, but they haven't found a translator. She still torments him, but he has finally learned how to send her away when she gets too rough. I'm proud of him for that because it was a concern. He just lifts his head growls at her, at the most twice a week. When he chases her, that's more like playing for both of them.

I'm sure my son's moving has been a significant change for her. She lived in his room with him for the first 6 weeks---which was when she was 4 to 10 weeks old. He fed her around the clock. He was her primary caregiver. I simply helped out. She definitely imprinted him as her mother. All cats lose their mothers, and she'll need to get over it eventually. My biggest fear is she'll hold a grudge against my son or not remember him. He'll be heartbroken because he has every intention of having Bobbles live with him in the future.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

Old 12-12-2013, 06:41 PM

4,616 posts, read 6,129,713 times
I would get her nails trimmed and lock her out of the bedroom at night.

I never let my cat sleep in my room when he was young. Now that he is old and calm, he gets those privileges....

Old 12-12-2013, 08:21 PM

7,636 posts, read 5,126,912 times
Don't know if it will solve the problem completely, but I think you'll see a big change in her after the spay. It very well could be a combination of hormones and your son moving away, not to mention she's at that 'wild & crazy' age. Lock her out of your bedroom until you can get her spayed. The problem may resolve itself. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:16 AM

Maybe Bobble's learned from our encounter the other evening. I allowed her in the bedroom last night. She didn't start off harassing me. She stayed away from shoving her face in mine and didn't push for me to roll over. She did her little paw thing on the blankets and pushing her head into my thigh instead. She didn't start harassing me until closer to morning. Instead of reaching out to pet her, I said "go away" and rolled over, keeping my hands under the covers. She kept it up but wasn't offended and eventually settled down somewhere. It seems that trying to give her affection gives her permission to play. Playing is fine but there's a time for play and it's not when I'm sleeping. So there's hope. I think the spaying will make a big difference.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 AM

We figured it out! We found a misplaced toy that she loved. It really gives her a stalking and hunting fix. It wears her out too. Ever since we found it, she hasn't been attacking me. Even though we had been playing with her, the other toys weren't giving her the fix she needed so she made me her prey. I'm glad we solved the mystery.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:42 AM

4,630 posts, read 7,216,053 times
How's she doing with all the upheavel in the house? You certainly scored HUGE with the cabinets!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats