U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 06:57 AM

112 posts, read 208,404 times

Advertisements

We recently adopted Patches from the shelter, about 2-3 weeks ago. Since moment 1 he's the friendliest, happiest, cutest little cat ever seen! He spent his first 3 days straight purring and kneading. He even purred through a bath and 2 vet trips that included a shot and thermometer in the butt! So yea, he's a nice boy. They said he's about 3 years old, however, since he's never been inside he's got the mentality more of a kitten.

I noticed a couple instances just recently though that threw me for a loop. He found a toy mouse and he was playing with it very intensely and growling!!! If i went near him to take the mouse he'd growl even more! Even my other cat knew to just stay away (even though it was his mouse). He's played with other toys and not been aggressive, so I was thinking this is some "old habits die hard" deal and in his head he was back outside chasing mice, defending his food?!

And then last night, i'm sitting there watching tv eating a pizza bagel. As with all my other cats, he seems to LOVE the smell of cheese and wouldn't leave me alone. I was holding him at bay fairly well, but the second i looked away he jumped up and snatched my pizza off my plate! He carried it off with him and growled when i tried to take it away!!!!

Oddly enough i haven't seen him be aggressive with his food bowl. It just seems to be with 'food' he steals/catches. Will I be able to break him of this though? or will it go away? I feel like I got a dog :X
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 08:10 AM

4,626 posts, read 7,200,374 times
My first cat was born in a house. Never left the house except to go to the vet and to come home with me.

She stole our food all the time.

Try to take it away from her, she became a growling, snarling monster.

We just laughed at her. Eventually, she'd go on to do something else and we'd deposit the remains in the garbage.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 AM

2,050 posts, read 1,763,717 times
Our youngest cat was found as a tiny stray kitten, and though she's 5 now, she still has some of the same tendencies as your Patches. There are certain foods (such as chicken Liv a Littles) that she will hiss and growl if she gets a piece. Obviously, in five years she's never once been deprived of food, yet this odd habit continues.

It's possible Patches is still adjusting to regular, steady meals and will stop doing this. However. . like our Sadie, he may continue for years. :-)

Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 AM

15,577 posts, read 9,650,106 times
We have to remember that essentially feral cats are a wild animal and have to fight for their survival. It changes them somewhat, and even though we can generally get them to act like house cats, some of that ingrained fear and behavior will always be in them.

One Christmas I took a left over turkey carcass over to the shop to give the ferals I feed there a Christmas treat. As I was pulling meat off and giving it to all the kitties sitting around me, suddenly one cat we called Mama Cat (first Mama Cat, not current Mama Cat) ran up and grabbed the whole turkey in her mouth and tried to make off with it. It showed me the wild side of these cats.

I think if we ever tamed any of them and brought them in the house you would never be able to leave any food laying around for even a minute.

Don

Old 12-17-2013, 09:36 AM

4,787 posts, read 8,757,843 times
I would let the cat be. Don't make a problem where there is none. If the cat wants to play with a toy and warns the others away, then this is simply normal cat behavior. The other cats don't care. If they want to play with that toy, they'll wait until car # 1 is finished with it. Then they'll play.

If the cat steals a bit of people food, then just let it eat it. There is no need for you to take cheese from the cat. To a cat, these are simply high value items, as compared to dry cat food, which they seldom seem as important enough to defend.

Try not to impose human or dog behaviors on cats. Let a cat be a cat. We can teach out children to share, but this is not a concept a cat can develop. The cat is not being bad, he's just being a cat.

And thank you so much for adopting an adult cat. He has a good life now.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:07 PM

112 posts, read 208,404 times
Huh, more common then I realized! I guess the last cat we adopted from a shelter that was a stray first was younger, so he didn't have as much time on the streets to pick up these habits. I've had the occasion food theivery in the past, but not like this guy. Hopefully like was said, as he gets used to having food provided regularly (and good stuff too!) he'll grow out of it a bit!

And no, i'm not going to let him chomp on my dinner should he steal it... certainly not encouraging that :X And I learned I don't think it was just the cheese, I think it's just food. He's a hound in the kitchen and today leaped on the counter and landed right on the plate of egg salad i was prepping. That was a fun mess :P

Old 12-17-2013, 04:01 PM

4,787 posts, read 8,757,843 times
Keep some spray bottles filled with water near the places you frequent most in the house or want to keep the cat away from. Such as on a table next to an arm chair if you like to snack in front of the TV or on the counter.

Any time the cat comes near when you have food, say " no" and give him a squirt. Any time he comes near the counter, same thing " no" and a squirt. If the squirt bottle doesn't work for the kitchen counter pick up couple of Scat Mat strips and put them on the counter. These are plastic strips with low pulse, battery operated, static electric current through them. Will quickly teach cats that counters are a no -no. They're safe but effective. Google them.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:56 PM

15,577 posts, read 9,650,106 times
I just bought one of those motion activated air sprayers and put one in the spot where Lucky occasionally screws up on the floor. He got blasted the first night I put it there, leaped 3 feet in the air, and hasn't gone back there since. Only problem is, every once in a while we walk back there and get a little surprise too when it goes off.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or