U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 09:49 AM

369 posts, read 560,185 times

Advertisements

This idea might be completely crazy so I wanted to get some feedback on it. Neptune has a mood where he likes to gnaw on things - my fingers, pens and other similarly shaped plastic items, decor (there's one trophy and one candle holder that particularly entice him). I feel like he needs something safe to chew on when he gets this way, but the only thing I can think of would be like a chicken-flavored dog bone. I know nothing about dog bones and from a brief search on chewy.com I found that the things that are the right shape are all made of beef. I don't know if that would even appeal to him. Like most cats he adores chicken, so that would be a safe choice. I saw some long strips of chicken jerky, maybe that would work? Is it even safe to give dog treats to cats? He wouldn't be getting it often, not even every day, so I don't think it would hurt him but I like I said, I'm clueless about dog bones/treats.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 10:17 AM

2,050 posts, read 1,762,143 times
When our Sadie was young, I bought a very small Nylabone for her to chew on. It was for toy dogs, I think, and 4-5" long. I thought that would be safer than giving anything edible.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:01 PM

9,918 posts, read 19,678,662 times
Just watch out for the electrical and other similar cords! Amber used to chew these. I never could figure out a good way to redirect that chewing. I had to make them inaccessible. At one point a bought some kind of dog chew toy, and she ended up chewing off pieces and ingesting them! They came out okay but that was scary.

I have seen some jerky treats that are labeled for cats so it's not entirely out of the question I suppose. Just make sure it's not sourced in China, lots of recalls with dog jerky seems like. I don't know what kind of toy. It seems odd that there is not a cat chew toy, although I guess it's not really a typical behavior and thus doesn't really have a market.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:13 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,606,338 times
If it were my kitty I'd try a dog bone and as greg42 said I'd be sure they weren't from China. My Joe likes to tear up paper and has chewed on it as well. When he was young, about a year old, he decided to chew the corner of a term paper - it was for my psych 101 class, LOL Gave new meaning to 'the dog ate my homework,' I didn't have time to print it out again so had to turn it in with the corner perforated!

All of my cats liked the Ba Ba Q's dog treats, they're not chews but they ate them. I don't know if that would help, they're expensive but everyone loved them. I'm thinking I don't know what else to suggest. You might try baking something if you like to bake, or purchase something made locally and see if your cat likes that. You might also want to ask your vet to have a look and see if there's an emergent issue causing your kitty to want to chew or if it's just a personality quirk. I hope it's the latter and you can find something kitty likes to chew =)

Old 12-15-2013, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys. I have caught Neptune trying to bite cords and that's another reason I want him to have something appropriate to chew on. I think I'll try a small dog bone and some chicken jerky to see what works best.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 AM

This morning I had some extra time while I was on the other side of town where Petco is, so I went in to browse and got this for Neptune:

When I came home I gave him the one with the strings and he started playing with it right away (he loves strings) and then made a happy little noise and came over to me for petting, so I think it's a hit. Hopefully he'll like the other one for gnawing on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or